Johnny Marr podcast interview with Adam Buxton (Smiths/Moz content, recorded Nov. 2016)

New long interview with Johnny - plenty of interesting Smiths/Morrissey content:

Posted by Ossie:

Interview was recorded in November 2016 to promote Johnny's autobiography.

Last edited by a moderator:
The main difference is that - as a solo artist - Morrissey is 100% in control of everything. He decides where and when the band tours, picks the setlist, what T-shirts they wear, what hairstyles they have, who's going to produce the new album, which song gets picked as a single, who's in or out of the band etc. While I'm sure he got his own way most of the time in the Smiths (even if it was just by the tactic of refusing to answer the door for things he didn't want to do, or disappearing midway through recording sessions), now he doesn't have to even consider anyone else's opinions. He is entirely in charge of his destiny now - so yeah, I think that's a fairly big change.

I see what you mean but that 100% in control, isn't it more or less impossible, or at least not always possible?
I mean I don't consider the results always satisfied him.
Maybe that 100% of control is doing him more harm then good?

I do know what Marr and you mean and I'm not playing with words here but as a singer and composer Moz obviously needed to collabotate with many musicians as he did, cause he didn't play any instruments himself. So I am not really sure about the differences, if there are any at all with regards to being solo or with a band.
As Moz had a band.

I may be wrong but I think Johnny was also talking about Morrissey's personality. I get the impression He likes to be in control, which is something he didn't have in The Smiths. As a solo artist he has the best of both worlds. He has multiple musicians writing music for him, which he can pick and choose from. He decides which songs make it on to the album. Which songs are released as singles etc.

I may be wrong but I think Johnny was also talking about Morrissey's personality. I get the impression He likes to be in control, which is something he didn't have in The Smiths. As a solo artist he has the best of both worlds. He has multiple musicians writing music for him, which he can pick and choose from. He decides which songs make it on to the album. Which songs are released as singles etc.

Okay, I understand.
I see your point.
Let's say he got what he wanted.
Maybe Johnny Marr got what he wanted too.

I think the fact that they've never really been close to a reunion or even working together proves that.

So you don't believe the reunion was close as they discussed it at that secret but famous meeting?
And you don't believe in the special bond they had as friends when they started The Smiths? The bond existed for their great love and passion for the same music, that can make you friends, but all the romantic stuff, the up against the world ethics, they were two different kind of people. I'm not saying any denigrating thing about it but it seems part of the cultus being built around them.
And that music was pure genius of course.
They had that click and I guess you can only have that with that personal feeling you have for a friend.

Not true. Before Johnny went off with The Cribs, he talked to Moz about a reunion.

Yes, thought so too.
I've read it here on this site.
The site almost collapsed.

Not true. Before Johnny went off with The Cribs, he talked to Moz about a reunion.

I was aware that they both had a discussion about it. But from what I remember from that Johnny interview, things didn't progress much further than that.

They spoke and Marr said Moz sounded open to it but never spoke of it again.

A big part of me believes it's Moz just wanting to know Johnny will have him back.

Yeah I agree. It seemed to me that Johnny wanted it and brought the subject up for discussion and that morrissey wasn't really into it and didn't follow through

I'm fairly certain that Johnny going off with the Cribs was what killed any chance of a reunion. I think Morrissey probably wanted him to drop everything to reunite. I've heard an interview where Johnny said he couldn't drop his obligations for a reunion (before the news of the secret meeting came to light). And we know how Moz felt about Johnny working with other people.

Yes - the key difference remains the same after all these years - Morrissey wants Johnny to be 'faithful' to him, and exclusively his. Johnny wants the freedom to go and do other stuff and play with other people. 'Monogamous me, promiscuous him' - as he put it. I think the whole "Yeah - I'm up for reforming the Smiths - I've just gotta do this tour with the Cribbs first' flared up Morrissey's jealousy again, and got him feeling like he was second best, so he pulled out.

It's a shame really - I do genuinely believe that if he was less clingy when it came to Marr, the pair of them could easily come together ever five years or so for a new Smiths collaboration, then go their own way and do their own thing for a bit, and both be happy and get the best of both worlds. But obviously it's never going to happen. Such is life.

I'm fairly certain that Johnny going off with the Cribs was what killed any chance of a reunion. I think Morrissey probably wanted him to drop everything to reunite. I've heard an interview where Johnny said he couldn't drop his obligations for a reunion (before the news of the secret meeting came to light). And we know how Moz felt about Johnny working with other people.

You seem to have got this completely the wrong way round - it was Marr who suggested the reunion. Morrissey just didn't follow up on the suggestion after their meeting. In his autobiography he says words to the effects of going through the break-up of the Smiths is only something that should happen once.

Ah I don't believe Johnny when they talk about the scene in Morrissey's autobiography of him and Moz meeting up post-smiths and pre-court case (think it's the part where they go on a drive together- oddly not mentioned in Johnny's book) and the host brings up how Morrissey said that he didn't know why Johnny split up The Smiths. At first Johnny genuinely sounds disappointed to hear that but then goes "Well he's just saying that in his book. Everyone around knows what went on."

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom