Johnny Marr responds to Morrissey's open letter via Twitter (January 26, 2022)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you live long enough, you'll grow up eventually. This thing between the two of them right now doesn't tarnish a single thing about Smiths music. Don't wear your heart on your sleeve. Morrissey was right to stand up for himself, and Johnny's carbon-copy-2022-crap-mainstream response proves that, as it was very small-time, and disappointing to read.

In the pantheon of popular (and not-so-popular) music, you don't often find a much better songwriting team (pound for pound, limited time spent (compared to Stones, etc.) but still yielded high quality songs consistently - than Morrissey/Marr. However, I - like others here, sometimes forget about Morrissey's gigantic efforts and contribution towards everything that the Smiths were (lyrics, style, voice, record sleeves, interviews, image, etc). Johnny was very lucky that he had the opportunity to have someone else encourage him to keep pushing himself in that way, and one who was such a huge fan of his talent. Honestly, he should be nicer to Morrissey - even if nicer means simply means not commenting. Or, he could say something like 'It would be nice if we were on good terms' or 'It's a shame how that happened because we were very close' (instead of 'We've always been different'), and even still not act on it, just say it and go about his business (that's the adult thing to do). Morrissey had such a vision, such an original idea - and Johnny relied on him - in a similar way vice versa, but not so close to the same.

I think people are getting too bogged down in this Moz might be a serial killer thing, it was meant to distract.

As for the break up. Stephen Street said he was there, he said the issue was so small that he genuinely expected it to blow over in a few days or weeks, he could not believe that Johnny broke the band up over it, and that Johnny did announce in the studio that he was done.

That response from that illiterate child is just beyond embarassing. And it's no suprise that he is using the pile on, he is a tiny little street bully who can't handle his business like an adult man, his mouth writes checks his a$$ can't cash, what a disgrace.

Trump? Fake news? That's all he's got?

Hmm. Does this kid realize that means his dad is an old man too?
Exactly. I hate that ageist shitology. I was raised to treat elders with respect. Moz has done more and made more people happy than the vast majority of people ever do. And he's not exactly 120 years old either.

It takes a particularly unimaginative ungrateful upstart to call Moz an "old man". His own father would be unknown without Moz. Eejit.

I wonder what Angie thinks of all this.

Why Marr would even bother responding is beyond me. That letter was some teenage girl nonsense.
I wouldn't be surprised if it were angrily scribbled on Lisa Frank Stationery.

Here's to hoping future interviews get even more candid. May as well come out and say what half the world is saying, which is "Morrissey is an unwashed asshole." People can't fool themselves into thinking M is in any kind of glory days of his career, and he's done it to himself. Marr has been very kind so far if you ask me.

She got the house, and you got the Kill Uncle LP?
Fortunately I got half the house value 🤗
A Victorian three story ...
She’s so pleased never to see morrissey alive ever again ....

I’m so fortunate never to hear
2pac or biggy ever again
Weather the c***s are dead or alive
Or not .
A splendid separation I’d say

Yeah, you can't afford to be wasting time, get back to your Ladybird Book of the Law, now you've found out what libel means, you can move on and find another legal term to explain on a forum for no necessary reason. You're thick as pigshit because you can't follow the simplest argument laid out to you in the most basic terms:

1. Haslam is implying he has the dirt on Morrissey and could destroy his career by revealing what he knows in a few tweets.

2. Does he have evidence to support any allegations he makes? If he doesn't, then he's talking through his arse when he claims he's going to destroy Morrissey's career in a few tweets, because we all know he won't do it - Morrissey would sue his butt.

But hey, wade in again with your dumb ass, 'Things I Learnt Today in My Ladybird Book of Law' argument, and point out that something can be true eve if there's no evidence for it - like that's got anything to f***ing do with with the above points. I understand what you're saying, I understand that what you're saying has no absolutely relevance, and I understand that you're a complete f***ing moron.
Don't forget to wipe up with a tissue when you've finished.

Why Marr would even bother responding is beyond me. That letter was some teenage girl nonsense.
I wouldn't be surprised if it were angrily scribbled on Lisa Frank Stationery.

Here's to hoping future interviews get even more candid. May as well come out and say what half the world is saying, which is "Morrissey is an unwashed asshole." People can't fool themselves into thinking M is in any kind of glory days of his career, and he's done it to himself. Marr has been very kind so far if you ask me.

Now some have seen that it really bothered Mozzer i'm expecting Marr to get asked about it even more anyway.

Now some have seen that it really bothered Mozzer i'm expecting Marr to get asked about it even more anyway.
Same. I think Morrissey may know that this will serve to keep his name coming up in those interviews and that was the entire point of this letter. "Well, nothing else is working to get a label to put out my record, how about a feud? The media loves a feud."

Same. I think Morrissey may know that this will serve to keep his name coming up in those interviews and that was the entire point of this letter. "Well, nothing else is working to get a label to put out my record, how about a feud? The media loves a feud."

True, everyone loves some beef, even really old vegan beef.

Kind of makes me glad to be 'old':

Screenshot_20220127-003330~2.png
Screenshot_20220127-003346~2.png

In his own vernacular: "shit posts".
FWD.

For once Morrissey has a point. Having your name dropped by someone you haven't been friends with in a thousand years would annoy anyone.

I love Electronic but Marr's reply is just as bland as his solo albums.

If he keeps playing The Smiths on his tours, he’s going to keep getting asked about them, and if he’s asked about his days in the band then then the main draw is Moz! Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad he still plays The Smiths, I likely wouldn’t go see him live if he didn’t. But he can’t say don’t ask me about Moz when he’s still singing his lyrics!

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom