Johnny Marr podcast feat. 'Whether he worries about Morrissey ruining The Smiths’ legacy' - WFPK

Consequence of Sound present a podcast featuring Johnny via Kyle Meredith.
Kyle Meredith With… is an interview series in which WFPK’s Kyle Meredith speaks to a wide breadth of musicians.

Johnny Marr On Why He Turned Down The The’s Reunion and Whether He Worries About Morrissey Ruining The Smiths’ Legacy.

He also discusses his new solo album and future collaborations with Hans Zimmer.

Podcast (17:00 - box set discussion leading in to the 'legacy' question):

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/06/kyle-meredith-johnny-marr/

There are various formats for this audio interview - YouTube was the easiest to share.
Regards,
FWD.

(just seen this link in the Hi Hello/Marr thread after posting - it didn't show in similar articles - hence repeat info. Included in 'general' as it directly relates to Morrissey).

Last edited by a moderator:
He is supposed to be taking a shot at Moz by doing Big Mouth at the beginning of his show but nobody even knew it was Big Mouth. Nobody can make out a single word of any of the songs his sings.
Poor poor :frogface:

He should form a "supergroup":rofl: with Mike Andy and Alan Whyte. Play weddings.

Anyways, IT IS MORRISSEY WHO IS keeping the legacy
alive and protecting it by continuing to carry the torch that made The Smiths great. It's everyone else (media, public opinion)who seem to be doing everything to harm it or interviewers like this trying hard to to stir the pot when there isn't even a pot. Johnny can care less, he's living his life doing his thing.
How many reissue of TQID?????
Isn't protecting, it's just a financial interest.... Notthing more, that's all.

Past the pub that wrecks your body
And morriSSey - He just want your money

:lbf: oh Johnny ! Sounds great, though in my opinion Johnny knows what pleases the audience ( and why not?) but, as his lyric change reveals he knows playing those songs, going through the motions... it's just an old joke rehashed.
And morriSSey don't know what pleases the audience?
I saw the concert of Johnny Marr in Paris, two weeks ago and the last gig of morriSSey in Paris, in... 2015, and I can tell you that Marr's concert was far superior to that of morrissey ....
Did you see Marr in concert ... no, so do not talk about what you did not see (or just look behind your screen at YT .....)

When did he start wearing his guitar so low?
So.....

He is supposed to be taking a shot at Moz by doing Big Mouth at the beginning of his show but nobody even knew it was Big Mouth. Nobody can make out a single word of any of the songs his sings.
Poor poor :frogface:
He should form a "supergroup":rofl: with Mike Andy and Alan Whyte. Play weddings.
Please,
for the welfare of humanity, start eating meat again ... it will save you from telling the enormities ...... :sick:
Or simply, buy a brain .... Well, if you find the store... :tiphat:

Well he didn't say he was done collaborating, I think it was more along the lines of he wasn't going to be in someone else's band like he was in Modest Mouse or the Cribs. Which makes sense. He can still write songs with bands without being a touring member.

That Modest Mouse album was the best thing he did after The Smiths.

Marr can do whatever he wants, but I don't think he's a very good singer/lyricist. Surely he could find someone better to sing and write the lyrics. I think he'd do well to put together a totally new band with perhaps a female singer/lyricist, as I think a feminine voice goes well with his music. Johnny on vocals is just really dull and lame and his lyrics don't say anything to me about my life. Sorry.

Your defend-at-all-costs position is risible. But maybe I'm being unfair - maybe you like racist arseholes - maybe you ARE one, and maybe you LIKE tuneless shite.
Just because someone likes LIHS is no reason to attack them. Would you like everyone to hold the same views as you? A world of UncleSkanky clones would disintegrate as soon as they learned to speak the word c*** cos that's all they'd ever say.

Johnny turned down a The The reunion? The cheek of The Smiths splitting skankmeister! Only joking, but I'd love to hear proper new The The songs.
Aside: I always thought Johnny would make a fine addition to New Order.

' same old joke since 1982'

:lbf: oh Johnny ! Sounds great, though in my opinion Johnny knows what pleases the audience ( and why not?) but, as his lyric change reveals he knows
playing those songs, going through the motions... it's just an old joke rehashed. When did he start wearing his guitar so low?

I wish Morrissey thought more about pleasing the audience... we'd see much better set lists. :thumb:

Johnny turned down a The The reunion? The cheek of The Smiths splitting skankmeister! Only joking, but I'd love to hear proper new The The songs.
Aside: I always thought Johnny would make a fine addition to New Order.
Love the idea, but it would probably end up as Johnny playing 2nd fiddle to Bernard which I can't see him stomaching. It didn't seem that Electronic ended well but there doesn't seem to be bad blood. I saw Johnny open for NO a few years back - both were great!

Last edited:
there is an opening in this group:
images

Perfect fit for DJ.

I reckon me wish John Maher would talk about his awesome basketball court he built in his backyard at his home in Portland, Oregon. I recon if he invites Steve over to shoot hoops. I reckon LA is only 2 hours and 2o minutes from Portland by plane.

What time does Johnny speak on Moz/Smiths? It's pretty loud where I am right now, so I don't have the luxury of listening to the whole thing and skimming, I didn't hear anything about it.
It's at the 19:00 mark.

Has anyone in the podcast asked him why the title of his 'book'? Set the BOY Free, seeing that he is 55 years old, why the titleo_O?
All that ' I need to sort out my haircut' was :eyes: raising, but the Setting the BOY Free? :menholdinghands:

Just because someone likes LIHS is no reason to attack them. Would you like everyone to hold the same views as you? A world of UncleSkanky clones would disintegrate as soon as they learned to speak the word c*** cos that's all they'd ever say.
It's a pattern of behaviour, matey, that's what I was commenting on. And such a potty mouth. I must be a terrible example.

Just because someone don't likes LIHS is no reason to attack them.
Just because someone don't like the point of views of morriSSey is no reason to attack them.
etc.....

Well he didn't say he was done collaborating, I think it was more along the lines of he wasn't going to be in someone else's band like he was in Modest Mouse or the Cribs. Which makes sense. He can still write songs with bands without being a touring member.

He elaborates a bit in an interview with Lauren Murphy on the Irishtimes. Com music section. Also an interview in the culture section by Tanya Sweeney with Dave Haslam referencing Morrissey then and now in light of his recent statements

He elaborates a bit in an interview with Lauren Murphy on the Irishtimes. Com music section. Also an interview in the culture section by Tanya Sweeney with Dave Haslam referencing Morrissey then and now in light of his recent statements

From the Dave Haslam interview

Some elements of the scene have remained more unpredictable than others. Few could have predicted Morrissey’s descent into full-blown curmudgeon. Even Haslam is confused by the singer’s recent proclamations; among them, that Hitler was “left wing” and that multiculturalism leaves places “with no culture”.

“I just don’t recognise the Morrissey of today,” sighs Haslam. “The Morrissey I hung out with from ’83 to ’85 was a genuinely informed, charming, interested young man. The bitterness and hate he seems to have now … The lack of charm is mind-boggling. I don’t think it helps when you live abroad surrounded by sycophants. There should be a helpline set up for fans dealing with the 21st-century version of Morrissey.”

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom