Johnny Marr opens up about Smiths split, full interview on YouTube - Radio X

Pleased to see that Radio X released a full 1hr 25 recording of the In Conversation... with Johnny Marr:

They also posted the specific part where
Johnny talks about the split and subsequent help from other artists:

Worth a watch just for the Smiths tunes (and the story of how Hand In Glove came about).
Thanks to Radio X for the full event.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
The Pixies are that other great band except nobody did all they could to try and f*** up their legacy.

Except for reforming but we'll forget about that...
It's all in the small print, isn't it? I saw their second ever show when they reunited, and while the songs sounded great, the onstage dynamic was painful to watch. I can attest from my personal life that Charles Thompson is a f***ing weirdo, having served him several times, and chatting with him after said reunion show. Funnily enough, I told him that I never expected to see them perform, and he should ring up Morrissey and Marr and tell them how it's done, to which he replied "I wish!" Also- he can eat a two pound basket of deep fried tater tots all by himself.

It's all in the small print, isn't it? I saw their second ever show when they reunited, and while the songs sounded great, the onstage dynamic was painful to watch. I can attest from my personal life that Charles Thompson is a f***ing weirdo, having served him several times, and chatting with him after said reunion show. Funnily enough, I told him that I never expected to see them perform, and he should ring up Morrissey and Marr and tell them how it's done, to which he replied "I wish!" Also- he can eat a two pound basket of deep fried tater tots all by himself.

Interesting, I just avoided it all in the re-run. Thankfully I saw them the first time around, it was a weird show, there was a big pond between the audience and band. I believe the story about the fried tater tots haha, he's never been slender.

This was my first post. I’m not the other anon but of course you wouldn’t know that. I should have indicated that so my fault. My point was that you’re not quite correct in saying that the music was finished. Morrissey added music not just words and that his musical input influenced Johnny’s additional work on the instrumental which means to me that even the musical instrumental piece of the music does have morrisseys fingerprints on it

Fair enough, sorry for the assumption. I think Morrissey had musical input but more on the arrangement, as in put this bit here instead of there. To me the extra work post vocals is still Johnny's, he might have been working around the vocal but it's still his work. It's that relentless attention to detail and not knowing when to stop coupled with his creative ability which made the music so great. Couple that with the words and vocal melodies and you have to my mind as good a band that ever existed.

Interesting, I just avoided it all in the re-run. Thankfully I saw them the first time around, it was a weird show, there was a big pond between the audience and band. I believe the story about the fried tater tots haha, he's never been slender.
A literal pond? That is weird. I've seen some weird setups in my time, but that's just impractical.

Fair enough, sorry for the assumption. I think Morrissey had musical input but more on the arrangement, as in put this bit here instead of there. To me the extra work post vocals is still Johnny's, he might have been working around the vocal but it's still his work. It's that relentless attention to detail and not knowing when to stop coupled with his creative ability which made the music so great. Couple that with the words and vocal melodies and you have to my mind as good a band that ever existed.

Yeah he probably did have some influence in arrangements but he still decides what notes to sing and that is writing music. An important bit of music as many people know that before other bits. For instance if I were to ask someone to hum a smiths songs nine time she out of ten the part eynhum is the music morrissey wrote. The exception to that are songs like charming man where almost no one would hum Morrisseys contribution but instead the fab guitar intro. Yeah they we're a unique band and I still love the albums I just get annoyed in general when people talk as if all vocalists do is write words on paper and aren't muscicians themselves when they often contribute the most important part at least in terms of pop music

Let us know which musicians don't get payments for their songwriting duties. Start anywhere you like.
:crazy:
Tons those that sold their publishing. Chezz you are edging towards Skinny Fungal territory.
Tons of other musicians dont get payment for their songwriting duties.
Besides just because you 'write a song':rolleyes: doesnt mean 100 quid fall on your head from the sky.:squiffy:

Yeah he probably did have some influence in arrangements but he still decides what notes to sing and that is writing music. An important bit of music as many people know that before other bits. For instance if I were to ask someone to hum a smiths songs nine time she out of ten the part eynhum is the music morrissey wrote. The exception to that are songs like charming man where almost no one would hum Morrisseys contribution but instead the fab guitar intro. Yeah they we're a unique band and I still love the albums I just get annoyed in general when people talk as if all vocalists do is write words on paper and aren't muscicians themselves when they often contribute the most important part at least in terms of pop music

Bobby Charles couldnt read music or play an instrument, would hum his songs into a tape recorder.
If there is one thing we have learned from the solo careers is that Moz is the author of the Smiths material.
I dont think :frogface: has written one single decent number since,with the exception of that annoying "money money money" song, brilliant in its annoyance.:bow:

:crazy:
Tons those that sold their publishing. Chezz you are edging towards Skinny Fungal territory.
Tons of other musicians dont get payment for their songwriting duties.
Besides just because you 'write a song':rolleyes: doesnt mean 100 quid fall on your head from the sky.:squiffy:

Name one.

I guess you're telling us that Barry Mann, Jay Livingston, Mike Stoller, Elton John, Keith Richards, Dozier and Holland, Burt Bacharach etc are also not songwriters.

Last edited:

Ah, that's not what I'm arguing. I couldn't write a vocal melody to save my life, not sure Johnny can either. I was just countering the argument that Johnny was anything less than an equal partner in The Smiths' creative quarter.

A literal pond? That is weird. I've seen some weird setups in my time, but that's just impractical.

Yeah an actual pond. Somebody swam across it but was fished out before he got to the stage. Can't imagine it wouldn't have been great to have a dripping wet fan with all that electricity.

It was an interesting day, we got the bus from Nottingham and on the last services on the motorway the driver pulled in and asked us if anyone knew the way to Crystal Palace. The upshot was we drove around London for the next two and a half hours. Thankfully we got there well in time for the Pixies.

Yeah an actual pond. Somebody swam across it but was fished out before he got to the stage. Can't imagine it wouldn't have been great to have a dripping wet fan with all that electricity.

It was an interesting day, we got the bus from Nottingham and on the last services on the motorway the driver pulled in and asked us if anyone knew the way to Crystal Palace. The upshot was we drove around London for the next two and a half hours. Thankfully we got there well in time for the Pixies.
That was live on MTV and I remember it well.

Name one.

I guess you're telling us that Barry Mann, Jay Livingston, Mike Stoller, Elton John, Keith Richards, Dozier and Holland, Burt Bacharach etc are also not songwriters.

Anyone can be a songwriter Chezz.:crazy:
99 percent of songwriters dont make a penny. All unsigned bands dont get paid for their songwriting>LOL
who exactly would pay them:crazy:

I didn't know that. I'm going to scour the web to see if you can still see it.
I did not found it yet but I think they showed snippets of it but no one who saw that venue will ever forget it cause of the bloody pond.
I reckon COD played at the same mini festival.

I did not found it yet but I think they showed snippets of it but no one who saw that venue will ever forget it cause of the bloody pond.
I reckon COD played at the same mini festival.

I missed most of the other acts 'cause of the bloody bus journey. I've got an idea that James were on although that could have been at The Cure which I saw there too.

I missed most of the other acts 'cause of the bloody bus journey. I've got an idea that James were on although that could have been at The Cure which I saw there too.
Paul King was salivating all over the screen going on about it. They showed the pond swimmer and all.

At this rate Johnny will be given the part of a witch at a venue much too close to you for comfort.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom