Johnny Marr on "The Joy of the Guitar Riff" (BBC 4) clip

Re: BBC 4 The Joy of the Guitar Riff (Johnny Marr appearance)

Did you watch it?
This Charming Man is featured as one of the influential guitar riffs.

UPDATE Aug 8:

Clip on YouTube (uploaded by The Modern Day):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VozP2JzueI

Description:

Johnny plays his riff from The Smiths 'This Charming Man' on The Joys Of The Guitar Riff on BBC Four, aired 18 July 2014. Interview with Johnny was done in 2007 when he was in Modest Mouse. Ryan Jarman from The Cribs provides recent commentary. More footage can be seen in the BBC Two 5 part series 'I'm In A Rock 'n Roll Band'.

The trailer has been shown on BBC channels, but it hasn't been reported here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b049mtxw

Johnny might play some Smiths tunes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful. A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

I love Johnny. Late pass but I just downloaded "The Messenger" today, curious to listen.

The joy of Johnny Marr is infectious. I really really really would love to see them reunite, at least the two of them, for a couple of new tracks at least, pretty please?!?!

I can't find that clip of him doing Please Please Please on the Fallon show. It was awesome.

P.

I love his riffs in Nowhere Fast so much!! ..as with so many more.

Incidentally, I really appreciated his work with Bernard Sumner in Electronic. Outside of the first album, they didn't receive much critical praise. While I've never appreciated anything of his as much as his work with The Smiths, Marr's genius knows no bounds of genre.

I wish him and Bernard would team up again, especially since New Order isn't amounting to much these days (that last EP - ouch!). But Marr said in 2003 that the band [Electronic] had reached "its natural conclusion" and was happy with the way it ended on a positive note.

I actually don't want a reunion, I'm fine with them both making music on their own terms.

I actually don't want a reunion, I'm fine with them both making music on their own terms.

Oh don't get me wrong - they're doing great on their own! But I like to fantasize that Johnny has a folder labeled "MOZ" where he stores scraps of paper with material that he's been reserving for his long lost friend. Just imagine that first day, Morrissey walks into the room with Marr strumming away at his guitar . . . their eyes meet and our hearts melt. Is it really so strange? Is it?!?!?!?!:tears:

But I like to fantasize that Johnny has a folder labeled "MOZ" where he stores scraps of paper with material that he's been reserving for his long lost friend.

That would at least explain why the music he's put out since 1988 has been so sub-par.

Oh don't get me wrong - they're doing great on their own! But I like to fantasize that Johnny has a folder labeled "MOZ" where he stores scraps of paper with material that he's been reserving for his long lost friend. Just imagine that first day, Morrissey walks into the room with Marr strumming away at his guitar . . . their eyes meet and our hearts melt. Is it really so strange? Is it?!?!?!?!:tears:

I'd be much more interested in some sort of Morrissey + Marr side project than I would a Smiths reunion, actually. (Not that I think either will ever happen. I don't.)

I got a chuckle :)

Eurydice, if you're reading this somehow, if Johnny tours and it's feasible we should go if somehow we can get someone to watch at least one of the kids. LOL

That would at least explain why the music he's put out since 1988 has been so sub-par.

We jest, but seriously, you gotta wonder. Given the consistently great output of The Smiths (and the apparent ease with which he wrote those songs), what else can explain the drop in quality? The "MOZ" folder, that's what.:guitar:

I'd be much more interested in some sort of Morrissey + Marr side project than I would a Smiths reunion, actually.

Definitely. And they should be called Morrissey & Marr (modeled on Simon & Garfunkel). Seriously though, I'm pretty sanguine about the prospects of a side project. Nothing too big, maybe an album. I'm not well versed in the details of their interpersonal drama (I know the basics), but I don't see anything that would preclude the very real possibility of a near future (within 10 years) collaboration.

P.S. Are M&Ms vegan? I see the possibility of a tour sponsor.:straightface:

Are you serious? No. Grumpy Cat "No" Meme, no.

I'm saving up money to take Jude to see Morrissey the next time he's nearby. Jude has a knack for getting backstage. The kid's a lucky, shy bastard.

I'm not spending money on anything else. Sorry, bro.

Are you serious? No. Grumpy Cat "No" Meme, no.

I'm saving up money to take Jude to see Morrissey the next time he's nearby. Jude has a knack for getting backstage. The kid's a lucky, shy bastard.

I'm not spending money on anything else. Sorry, bro.

Fair enough. Plus Johnny will probably be in a club w/ no seats, etc.

My god the cribs are shit.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom