Johnny Marr podcast interview with Adam Buxton (Smiths/Moz content, recorded Nov. 2016)

New long interview with Johnny - plenty of interesting Smiths/Morrissey content:

Posted by Ossie:

Interview was recorded in November 2016 to promote Johnny's autobiography.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great stuff, could have done without the annoying breaks with irritating songs/samples.. makes it sound like a amateurish Shoutcast radio station from 2001.

I think this might be the first time I have heard someone quiz Johnny regarding specific things Morrissey wrote in his autobiography, (rather than just a blanket "I haven't read it - no comment"), which is interesting. Sounds like Mike Joyce is still on his shit-list as well.

I like the guy's analogy about Morrissey's autobiography going off piste when he gets to the court case:

"I love a good dispute but this was like being cornered by a drunk guy at a party who just can't stop telling you about his divorce and what an absolute ungrateful cow his wife is."

Just got back in, listening to this. It's probably one of the most complete interviews/chats about The Smiths I've ever heard. Terrific stuff.

Superb interview. Buxton often does great podcasts and I recommend subscribing.

The silly music is his “thing,” I’m afraid, but as intrusive as it is it is worth struggling through.

Odd though to sit on it for a year. I assume Marr agreed to do it as part of his promotion for his book.

Great interview. Interesting things to hear Johnny say was a) that he didn't think Andy and Mike should have been on 25%, b) that he didn't really want to stay in The Smiths much longer and c) it really was that they had no manager that forced his hand and made him leave. I've never heard him talk in the past tense so much about The Smiths and Morrissey cos he normally skirts over personal details.

Reckon did John Maher talk about his epic 1-1 games at his backyard basketball court at his home in Portland, Oregon? Manchester son? Warm summer days outdoors. I think Portland is even further away from Manchester than LA.

Brilliant interview, has lots more info than was in his book. He speaks so warmly and fondly of Morrissey in the early days. Moz is probably listening to this and crying. I know I did.

Really fascinating listen, especially the part when he says he always thought Morrissey was destined to be a solo artist and that Marr always saw himself playing/calibrating with different bands/artist.

maybe if they had a manager they may have gone on to make another album or two but i think the split was inevitable.

Last edited:
An incredibly likable interview/conversation. I really enjoyed listening to this.

yes great interview. Marr's so loyal to M, as he should be.;)

Excellent stuff. I never knew they actually "took him away in a police car." And I think I would have preferred The Headmaster Ritual in its original acoustic form...

I love listening to his passion about those days and the band. I can't help breaking out into a huge grin whenever Marr just picks up a guitar a plays. I never tire of listening to his genius.

I've listened to this podcast 3 times now. I've come to the conclusion that Johnny Marr is as much a genius at talking as he is playing the guitar.

Really fascinating listen, especially the part when he says he always thought Morrissey was destined to be a solo artist and that Marr always saw himself playing/calibrating with different bands/artist.

maybe if they had a manager they may have gone on to make another album or two but i think the split was inevitable.

I've heard/read many Johnny Marr interviews but can't recall where he's quite expressed things the way he did here. He summed it up well when he said that everyone got what they wanted in the end.

I do know what Marr and you mean and I'm not playing with words here but as a singer and composer Moz obviously needed to collabotate with many musicians as he did, cause he didn't play any instruments himself. So I am not really sure about the differences, if there are any at all with regards to being solo or with a band.
As Moz had a band.

The option he would return to pre Smiths days after they split, and settle with his Stretford poet occupation wasn't available anymore.
For some that might be a dissapointment, :rolleyes: for others, like me, a great joy. :thumb:

I do know what Marr and you mean and I'm not playing with words here but as a singer and composer Moz obviously needed to collabotate with many musicians as he did, cause he didn't play any instruments himself. So I am not really sure about the differences, if there are any at all with regards to being solo or with a band.

The main difference is that - as a solo artist - Morrissey is 100% in control of everything. He decides where and when the band tours, picks the setlist, what T-shirts they wear, what hairstyles they have, who's going to produce the new album, which song gets picked as a single, who's in or out of the band etc. While I'm sure he got his own way most of the time in the Smiths (even if it was just by the tactic of refusing to answer the door for things he didn't want to do, or disappearing midway through recording sessions), now he doesn't have to even consider anyone else's opinions. He is entirely in charge of his destiny now - so yeah, I think that's a fairly big change.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom