Johnny Marr on The Smiths' legacy and Morrissey: "You can't change history..." - NME

Johnny Marr on The Smiths’ legacy and Morrissey: “You can’t change history. The songs are out there for people to judge” - NME

Excerpt:

Speaking of context, Morrissey has seen his music banned from record stores and posters removed from train stations due to his recent support of For Britain. Are you worried about a generation of people missing out on the music of The Smiths as a result?
“No. I don’t think you can change history. I’ve said that before. I’m not worried. It’s got nothing to do with my world or my life. The songs are out there for people to judge, relate to and hear. I think that’s all going to be forgotten in a few weeks, as these things inevitably are – for better or worse. It’s always been that way. I understand the issue, but I’m used to stuff coming and going. I don’t worry about people missing out on the culture. That would be like saying to a teenage me ‘Are you worried about you and your mates missing out on The Velvet Underground?’ That was never going to happen. I know the way things go. Things come and go.”

While we’re on the subject of Morrissey, did you see the biopic England Is Mine and how you were portrayed?

“I honestly didn’t, and I feel bad because the guy who played me is a really nice guy and was really sincere about it. I just kept forgetting to watch that bit! I didn’t hear great things about the film, though. It just came and went for me. Luckily, I have so many things I want to think about that they distract me from all kinds of stuff.”

Last edited by a moderator:
WtF????? o_O
which puppet would ask Mr Cometry about Moz legacy LOL:lbf:

what legacy? MOZ LEGACY FFS:lbf:
Moz wrote the Smiths songs thats why he hasnt written a single decent lyric or melody since
Moz gave him the boot.:thumb:

the sucky european me/comet loony songs are his legacy:lbf:
“Moz gave him the boot”? Erm...

Top bloke.

“f*** Theresa May. f*** her! Good riddance. I thought Cameron had some front. She’s just a vile, vile human being. Where’s the humanity?”
Government health warning=This site may contain nuts.

Marr always comes across as so dignified and likeable when discussing these things. He's so curious about the world, and I love his optimism and positivity.

(I also suspect that he knows, deep down, just how freakishly lucky he was at the start of his career to end up in a songwriting partnership with one of rock's greatest ever lyricists / singers / characters / oddballs while he was at the peak of his lyrical powers.)

Marr always comes across as so dignified and likeable when discussing these things. He's so curious about the world, and I love his optimism and positivity.

(I also suspect that he knows, deep down, just how freakishly lucky he was at the start of his career to end up in a songwriting partnership with one of rock's greatest ever lyricists / singers / characters / oddballs while he was at the peak of his lyrical powers.)

I think that works both ways. Morrissey was lucky to find a guitarist/songwriter of startling originality and creativity, who appreciated and understood him in a way no one had before.

"I don’t think you can change history."
No, but you have certainly ruined it with your singing Johnny. Please just sing your garbage songs and leave the Smiths songs alone.

I think that works both ways. Morrissey was lucky to find a guitarist/songwriter of startling originality and creativity, who appreciated and understood him in a way no one had before.

Oh, totally agree that it works both ways, yes. And couldn't agree more that part of Marr's brilliance was in being able to understand and work with someone so odd!

Although I'll always believe that around half* of the Smiths' songs are pretty standard pieces of musical composition/backing, elevated to genius by Morrissey's words and vocal melodies.

*(Whereas the other half are genius on Marr's part, too.)

Chatting the usual bollocks to appeal to the youth. When will he realise that outside of The Smiths and maye Pet Shop Boys/Electronic he has failed to make anything comparable to Viva Hate, Bona Drag, Vauxhall, Southpaw, Maladjusted, Quarry, California son.

Pander to the same group of youths who call Morrissey a racist (Which believe me he is not) and get offended on someone else's behalf
The The.

Great interview but I am going to be cynical and suspect that he did watch England Is Mine. It reminds me of Moz saying he "squinted across the room" at The Severed Alliance", when we all know he read the bloody thing.
The saddest thing about Moz's portrayal in the media in recent years (most of it self induced) is that it will inform and dominate latter chapters of future editions of books like The Severed Alliance. Like a nasty dessert after a fantastic meal.

Didn’t Moz recently mention there was another book from Rogan forthcoming?
Sonehow looking forward to that actually.

Agreed, love his positivity! Really interested in the movie news. In light of the success of the Queen, Motley Crue and Elton John movies - I'll bet Hollywood is looking for good stories. Johnny's teenage years are particularly adventurous! Unlike "England Is Mine", a movie made with actual input from Johnny would be very interesting.
Let them keep their films and release a good quality dvd/blu ray/4k of a couple of Smiths concerts instead.
The Cure just released a free complete recent concert on their website.

That makes sense.

Vegan has no interest in Morrissey or Marr, he just posts shit to try and provoke a reaction. Most people have the bell end on ignore so never see his nonsense. It’s bizarre that someone would want to spend hours just spouting lies but hey, it’s his life to waste.

Funny isn’t it, that everyone is always worried about Morrissey’s effect on The Smiths legacy, apart from the actual Smiths.
Marr, Rourke and Joyce have all politely suggested that they don’t share his views or opinions, but not once have stuck the knife in to him, which i think many critics expect and hope for.

lol at Mozstans deciding they now don't like Johnny Marr when their idol would still be wandering up and down Talbot Road now if it weren't for the boy from Ardwick and his songs.

:lbf:

Moz giving old :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: the big boot, hit a nerve, didnt it??:brows:

out the door, Mr Cometry and dont let the door hit you on your ample bottom.:laughing:

go play with the the or hooky.make a spectable out of yourself with dumb cometry songs.:lbf:

no more sucky:guitar: riffs :rock:

NO MORE SUCKY DramaJ 'chords':lbf:

Hang on. People hate Johnny Marr? Didn’t think that was possible.

he makes SUCKO music about comets and tracers.:crazy:
Ever since Moz vamoosed him from the big time, he hasnt been UNable to make
ONE SINGLE HALF DECENT MELODY LYRIC OR SONG:brows:

he touring some tiny club not sold out in copenhagen wearing his new blue flowery shirt.:lbf:

poor cad, thats what they should call his never to happen movie. 'poor cad':lbf:

:lbf:

Moz giving old :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: the big boot, hit a nerve, didnt it??:brows:

out the door, Mr Cometry and dont let the door hit you on your ample bottom.:laughing:

go play with the the or hooky.make a spectable out of yourself with dumb cometry songs.:lbf:

no more sucky:guitar: riffs :rock:

NO MORE SUCKY DramaJ 'chords':lbf:
Johnny Marr left The Smiths. I know this because I’m a Smiths fan.

Johnny Marr left The Smiths. I know this because I’m a Smiths fan.

:rolleyes:

o_O

:crazy:

right, he left his 'legacy':lbf:
to go play with the cribs.:lbf::lbf:

he couldnt play the music right so away we go, :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft::kissingheart:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom