Johnny Marr plays ''Last Night I Dreamt...'' with The Last Shadow Puppets in Manchester

Uploaded by richie hoy
Published on Jul 10, 2016
LAST SHADOW PUPPETS AND JOHNNY MARR MANCHESTER CASTLEFIELD BOWL 10/07/16 LAST NIGHT I DREAMT THE SMITHS COVER

Last edited by a moderator:
And a funny tweet from Mike...

200whmq.jpg

Last edited:
alex is pretentious and he can't even sing. but still it's good to hear marr playing smiths song. he is the only person who plays smiths songs right

I like the singer's style, but the voice is anemic.
Didn't realize until part way through that it was Alex Turner.
F'in hell, did he grow a foot taller since the Arctic Monkey days??

And I thought Miles Kane would be a (trad) mod until death.

I guess I hadn't followed TLSP at all. How's their original music?

Nobody can sing the Smiths songs better than the one and only. Is somebody paying these so-called musicians to butcher what Morrissey so effortlessly mastered?

Is this the first time Johnny has ever played this song live? He doesn't do this one on his solo tours, right?

Pretty good. Nice to see Johnny Marr playing one of my favourites.
Alex Turner is very talented, but his performance shows just what an amazing singer Morrissey is.
No one can sing this song like he does.

I really like this.

This was one occasion where it really saddens me with what happened with the Smiths. Johnny plays this great, no-one can play his stuff like he can but then again, no-one can get near Morrissey singing it. Such a shame they can't do it together.

I really like this.

This was one occasion where it really saddens me with what happened with the Smiths. Johnny plays this great, no-one can play his stuff like he can but then again, no-one can get near Morrissey singing it. Such a shame they can't do it together.

yeah, i agree

Truly awful. The Last Shadow Puppets are awful. Too much coke and not enough choons.
And they say Morrissey is pissing his legacy away... Johnny Marr with his dyed hair and cameo appearances isn't far behind.

Heres a cover of The Fall Totally Wired too. Oh my f***ing eyes and ears

Nice to see Johnny playing this - but the band are shit - that vocalist is awful. I'd much rather see Johnny playing and singing this himself - even if he doesn't have the greatest voice at least he isn't a f***ing poseur.

Actually I can say exactly the same thing about the Alain Whyte video posted the other day.

Very nice to hear Johnny playing. I don't care one way or another about TLSP, but the lounge lizard stance of the singer is off putting.

Following up on my own post, this video puts a primary problem with many covers of Smiths songs in stark relief -- lack of emotion. Too often it ends up being about trying too hard to put an original spin on the vocals (This Charming Man cover from the other day), imitating the original as best as possible, or worst of all -- performing for the benefit of their own ego (which is how this clip comes across). The emotions that are the bedrock of Morrissey's original singing are nowhere to be heard. There are exceptions.

I like the singer's style, but the voice is anemic.
Didn't realize until part way through that it was Alex Turner.
F'in hell, did he grow a foot taller since the Arctic Monkey days??

And I thought Miles Kane would be a (trad) mod until death.

I guess I hadn't followed TLSP at all. How's their original music?

First time I heard the Arctic Monkeys' My Propeller, I thought it was Morrissey singing. Up until "An' 'av a spin on my propeller" it's quite convincing...

I personally think that The Last Shadow Puppets are a great band, but Alex could pick a diffrent song- perhaps "I won't share you" or "This night has opened my eyes".

What concerns me is what was Mike Joyce doing there, is this how he spends his sunday nights now?

A Sunday night show sounds pretty nice. I'm in a drought period of show attendance and if I could go I for sure would. I don't even like tlsp that much but I'd still go. Beats sitting in

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom