Johnny Marr performs "How Soon Is Now?" with Ronnie Wood at NME Awards; Marr Reddit AMA Feb. 28

Re: Johnny Marr performs How Soon Is Now? with Ronnie Wood at NME Awards

Johnny Marr and Ronnie Wood performing 'How Soon Is Now?' at the NME Awards

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE: 8:25 AM PT:

Johnny Marr Reddit AMA is now up:

Hello Reddit. My name is Johnny Marr. Guitar player with The Smiths, The The, Modest Mouse...and hey, I made a [solo album](http://www.johnny-marr.com/messengeralbum) this week! Going live at 11AM EST/4PM GMT. Ask me anything.

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/68932

Excitement mounts as Johnny Marr’s about to take to the stage to play a 6-track set to celebrate his GOLDLIKE GENIUS AWARD…

The tributes roll in…

“Tonight we hail the legend that is Johnny Marr,” says NME Editor Mike Williams. “He completely ripped up the rule book with The Smiths.

Noel Gallagher sends a video message: “You can’t imitate Johnny Marr. He’s in a class of his own. He makes the very difficult look easy”.

Brett Anderson: “Possibly the greatest guitarist of his generation.”

Ronnie Wood : “What a great guy. I’ve known him since he was a little chap. He’s just an innovator. Nobody deserves it more than him”

Johnny salutes crowd and says: “Woah, that was amazing seeing all that. Thanks very much to the NME – we go back a long way. Any 15 or 16 year olds reading the NME trying to get a band together, keep doing it. Don’t give up. Thanks very much I’m very touched. Thanks Ronnie”.

The zenith of the night is Ronnie Wood joining Johnny Marr on stage for an epic rendition of ‘How Soon Is Now?’ before ‘There Is A Light That Never Goes Out’. Special moments like this don’t come around often. Everyone’s hugging and going mental. Palma Violets are dancing, Jen from Exclamation Pony’s on her chair, Harry from Peace is breaking out some ‘Saturday Night Fever’ moves. It’s a new band love-in. The security guards have to pull members of Peace, Spector and Palmas off their seats. “Behave yourselves, you lot,” Johnny Marr says as he leaves the stage after a magnificent performance. Godlike, indeed.

marr_wood.jpg

Johnny Marr and and Ronnie Wood performing How Soon Is Now? at the NME Awards

An anonymous person also writes:

johnny marr will be doing a reddit AMA starting 11am eastern standard time 28th feb

just as it says.

ask him anything!

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice . Fun to see the joy of Marr and Wood as they played. Now waiting for Johnny's CD to arrive via mail from Amazon.

seen this Mr Tobias, and fatcat Boorer?

That's the way how it could be, enjoying ,...Boz like first years when you were a Lad of Morrissey's band

nuff

Last edited:
That was lovely. It shimmers when Marr plays it, and chugs along when he does not.

Oh, and Ronnie is a God, not just Godlike.

Re: Article: Johnny Marr performs "How Soon Is Now?" with Ronnie Wood at NME Awards;

That needs Morrissey.. Mr Marr can strum the guitar but oh brother the vocals kill it.

Re: Article: Johnny Marr performs "How Soon Is Now?" with Ronnie Wood at NME Awards;

Nice - if you like an easy listening arrangement and truly terrible vocals.

Re: Johnny Marr's doing an IAMA on reddit 11 AM eastern standard time USA on FEB 28th

Ronnie Wood? ffs :rolleyes:

That is how you piss on a legacy.

At least they can swap hair care tips, whilst 'jamming' :guitar:

Re: Johnny Marr's doing an IAMA on reddit 11 AM eastern standard time USA on FEB 28th

Ronnie Wood? ffs :rolleyes:

That is how you piss on a legacy.

At least they can swap hair care tips, whilst 'jamming' :guitar:

How on earth is that “pissing on his legacy”?
Johnny has been an obsessive Rolling Stones fan since he was a teenager, why would he turn down the opportunity to play with one of his heroes? Is Morrissey “pissing on his legacy” by playing with Patti Smith?

You're right about the hair though...they look like twins.

That was lovely. It shimmers when Marr plays it, and chugs along when he does not.

Oh, and Ronnie is a God, not just Godlike.

Hey Johnny I'm so pleased for you its well over due that, anyway I predict theres going to many more awards for you matey.
Its thanks to you I picked up guitar -O.C.D. The greatest illness I ever picked up, its a terminal illness that I shall have for the rest of my life, every day I wake up and think my life is just BOOM. Thankyou Johnny keep it up.

Ann Coates

seen this Mr Tobias, and fatcat Boorer?

That's the way how it could be, enjoying ,...Boz like first years when you were a Lad of Morrissey's band

nuff

Yes well said celibate, may I also be so kind to add to your post the following ! In the direction of these two sultans of twang (clear throat cough)

Lesson 1. This is how to hold the guitar !

Now go and practice and report back next week.

Very nice . Fun to see the joy of Marr and Wood as they played. Now waiting for Johnny's CD to arrive via mail from Amazon.

And surely the 'Cock-like' award should go to none other than Boz Boorer for that time when he made a right cock of himself and fell over on stage breaking his guitar and tried to carry on like nothing happened ! Still laughing my nuts off ha ha ha,

Can somebody please post it up again its absolute quality and would be in its rightful place on this board.

Thankyou for the laughter Boz, stop please my stomach is sore now ! Stop.

In the future ! Al.

How on earth is that “pissing on his legacy”?
Johnny has been an obsessive Rolling Stones fan since he was a teenager, why would he turn down the opportunity to play with one of his heroes? Is Morrissey “pissing on his legacy” by playing with Patti Smith?

You're right about the hair though...they look like twins.

Keith Richards, I could understand. I don't get it myself (not a guitar hero-worship kind of guy) but it's obvious that Marr is a Keef obsessive (just from the hairstyles alone over the years) But Ronnie Wood? He tagged along once the Stones were deep into their tax-exile, bloated wank era, only cos Mick Taylor couldn't handle the chemical load.

The notion of him on a Smiths song is so laughable that it's not even funny. But then it's Johnny's call I suppose, "as curator of all things Smiths" so his press release goes.

Patti Smith was, and remains, a vibrant artist. Ronnie Wood...isn't.

Last edited:

Johnny's great and I hate the idea of saying anything against him but honestly....get yourself a lead singer.

Please stop singing.

You're a terrific guy and a wonderful talent but.....Please Stop Singing.

Please. Stop. Singing.

Yes well said celibate, may I also be so kind to add to your post the following ! In the direction of these two sultans of twang (clear throat cough)

Lesson 1. This is how to hold the guitar !

Now go and practice and report back next week.

well if I read the his first gig and ano comments, I'd say you have a busy life on this site as
anonymous

I've nothing against Tobias and Boz Boorer, but ' ONLY' isn't Marr a controlfreak, and doesn't let
his band whole tour,one dressed as a woman, I can't imagine that's what a polecat want, a Legend in Rock-a-Billy history

NOT let his band waer speedo's and T shirts with a statement [like soloW] , like Morrissey

I remember 'real' Lads in the 1991 Uncle and 1992 show

I saw some people make fun of Ronnie's hair and Marr's, well the footage of Morrissey
on stage in San Diego shows a a man whose hair is turning grey, I can't imagine why
lots of men just go to a hairdressr to colour their hair black, grey hair is nothing to be ashmed of,
wether you play guitar or be a singeror people on webssites whose goal his to flame regulars

ano, I was always on Whyteside, after all I think he shouldv'e played the festivals,
and announce he would not be on stage in Morrissey's band [2004]

last thing is, I can empathise with marred, as Morrissey or musical in general can
give real emotions you can let yourself go or troll morrissey solo

I know yours, just words and scared to give your real name and go toa gi9g
to say things like you did to CG and/or Amie, I bet you wouldn't have the guts to
get near them...

bye ano, get on with your insults, I will in the future laugh at them, and won't
waste a comment on your trolling comments:sick:

Last edited:
Not bad seen better Smiths tribute bands, ie Viva Morrissey. The vocal was awful, and what is it with Marr being a guitar genius? He's done nothing since 1987, he does seem like a decent sort of chap though, he even gives pensioners little jobs to do....Bless

His new album is amazing and certainly no one has done what he's done with a guitar. To the poster who said he's done nothing since 1987, you're kidding, right?

Do a straw pole with the average bloke in the street, this is the answer you'll get; 79% will say Yes marr has done nothing widely recognised, apart from messing about with bernard sumner from new order since 1987. Its nearly a fact;deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom