Johnny Marr podcast feat. 'Whether he worries about Morrissey ruining The Smiths’ legacy' - WFPK

Consequence of Sound present a podcast featuring Johnny via Kyle Meredith.
Kyle Meredith With… is an interview series in which WFPK’s Kyle Meredith speaks to a wide breadth of musicians.

Johnny Marr On Why He Turned Down The The’s Reunion and Whether He Worries About Morrissey Ruining The Smiths’ Legacy.

He also discusses his new solo album and future collaborations with Hans Zimmer.

Podcast (17:00 - box set discussion leading in to the 'legacy' question):

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/06/kyle-meredith-johnny-marr/

There are various formats for this audio interview - YouTube was the easiest to share.
Regards,
FWD.

(just seen this link in the Hi Hello/Marr thread after posting - it didn't show in similar articles - hence repeat info. Included in 'general' as it directly relates to Morrissey).

Last edited by a moderator:
The Morrissey/Smiths bit of the above Marr Guardian interview:

"You’re often asked about Morrissey expressing controversial views. Does it feel disloyal criticising him – or that you’re his keeper?
It’s just been so long – a lot can happen in 30 years. Morrissey and I were always different – everybody knows that. I understand why I’m asked – we were a big group, we’re still a huge group. But being his keeper, being disloyal, doesn’t come into it, because I do have a life.

How do you feel now about the Smiths’ royalties court case [won by his bandmates Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke]?
I resented it at the time, but you just get on with your life. It’s just part of being in a big band – drug busts, deaths, court cases… sometimes all three.

I think it’s now illegal to interview you without asking the question... is there going to be a Smiths reunion?
[Laughs] No."

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
The Morrissey/Smiths bit of the above Marr Guardian interview:

"You’re often asked about Morrissey expressing controversial views. Does it feel disloyal criticising him – or that you’re his keeper?
It’s just been so long – a lot can happen in 30 years. Morrissey and I were always different – everybody knows that. I understand why I’m asked – we were a big group, we’re still a huge group. But being his keeper, being disloyal, doesn’t come into it, because I do have a life.

How do you feel now about the Smiths’ royalties court case [won by his bandmates Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke]?
I resented it at the time, but you just get on with your life. It’s just part of being in a big band – drug busts, deaths, court cases… sometimes all three.

I think it’s now illegal to interview you without asking the question... is there going to be a Smiths reunion?
[Laughs] No."

Regards,
FWD.

Of course there wont be any reunion, Moz has now a band that can actually play their
instruments properly and with a sense of variety.
Moz and Drama J are different, thank you :frogface: for pointing out the obvious. Drama J is in a multi verse
of his own. With
:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: and his CALL the COMET:drama: hes not what you would call a normal well adjusted human being.doh:

One thing that is terribly annoying about this whole Morrissey controversy, is that social media is full of thicketts saying “no wonder Marr dosent want a Smiths reunion..” and so on. But it is clear neither of them want that!
If anyone thinks Moz would sacrifice playing “All You Need Is Me” by playing “Well I Wonder” with his old mate Johnt then they are mistaken!

To be fair, Marr handled those questions very well, distancing himself from Moz, without tarnishing their past relationship.

One thing that is terribly annoying about this whole Morrissey controversy, is that social media is full of thicketts saying “no wonder Marr dosent want a Smiths reunion..” and so on. But it is clear neither of them want that!
If anyone thinks Moz would sacrifice playing “All You Need Is Me” by playing “Well I Wonder” with his old mate Johnt then they are mistaken!

To be fair, Marr handled those questions very well, distancing himself from Moz, without tarnishing their past relationship.

:crazy:
Drama J would sell his :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: for a shot at a reunion. FFS. Moz is the one who says no, since he has had a successful career. :frogface: does gigs for a tenner, but like the other lawnmowers have to act like rock stars, despite being virtually unknown.

Also recent, for indievidualist.de

And last but not least – a super random one, since I’m working on moving there – what is the best thing about your hometown Manchester?
Oh, wow. The best thing about it is that it’s a place where you are kind of expected to be doing something. (.....) And hey, how many amazing poets have come out of Manchester? Wether it’s Mark E. Smith, Ian Curtis, Shaun Ryder or Morrissey – it’s good. You’re in the right place.

Also recent, for indievidualist.de

And last but not least – a super random one, since I’m working on moving there – what is the best thing about your hometown Manchester?
Oh, wow. The best thing about it is that it’s a place where you are kind of expected to be doing something. (.....) And hey, how many amazing poets have come out of Manchester? Wether it’s Mark E. Smith, Ian Curtis, Shaun Ryder or Morrissey – it’s good. You’re in the right place.

On the minus side, many trolls were born and nurtured there, Skinny/Surface, Chezz, the list goes on and on.o_O one reason Moz took an exit.
Also layabouts like Mike and Andy.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom