Johnny Marr on releasing an autobiography: 'It's going to happen' - NME.com

I was wondering about that. Because I remember a year or so ago there was some word from Johnny that he was thinking about a book.

I don't know, I personally feel like really only the Smiths bit of it will be interesting..

Does reading Morrissey's autobiography make you want to read Johnny's autobiography any more or less?

I was wondering about that. Because I remember a year or so ago there was some word from Johnny that he was thinking about a book.

I don't know, I personally feel like really only the Smiths bit of it will be interesting..

Does reading Morrissey's autobiography make you want to read Johnny's autobiography any more or less?

Sorry, but Johnny Marr is boring. He's going to have to write a lot about Morrissey if he wants anyone to read his book.

I'm sure it will be co-written with a professional author. So it won't be quite in his own voice the way Autobiography masterfully was in Moz's.

I would hope Johnny's book makes up for it by being very detail oriented. Like you said, focusing on the Smiths. Though I wouldn't mind learning more about his time with The Pretenders as well. And about his relationship with Angie. I'm always fascinated to read/learn about how long-term relationships mange to survive and be so successful.

Last edited:

I agree ; Marr ( and it sounds horribly dismissive) comes across as not much more than a working musician. There's no hint of enigma about him that might impel me to dive further in.

Johnny Marr on releasing an autobiography: 'It's going to happen' - NME.com
Guitarist to follow former Smiths' bandmate Morrissey by releasing his own memoirs

Johnny Marr has revealed that he is planning on releasing an autobiography in the "next couple of years".

The guitarist's former Smiths' bandmate Morrissey published his autobiography earlier this year and the book has subsequently gone onto be a huge success. The Penguin published memoir sold just under 35,000 copies in its first week of sale and has been tipped to become a Christmas bestseller according to high-street retailer Waterstones.

In an interview with Brooklyn Vegan, Marr was asked if he had any plans to release his own autobiography and the guitarist responded: "There is gonna be one, yeah. I've had so many offers and so many people advising me that my story is worth it, but I understand it's something that I have to do."

He went onto add: "I'll do it in the next couple of years. I'm into from the stance that I want it to be so thorough that I don't make a record or tour whilst I was doing it. It is gonna happen, and I've already made an agreement with a publisher for it, so I will get it done."

Last month, it was revealed that Marr is working with Pharrell Williams and Hans Zimmer on the score to The Amazing Spider Man 2. A tweet from Marc Webb, director of the eagerly anticipated comic book sequel, showed a picture of Marr with Williams and Zimmer as well as Incubus guitarist Mike Einziger. The tweet, which you can see below, confirmed that the four musicians are working on music for the film, which will be released in 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have obtained some leaked samples of the Johnny Marr autobiography. The part where he auditions for Danzig and almost gets it is really heartbreaking.

Well, Morrissey published a letter from Johnny in his book, so hopefully Johnny returns the favour. :thumb:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom