Johnny Marr on 'Meat is Murder' for World Vegetarian Day

From Johnny Marr / Facebook:

39179_marr_world_vegetarian_day.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have-You-Hugged-A-Vegetarian-Today-Its-World-Vegetarian-Day.png
no, no idea WVD was yesterday! Besides, don't really know any around here.
Oooh!!! Just look at that cute Johnny jumper!!
Perso_Jolly.png

:love: !

hmmmn....given he's Vegan & Morrissey is a cheese-eating surrender merchant, this is a rather obvious attempt to continue the Carry On Radicalism of The Smiths. It was no such thing. It was a cop-out. They were surrounded by vegans in James, knew all the issues but went the Veggie cop-out route so as not to appear 'too radical'...perhaps Johnny IS still holding out on the possibility of a kerching-athon Smiths reunion if his solo adventures goes tits up...again!

What's really admirable about Johnny's attitude towards veganism and vegetarianism is that he's not preachy about it: as demonstrated by this post, he's not at all judgmental towards people who still eat meat, despite obviously standing by his own values as well. In the long run, I think that sort of attitude benefits the cause far more than forceful approaches that attempt to make meat-eaters feel ashamed or guilty, because the latter tends to just make people defensive instead, and therefore unlikely to change. Johnny's sensible enough to realise that, and also humble enough to acknowledge that it's not his (or anybody else's) right to try to force their own choices on others. And I say this as a vegan myself.

Personally, I think veganism is about respect. Respect for animals and the environment, yes, but logically that same respect should extend to our fellow human beings as well - including non-vegetarians and their right to make their own dietary decisions. I applaud Johnny for showing that respect to all of his fans.

I've got a feeling that, whilst being a vegan in terms of diet, Johnny is less rigid when it comes to footwear (something Morrissey also said he struggled with for years). Morrissey comes in for harder criticism for any 'cheesy/leathery' mistakes he makes, because he is so violently judgemental on any statements on the issue he makes.

A follow up statement by Johnny on facebook:"'Earlier today we posted a message on this page to acknowledge World Vegetarian Day. There was no criticism of anyone else's choice to eat meat, as I believe it's everyone's right to live and let live. Unfortunately there are some people out there who don't afford others the same courtesy and who think it's acceptable to hurl abuse around on social media. I'd like to ask anyone of that mind to stop visiting this page and leave the rest of us to get on with getting on, regardless of differences in our lifestyle choices. Intolerance and abuse is not welcome."

He also 'liked' someone's post of "You and Morrissey must have balanced each other so well. This is wonderful to hear as I know Morrissey isn't as tolerant as you are and as much as I love him, I wish he was a bit more understanding."

The difference in approach between the pair is interesting, as there is probably nothing between them in terms of actual politics on this. Personally, I am all for Morrissey's direct statements and shock tactics - but these can also immediately put meat eaters on the defensive, so that instead of even listening to the argument, all they want to do is eat more bacon just to spite you. The gits.

It's true, he would look better with a pair of espadrilles matching that jumper.
In the same way, when he campaigned against disabled transport cuts, it must have been primarily because his niece was impacted.

Hey nobody said he was Mother Teresa; it just seems he does his bit when he can, like a decent citizen, without grandiosity or retarded shock tactics.

I've got a feeling that, whilst being a vegan in terms of diet, Johnny is less rigid when it comes to footwear (something Morrissey also said he struggled with for years). Morrissey comes in for harder criticism for any 'cheesy/leathery' mistakes he makes, because he is so violently judgemental on any statements on the issue he makes.

Johnny is on record is saying that he became vegan primarily as a health thing and not as an animal welfare thing, so he's presumably unapologetic about his leather shoes. Wish I knew where to look for the interview.

Johnny is on record is saying that he became vegan primarily as a health thing and not as an animal welfare thing, so he's presumably unapologetic about his leather shoes. Wish I knew where to look for the interview.

Yeah - I think it's another interesting example of Morrissey and Marr's ying and yang. Morrissey always goes on about the negativity of the 'animal holocaust industry', whilst when I've heard Johnny speak on the subject he's usually emphasising the positive aspects of not eating animals, how it has made him feel healthier, etc.

That picture looks to be from the MM era. I've never seen Johnny say he's primarily a health vegan. He just makes noncontroversial positive statements about going from vegetarian to vegan. But I remember reading an interview in one of the Dynamic zines that a few shoe and clothing manufacturers send johnny free shoes, jackets, etc. in hopes he wears them on stage. Understandable, I suppose, that he'd want to maintain such "sponsorships." Though, really, he could be angling for free Keds or Chucks, some company whose standard product is leather-free.

Those leather moccasins are the only blatantly leather shoes he's worn in heavy rotation in recent years. I guess he thinks of them as a signature look. But he managed to quit leather jackets in the 80s, so that's not much excuse. I think in that interview he mentioned admiring a mohair coat, but I've never seen a photo from the last decade or so of johnny wearing an animal-derived coat, guitar strap, etc. (Why yes, I take an interest in Johnny's fashion choices.:cool:) If anyone is interested I could probably dig up the link to the interview.

In any case, looking forward to the real drama on Nov. 1, world vegan day.

I'd be please to know where in the UK I can buy some nice looking mens vegetarian casual shoes. I don't really want trainers and I don't want office shoes. Is Johnnny wearing veggie shoes in this photo do you think? Something like those would be grand. Anyone know where Morrissey gets his shoes?

Try Wills-vegan-shoes.com or Vegetarianshoes.co.uk... both do mail order, both offer a wide range, and are great quality!

Can you be vegan and still wear use animals products. I always thought of vaganism being an animal product free lifestyle while being vegetarian as just diet focused. Does veganism just refer to dietary issues

hmmmn....given he's Vegan & Morrissey is a cheese-eating surrender merchant, this is a rather obvious attempt to continue the Carry On Radicalism of The Smiths. It was no such thing. It was a cop-out. They were surrounded by vegans in James, knew all the issues but went the Veggie cop-out route so as not to appear 'too radical'...perhaps Johnny IS still holding out on the possibility of a kerching-athon Smiths reunion if his solo adventures goes tits up...again!

Do you talk shite for a living or is it just a hobby?
- Sami P

Can you be vegan and still wear use animals products. I always thought of vaganism being an animal product free lifestyle while being vegetarian as just diet focused. Does veganism just refer to dietary issues

The official definition is "A philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose", so strictly speaking no - if you wear any animal products you are not vegan. I'm sure there are thousands of people out there who consider themselves 'vegan' in terms of what they eat, but still wear woollen jumpers etc.

What's really admirable about Johnny's attitude towards veganism and vegetarianism is that he's not preachy about it: as demonstrated by this post, he's not at all judgmental towards people who still eat meat, despite obviously standing by his own values as well. In the long run, I think that sort of attitude benefits the cause far more than forceful approaches that attempt to make meat-eaters feel ashamed or guilty, because the latter tends to just make people defensive instead, and therefore unlikely to change. Johnny's sensible enough to realise that, and also humble enough to acknowledge that it's not his (or anybody else's) right to try to force their own choices on others. And I say this as a vegan myself.

Personally, I think veganism is about respect. Respect for animals and the environment, yes, but logically that same respect should extend to our fellow human beings as well - including non-vegetarians and their right to make their own dietary decisions. I applaud Johnny for showing that respect to all of his fans.

well said, anon :thumb:

Edit vaganism out and change it into veganism before you get funny remarks about Freudian slips. ;)
I believe it's just a typo. Oh, sorry you can't cause you post anonymously. :straightface:

There is an advantage of being a member and edit your posts if you made a typo, or a Freudian slip of the finger typing. :thumb:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom