Johnny Marr plays ‘Bigmouth Strikes Again’ on Later with Jools Holland

(Replaced earlier video)
NOTE: region restricted​

Last edited by a moderator:
New Town Velocity is a great 2nd single. Has dreamy quality about it . I love all the songs on the new album and hope it leads to another . May be Moz can write / sing a track on it. If Andy can get back with Marr ........ why not Moz ! I do not think Moz's ego would let it happen .....

Cringing. Couldn't watch 'Bigmouth...' all the way through.

I missed this so thanks for the links. Bless him, really glad he's out there with his band, doing it.

really like johnny's solo album

although can't make up my mind about him doing smiths songs, musically as you would expect it's great but vocals :confused:

Fridays Jools may be interesting, an audience member is said to have fainted when he plays 'how soon is now' :guitar:

I had to turn it off half way through the first song. His singing has to be up there with the worst on Earth.

No, no, no this is wrong, moz sings, johnny plays guitar!
Don't get me wrong I love Johnny but he does not meet Morrissey standard!

I agree! Just seems so odd to watch. I'm surprised he's comfortable with it. I wonder what Moz makes of it?!

It could very well be that Johnny is smarter than his choice of hair dye and relentless lapel badgery would immediately suggest, and that this whole 'thing' ~ solo LP & mega-tour is all part of a fiendishly cunning masterplan to force Morrissey to join him to finally sing their Smiths songs. Morrissey: "Anything, just to shut you up..."

Genius.

It could very well be that Johnny is smarter than his choice of hair dye and relentless lapel badgery would immediately suggest, and that this whole 'thing' ~ solo LP & mega-tour is all part of a fiendishly cunning masterplan to force Morrissey to join him to finally sing their Smiths songs. Morrissey: "Anything, just to shut you up..."

Genius.

Let's hope and pray you're right!

So Marr isn't confident enough in the solo material that he is promoting and play the Smiths...let's all believe him when he (and Morrissey) say "the Smiths are over, lets move on?"

Genius.

Haha! Love it! You could be so onto something there!

ACTON writes:

Johnny Marr was a guest on Jools Holland’s BBC2 music show last night (Tuesday). Johnny played some songs from his new album but finished the show with a rendition of ‘Bigmouth’. Great guitars…but felt weird listening to someone other than Moz singing those lyrics. By the way: On Friday night’s extended show at 11/05pm BBC2 Johnny will be interviewed.

Link to YouTube video of Bigmouth:

Last edited:
ACTON writes:

Johnny Marr was a guest on Jools Holland’s BBC2 music show last night (Tuesday). Johnny played some songs from his new album but finished the show with a rendition of ‘Bigmouth’. Great guitars…but felt weird listening to someone other than Moz singing those lyrics. By the way: On Friday night’s extended show at 11/05pm BBC2 Johnny will be interviewed.

Link to YouTube video of Bigmouth:

Last edited by a moderator:
J. Marr is as great a guitarist as Morrissey is a singer, and he plays The Smiths with a passion that no one else can summon up.

It's fascinating to see the two sides of the story: Morrissey still sings these songs like his life depends on it, but his band is simply not up to the artistic level required to do The Smiths songs real justice. J. Marr, who can play rings around anyone else when it comes to his own compositions, simply cannot summon up the complex emotional vocal mix that is Morrissey. He sings like Morrissey's band plays: competently.

There's far too much history between the two of them to make a reunion at all likely, but it's plain for everyone to see that they are two pieces of the same perfect puzzle. Somewhere, deep down, it must be frustrating for both Morrissey and J. Marr to know that, no matter how high they may rise on their own, they found their perfect match (and their greatest inspiration) in each other.

J. Marr is as great a guitarist as Morrissey is a singer, and he plays The Smiths with a passion that no one else can summon up.

It's fascinating to see the two sides of the story: Morrissey still sings these songs like his life depends on it, but his band is simply not up to the artistic level required to do The Smiths songs real justice. J. Marr, who can play rings around anyone else when it comes to his own compositions, simply cannot summon up the complex emotional vocal mix that is Morrissey. He sings like Morrissey's band plays: competently.

There's far too much history between the two of them to make a reunion at all likely, but it's plain for everyone to see that they are two pieces of the same perfect puzzle. Somewhere, deep down, it must be frustrating for both Morrissey and J. Marr to know that, no matter how high they may rise on their own, they found their perfect match (and their greatest inspiration) in each other.

you got this just right, anaesthesine. together they were perfection.

really like johnny's solo album

although can't make up my mind about him doing smiths songs, musically as you would expect it's great but vocals :confused:

Fridays Jools may be interesting, an audience member is said to have fainted when he plays 'how soon is now' :guitar:

Johnny tweeted this earlier ;)

BMJ0s1OCAAIzRse.jpg

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom