Johnny Marr plays ‘Bigmouth Strikes Again’ on Later with Jools Holland

How Soon Is Now.....(Jools Holland.. last show ... 2013)... 30 years on.... still brilliant... well played Johnny... LOVE IT

Exactly, spot on well done Johnny and co most of the knockers on here had'nt been shot from their Daddys sack or are "Yanky doosh bags" so we'll take no notice of them, but what I will say is "Watch and dream on Bozzy-Boy and Jessy-girls blouse"

Benny the Butcher

For those complaining about Johnny not having confidence in his own material and relying on Smiths songs - in his live gigs he has been performing his solo album in it's entirety (well, minus one song) every night, alongside usually 4 or 5 Smiths songs, and a couple of Electronic songs. And what did Morrissey play last time he was on Jools Holland? Oh yeah - 'There is a Light That Never Goes Out'.

I love Johnny Benny, he's my favourite musician that ever existed but his singing ruins it all for me. If only he'd found somebody else brilliant to work with who had a bit of emotion in his voice, after Moz.

For those complaining about Johnny not having confidence in his own material and relying on Smiths songs - in his live gigs he has been performing his solo album in it's entirety (well, minus one song) every night, alongside usually 4 or 5 Smiths songs, and a couple of Electronic songs. And what did Morrissey play last time he was on Jools Holland? Oh yeah - 'There is a Light That Never Goes Out'.

Is this a comment from 8 years ago?

The last time he was on Jools Holland he played 3 songs off 'Years of Refusal' and "The Last of the Famous International Playboys"...so, fail.

Well GA. I'm sorry but that is not going to happen, ever.

As much as you wish that they would find each other again - they are not lost. JM is a great guitarist but these songs are all about vocals, the voice and the statement. Morrissey has the talent and genius to turn these songs into little gems of magic. He does this now in 2013, just as he did back in 198x. Amazing.

Strawberry.

Morrissey has not turned these into little gems of magic. He has subpar musicians and he fails miserably at the old Smiths songs. He won't embrace his past, yet he still sings the songs. Can someone say hypocrite?

I'm just watching it again on catch up.
Johnny doing how soon is now is breaking my heart. The northern twang in his singing is so reminiscent of Moz.
I keep expecting a young Morrissey to appear from the wings and come on saying: "Hello you handsome devils" and swinging gladioli.
I honestly wonder if Morrissey has seen this footage and what he really thinks. If it was anyone else we may have heard criticsm from him by now, but seeing as it's Johnny we probably won't.

I'm just watching it again on catch up.
Johnny doing how soon is now is breaking my heart. The northern twang in his singing is so reminiscent of Moz.
I keep expecting a young Morrissey to appear from the wings and come on saying: "Hello you handsome devils" and swinging gladioli.
I honestly wonder if Morrissey has seen this footage and what he really thinks. If it was anyone else we may have heard criticsm from him by now, but seeing as it's Johnny we probably won't.

Morrissey may be one of the most judgmental public figures on the planet, but I cannot imagine him finding fault with this performance. Johnny plays it perfectly (of course), and sings it as best he can. Whenever J. Marr or Morrissey sing The Smiths they have to put up with the ghost of the other. I imagine it keeps the relationship alive, whether they like it or not.

Reminds me of John Lennon singing The Beatles as a solo act. John so wanted to distance himself from his past, but the songs meant the world to him, and so he sang. It must have pained him to hear "Paul would have played that so much better."

So it goes.

Regarding cover versions, I haven't heard any criticism from Morrissey and Johnny.

They actually complimented Tatu, Mark Ronson and Slow Moving Mille.
As an artist / creator, they respect each rendition.

I think they don't slag off each other playing Smiths songs with respective band members.

Some people always complain about it because they can't have what they want.

Last edited:
Regarding cover versions, I haven't heard any criticism from Morrissey and Johnny.

They actually complimented Tatu, Mark Ronson and Slow Moving Mille.
As an artist / creator, they respect each rendition.

I think they don't slag off each other playing Smiths songs with respective band members.

Audience always complains about it because they can't have what they want.

I just meant Johnny can do no wrong in Morrissey's eyes.
I am sure he has enjoyed some cover versions but loathed others.

Morrissey may be one of the most judgmental public figures on the planet, but I cannot imagine him finding fault with this performance. Johnny plays it perfectly (of course), and sings it as best he can. Whenever J. Marr or Morrissey sing The Smiths they have to put up with the ghost of the other. I imagine it keeps the relationship alive, whether they like it or not.

Reminds me of John Lennon singing The Beatles as a solo act. John so wanted to distance himself from his past, but the songs meant the world to him, and so he sang. It must have pained him to hear "Paul would have played that so much better."

So it goes.

I would imagine that an intense, creative relationship, such as they had, is probably like a marriage. There will always be love, tempered with a lot of resentment, jealousy, and "what ifs"; it is a connection that will linger forever. They might say that they want to distance themselves from the past, just as Lennon stated, but it is impossible, especially when the artists have such a loyal following. The songs that Marr and Morrissey composed are their greatest creations, and of course they have equal rights to their use; no one would deny Johnny that, but I just can't stand hearing anyone cover Morrissey except Morrissey.

lynnda

I enjoy Johnny Marr very very much.. But I have to admit.. I Love! him playing his guitar always will always have , I can hear him in all his his work he has done with other bands... The drummer rocks! If Morrissey was singing It would be Maybe Maybe Deja vu.. But hey mor power to Johnny Marr. He is a fabulous entertainer. Much Much respect to him. The sounds he makes with his guitar are just like magic. Is all. OH!! Another thing I'd go see him just as well.. I Love Loved The Smiths. Just as I love The Beatles. enough said.

Last edited:
I would imagine that an intense, creative relationship, such as they had, is probably like a marriage. There will always be love, tempered with a lot of resentment, jealousy, and "what ifs"; it is a connection that will linger forever. They might say that they want to distance themselves from the past, just as Lennon stated, but it is impossible, especially when the artists have such a loyal following. The songs that Marr and Morrissey composed are their greatest creations, and of course they have equal rights to their use; no one would deny Johnny that, but I just can't stand hearing anyone cover Morrissey except Morrissey.

lynnda

Oh yes - it's a marriage (and a particularly intense one): a mad, mad ride that only a handful of people on this Earth can share. The bigger it gets, the greater the pressure; unless you're very lucky that initial love can turn into something corrosive and smothering - a kind of betrayal. It takes a long time to heal after an experience like that, but sometimes the damage is done.

Fame is fatal in so many ways; for all the opportunity and income it affords it kills off a simple connection to the world that most people take for granted. J. Marr seems like the kind of down-to-Earth fella who can deal with it, but Morrissey seems like he never really had a healthy connection to begin with. Whatever the case, when you're a legend you cannot let go of the past and move on, because everyone loves you for what you're trying to escape. It's a strange, melancholy fate.

As far as cover versions go, I agree: the man is a singer of such complexity that he's virtually impossible to cover. Everyone can sing the words, but no one, not even the most accomplished vocalist, can match his strange intensity.

I love both johnny marr and morrissey and as long as either is performing these songs i am happy.

Oh yes - it's a marriage (and a particularly intense one): a mad, mad ride that only a handful of people on this Earth can share. The bigger it gets, the greater the pressure; unless you're very lucky that initial love can turn into something corrosive and smothering - a kind of betrayal. It takes a long time to heal after an experience like that, but sometimes the damage is done.

Fame is fatal in so many ways; for all the opportunity and income it affords it kills off a simple connection to the world that most people take for granted. J. Marr seems like the kind of down-to-Earth fella who can deal with it, but Morrissey seems like he never really had a healthy connection to begin with. Whatever the case, when you're a legend you cannot let go of the past and move on, because everyone loves you for what you're trying to escape. It's a strange, melancholy fate.

As far as cover versions go, I agree: the man is a singer of such complexity that he's virtually impossible to cover. Everyone can sing the words, but no one, not even the most accomplished vocalist, can match his strange intensity.

Well said, as always.;)

So true, only Morrissey is Morrissey. I was never even able to listen to a Smiths cover, it just seemed so wrong to hear another sing those words. I've been listening to them more now, and even the best are only pretty good.

I still enjoyed hearing Johnny's performance. Musically, amazing, naturally, as always! His band is excellent as well. His voice is only ok but I would definitely support him playing Smiths songs. His album is quite good and when he plays those songs his vocals never feel lacking, away from the comparison to Morrissey:)

Dear god, please reunite the Smiths so we don't have to hear Johnny Marr sing anymore.

Oh come on, he sounds great. Hearing Morrissey's band play his music is the exact same thing. I like his voice.

Heres hoping that morrisseys band have sky plussed the HD version of HSIN so they can properly see where the fingers are meant to be pressed on the guitars!

"As far as cover versions go, I agree: the man is a singer of such complexity that he's virtually impossible to cover. Everyone can sing the words, but no one, not even the most accomplished vocalist, can match his strange intensity"

Have you ever been/seen the cover band called Smiths Indeed ? Johnny, Mike and Andy (Craig maybe) could take their singer and go on a world tour and on the plus side we would'nt have to listen to "Ste-Mo's" silly rantings, everybody would be a winner even lazy Morrissey could earn some bread for doing nothing (he'd like that) Money for nothing.
I think the guy is Swedish and lives/lived in Liverpool, lets find him and get it sorted.

Benny the Butcher

"Who is Morrissey ? "

Heres hoping that morrisseys band have sky plussed the HD version of HSIN so they can properly see where the fingers are meant to be pressed on the guitars!

I have to put my fingers in my ears when they play it so yes fingers crossed but I can't see it myself you can't train an old polecat new tricks

we'll let you know

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom