Johnny Marr opens up about Smiths split, full interview on YouTube - Radio X

Pleased to see that Radio X released a full 1hr 25 recording of the In Conversation... with Johnny Marr:

They also posted the specific part where
Johnny talks about the split and subsequent help from other artists:

Worth a watch just for the Smiths tunes (and the story of how Hand In Glove came about).
Thanks to Radio X for the full event.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
I missed most of the other acts 'cause of the bloody bus journey. I've got an idea that James were on although that could have been at The Cure which I saw there too.
The Sugarcubes and Pixies opened for The Cure on the Prayer tour. Which if time travel ever becomes a thing, I'd probably follow for a week.

What a support. I think over here we had All About Eve.
I saw them at a festival once with Ben Harper- (Hippy shit) Save Ferris- (Ska???) and Everclear- (Bad grunge lite crap) At one point I almost forgot why I was there, the suffering was so great!

Every time he talks he opens up a different door about Smiths split. He already must have built a very big house with them, like a mansion of lies. Tell your truth or say nothing. People get tired of this nonsense.

Every time he talks he opens up a different door about Smiths split. He already must have built a very big house with them, like a mansion of lies. Tell your truth or say nothing. People get tired of this nonsense.
I believe the version that goes "I was a 23 year old guitarist. Managing a band, organizing tour nonsense, etc on top of my duties on stage and in studio was too much to take on, and the newspaper article was the last straw."

I believe the version that goes "I was a 23 year old guitarist. Managing a band, organizing tour nonsense, etc on top of my duties on stage and in studio was too much to take on, and the newspaper article was the last straw."

I don't know, I don't see there that you consider an important part of the story I've read in Morrissey's bio. Are you sure Marr didn't have any kind of personal problems by then? Denial of the problem is part of that problem, so maybe he still has that problem. I sincerely hope not, but...

Anyway, better being the master of your silence than the slave of your excuses. At certain age it's supposed people grow up. Morrissey did it an it suits him wonderfully.

I fear the worst now, he's gonna let slip that you're brazilian and not argentinian. As far as insults go that would be on par with Moz telling the truth about just about everything like he tends to do.

I don't know, I don't see there that you consider an important part of the story I've read in Morrissey's bio. Are you sure Marr didn't have any kind of personal problems by then? Denial of the problem is part of that problem, so maybe he still has that problem. I sincerely hope not, but...

Anyway, better being the master of your silence than the slave of your excuses. At certain age it's supposed people grow up. Morrissey did it an it suits him wonderfully.
He's the example you're going to use for "master of your silence?" Excuse me for thinking you probably picked the wrong example to use for that one, since he's seemingly trying to drown his career in the tub.

I think that's an acceptance that you were spouting bollocks.

No, Chezz Im just pointing out you are an amateur in this music thing if you think 'all songwriters'
are paid for their work LOL
Probably one of the most ridiculous statements ever uttered.:crazy:

Lets do a test see who is right, Chezz. Write a song, any song. Go on

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
I see the Fungi
but the Yeast sees you.

I gave you the first verse now finish it up and see if you get paid.:crazy:

Mutt and Herb Cohen bought Tom Waits early songs he never saw
a penny from them Chezz. Third Story Music which later became
Third Palm LOL. Luckily they both now sleep with :thumb:nemo.

He's the example you're going to use for "master of your silence?" Excuse me for thinking you probably picked the wrong example to use for that one, since he's seemingly trying to drown his career in the tub.

On the contrary, Morrissey is the example of not being the slave of your excuses, which is even better.

Marr has indeed said that Strangeways is his favourite, but he also lamented the fact that Morrissey's tastes were so conservative, because he would have wanted to go into a more electronic direction next. If I remember correctly, he thought that The Smiths had one more album in them, or perhaps two, but no more than that. Whereas Morrissey thought that The Smiths were for life.

1-2 more albums sounds about right. Honestly, the split seems inevitable given all that we've heard and read over the years. To me, the real tragedy is that it's been so acrimonious and permanent. I'm not even talking about a reunion, reforming, any of that. With all the touring that Morrissey's done over the years, not even once has Johnny joined him on stage (or vice versa) to play just one song together. I guess it's all or nothing for these two.

Last edited:
No, Chezz Im just pointing out you are an amateur in this music thing if you think 'all songwriters'
are paid for their work LOL
Probably one of the most ridiculous statements ever uttered.:crazy:

Lets do a test see who is right, Chezz. Write a song, any song. Go on

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
I see the Fungi
but the Yeast sees you.

I gave you the first verse now finish it up and see if you get paid.:crazy:

Mutt and Herb Cohen bought Tom Waits early songs he never saw
a penny from them Chezz. Third Story Music which later became
Third Palm LOL. Luckily they both now sleep with :thumb:nemo.

I've never seen so many goalposts moved in a few comments.

I've just remembered why I never bother reading your shit. Back to skipping past it...

LOL Chezz you said:

Let us know which musicians don't get payments for their songwriting duties. Start anywhere you like.

I have to confess tho, I knew all along you were an amateur who were pulling pony out of his ass:laughing:

Gotya, Chezz.:tiphat:

A song is music and words.

This is where and why we're disagreeing, and why you think I'm insinuating that Marr's creative contribution The Smiths was lesser than Morrissey's, by claiming he wasn't a songwriter (I don't think his creative input to the finished product was lesser, but I also don't think he was a songwriter).

A song, to my mind, isn't music and words. It's vocal melody/words. The music is not a definitive aspect of the song. As I said in an earlier post, a 100 different vocalist/lyricists could have worked on Marr's original backing track for 'How Soon is Now' and you'd have ended up with 100 different songs. No matter who worked on 'How Soon is Now' after Morrissey laid down his vocal/lyric, it would still have been the same song. If somebody was to do a cover version of 'How Soon is Now' they could completely change the backing music but they'd still have to reasonably approximate the words/vocal melody. It they just used the music, and did completely different words/vocal melody, it wouldn't be 'How Soon is Now' (e.g. 'Hippy Chick'). So, as I say, that's where we disagree. A song isn't music and words, it's vocal melody and words. And to get back to my original point, this is why Marr is proving not to be a great songwriter - because in fact he never was. That was never his talent/skill. He was/is a great guitarist/music composer, but he can't create songs because he doesn't have the key skills for vocal melody and lyrics.

1-2 more albums sounds about right. Honestly, the split seems inevitable given all that we've heard and read over the years. To me, the real tragedy is that it's been so acrimonious and permanent. I'm not even talking about a reunion, reforming, any of that. With all the touring that Morrissey's done over the years, not even once has Johnny joined him on stage (or vice versa) to play just one song together. I guess it's all or nothing for these two.

I’m kinda glad the smiths didn’t make an electronic album. As much as I love electronic, the band, it always seemed on the end of a trend. Morrisseys solo career for all its ups and downs fit right into the oncoming Brit pop scene and I think reaped a lot of benefits as a result

This is where and why we're disagreeing, and why you think I'm insinuating that Marr's creative contribution The Smiths was lesser than Morrissey's, by claiming he wasn't a songwriter (I don't think his creative input to the finished product was lesser, but I also don't think he was a songwriter).

A song, to my mind, isn't music and words. It's vocal melody/words. The music is not a definitive aspect of the song. As I said in an earlier post, a 100 different vocalist/lyricists could have worked on Marr's original backing track for 'How Soon is Now' and you'd have ended up with 100 different songs. No matter who worked on 'How Soon is Now' after Morrissey laid down his vocal/lyric, it would still have been the same song. If somebody was to do a cover version of 'How Soon is Now' they could completely change the backing music but they'd still have to reasonably approximate the words/vocal melody. It they just used the music, and did completely different words/vocal melody, it wouldn't be 'How Soon is Now' (e.g. 'Hippy Chick'). So, as I say, that's where we disagree. A song isn't music and words, it's vocal melody and words. And to get back to my original point, this is why Marr is proving not to be a great songwriter - because in fact he never was. That was never his talent/skill. He was/is a great guitarist/music composer, but he can't create songs because he doesn't have the key skills for vocal melody and lyrics.

And if Morrissey had worked with a hundred different musicians he'd have ended up with 100 different songs.

As I said the Vegan.Cro idiot, by this logic none of the following are songwriters - Barry Mann, Jay Livingston, Mike Stoller, Elton John, Keith Richards, Dozier and Holland or Burt Bacharach.

Either you're into acapella or you believe songs have music.

And if Morrissey had worked with a hundred different musicians he'd have ended up with 100 different songs.

As I said the Vegan.Cro idiot, by this logic none of the following are songwriters - Barry Mann, Jay Livingston, Mike Stoller, Elton John, Keith Richards, Dozier and Holland or Burt Bacharach.

It's 50/50. Obviously.

I hate acapella and barbershop drives me mad.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom