Johnny Marr plays "Stop Me..." on "The Tonight Show"

Hello P.,

On the last few concerts the Singer has been flashing a new backdrop ~

image073.jpg

~ Did 10 years with the toffees back in the 60s.

All together now: It's A SIGN!

The name of the new band for 2015? It's gonna happen. Right Uncle?

Hello P.,

image073.jpg

Beyond spooky. I'm off down the bookies.

P.

Hello P.,

image073.jpg

He's toying with us, the bastard. :lbf:

Is there anyone out there thinking he had no right to play that song ? Is there a difference between playing this song in concert and singing it on national television? I'm curious and I'm admittedly stirring it.

Is there anyone out there thinking he had no right to play that song ? Is there a difference between playing this song in concert and singing it on national television? I'm curious and I'm admittedly stirring it.

"Stop me..." is a web-only bonus. That is, it wasn't shown on TV.

Not to split hairs here, but if it makes a difference, he didn't actually perform Stop Me on television—he did it in front of the studio audience, but it wasn't broadcast. It's a web exclusive.

I don't really understand why, but watching video of Johnny performing Smiths songs (or more to the point, singing Morrissey's lyrics) has a negative effect on me that's really not justifiable. Seeing him do the songs live/in person is different, for whatever reason—maybe because I get caught up in the moment easily when I'm at a show. He has every right to play Smiths songs live, of course; they're as much his as they are Morrissey's. I dunno. There's no reason, just irrational emotion.

Morrissey did This Charming Man on Kimmel and Jonathan Ross back in 2009..it happens

and Johnny played How Soon is now last time he was on Fallon.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting to me how most Johnny Marr-related items get moved to "Other Music" while others get report as "News" or stay on "General Discussion." What's the criteria? A certain arbitrary percentage of Smiths-related content has to be met? Another fascinating aspect of Morrissey-solo pathology: if a Johnny Marr item remains here, it invariably devolves into comments about how "Morrissey is better," "Johnny can't sing," "I rather prefer Morrissey's band nowadays." Again, I ask: why does there have to be a "winner?" We have NO PERSONAL STAKE in their relationship (or lack of one).

BG: JM has every right to play ANY Smiths song he wants, wherever he wants. He is one of the composers, 50/50. Morrissey has been plying his trade with HIS 50% of Smiths songs since 1995; what should prevent Johnny? I'm sorry that you feel this strongly about it - maybe it's just a matter of seeing it on a TV/computer screen versus a live setting? I can only speak for myself, but, having seen him live sober as a judge, there is still a transportative quality to the music on these songs as played by JM. Others obviously feel the same way about Morrissey's renderings - as do I, in some cases. All's fair.

(But's let not get started on "This Charming Man". ;))

I saw Marr this past Sunday at 9:30 in DC and I thought his solo rendition of Smith's songs were great. Of course his singing is no Moz's, but he can sing better than I can. And the music was better than anything Moz's band can produce. I see it as no different than Pete Townshend doing Who material on his solo shows and singing Daltrey's vocals. See Marr play Panic the 2nd song out of the gate was incredible. And he looked like he was having incredible fun playing Smith's material, along with Electronic, his solo work, etc...he looked like he was having a great time performing instead of just going through the motions for the paying audience. See some of my pics on the other tours forum.

Although I'm not crazy about Johnny's singing, one thing is certain....His band is light-years better than Morrissey's.

There's no comparison.

I REALLY wanna like this. I do. Johnny will always mean the world to me and by all accounts he's a great guy, but I can't help but feel disappointed by the performance. Some would suggest his vocals are at least decent most times, and this could be an example of poor sound for the show, I dunno, but they really aren't that good on this tune. They sound weak and of misplaced style. So, forgiving the vocal from the critique as many do when listening to him do Smiths tunes, I normally am pretty pleased with the music. Except I don't think the band as a whole were able to capture the song. It's pretty close, but still sounds off to me. Certainly listenable, but it sounds like another band playing a Smiths tune with Johnny. Not surprising because that's exactly what's going on. Not much different than what Moz does. The difference being, though, that when Morrissey's band play Smiths tunes they more often than not take the song and are seemingly more free to tweak it and change it and give it a different vibe at times. It's a freedom that Johnny doesn't seem to have because he was the music half and if he strays too far from the original, then he's not got much left. Moz's band get a lot of guff for not nailing the tunes, but I think that is missing the point as that's not what they're always aiming for. When they try to stay pretty true (say, on The Queen Is Dead), they are pretty good. When they try to make a song "their own", like Meat is Murder, it's great, too. There is always going to be that Moz vocal that holds it all together 99% of the time. Anyway, chalk all that gibberish up to a load of bollocks, lol. Don't know why I felt compelled to address it. It just seems like it's an "ok" version that gets raves because everyone really likes Johnny.

I want to go see Johnny this weekend, but my friend won't go with me. He won't listen to a Smiths song unless Moz songs it. I can understand that, but I want to go.

i think people just over thought marrs influence on the smiths albums and songs as the mounting mounting evidence of everything hes ever done since sounds not much like it and not of the same quality (an opinion). "johnnys the talent and morrisseys this charming enigma." this was believed to much but it is natural as he was the cool one while moz was the contrary and i dont think people wanted to believe otherwise and now kinda cant escape it or at least that it was tilted quite the way they thought. that vaguely said it is really weird with the bird tat on his neck and now this. i mean i just wanna put a slash between those two names so it reads johnny/morrissey (tonight live) but part of me also thinks he's trying to drum up some attention for his second solo album.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom