Johnny Marr on his autobiography, admits he hasn't read Morrissey's - MOJO

Johnny Marr On His Memoir: “I’ve Got An Amazing Memory!” - MOJO
The former Smith updates MOJO about progress on his autobiography. Top Of The Pops, drugs and falling off roofs all figure.

Excerpt:

The former Smith speaks about his new live album Adrenalin Baby and the book, due out next summer, in our new issue, (December 15 / #265) which is on sale now in the UK.

...Of course Marr’s is not the first memoir concerning The Smiths, though it seems unlikely there will be too many similarities between the guitarist’s literary endeavours and those published by the band’s singer.

“I honestly haven’t read Morrissey’s book,” Marr admits. “I really don’t feel like I need to. I’ve heard about what it’s like and that’s fine.”

Also:

Johnny Marr vows to keep memoir fun - new! magazine

Excerpt:

Morrissey's tome received huge critical praise for its candid narrative, but some critics took aim at the singer for using the book to launch scathing attacks on his old enemies in the music industry and even his former bandmates.

Marr is a quarter of the way through penning his life story and he is making a determined effort to avoid criticising those he has worked with, insisting he will not be giving fans any "crass sensationalism".

He tells Mojo magazine, "I honestly haven't read Morrissey's book. I really don't feel like I need to. I've heard about what it's like and that's fine. Not all of what I've been though, like anyone's life, can be dressed up to be something cheery when it wasn't. That's all right too.

"I'd like to say there's a lot of reappraisal, 'cos that would imply a certain kind of wisdom, but in the case of what happened with The Smiths, there's not really that much reappraisal. But crass sensationalism isn't really my thing, nor am I particularly interested in being nasty."

Last edited:
Johnny Marr is a complete asshole with a taste for the little ones. This will be revealed in the book. Everyone has always been poor Johnny, but Johnny was convinced he was the greatest thing ever, spurred on by his c*** wife Angie, who is the real cause of the Smiths breakup. As it turns out, Johnny is not the greatest thing ever and in fact needs Morrissey to achieve any significant success and he "f***in" knows it.

"I would lose both of my legs, if it meant you could be free." BUT

YOU

CAN'T!
What are you? A fiften year old psycho. Ease up on moz-mania. Because ill tell you a secret: Morrissey doesnt give to shits if you live or die

lmao wow smh!!! plz explain why Angie is the real cause of the Smiths breakup? honestly, i'm curious

Well, Because Angie was not only Johnny's lover but also his guitar tech. And she was sick and tired of having to tune all of Johnny's guitars down to a register that M was more comfortable singing in. It's an old story.

Hope not. Do really want to hear a bit of the studio tech talk,And how this song or the sound of a piece and it's creation came about,what influenced what song, etc. More about the bond between them, the records they shared,
vibe of the two during the process of writing, etc. We'll see...

We can only dream, Ketamine Sun. It would be great to have to have a proper insight into how the dynamics between Marr and Morrissey worked but Johnny's more likely to go on about Bernard Sumner than M. At least it won't be just Smiths chart positions and blaming Rough Trade.

Everyone talks about the Smiths and Morrissey. What else do you want Johnny to talk about? THAT is the question ... met with silence. And how many pages will the book have? When did Johnny begin writing?

Johnny Marr is a complete asshole with a taste for the little ones. ]

I didn't know Johnny had a predilection for midgets. What's your evidence? While you're at it could you tell us how the moon landings were fake? Or are you just a complete asshole c*** lying f***tard?

its commendable to not want to be nasty in your recollection though im afaif were gonna get the rock and roll myth rather than facts as hes on record stating hed rather print the myth

Everyone talks about the Smiths and Morrissey. What else do you want Johnny to talk about? THAT is the question ... met with silence. And how many pages will the book have? When did Johnny begin writing?

I'd rather read about some of the people he did session work with, mostly, after The Smiths. What's Chris Lowe really like? lol He worked wit Bernard Sumner, David Byrne, Chrissie Hynde, Pet Shop Boys, people that I've been as much a fan of as I was of The Smiths at one time or another.

We can only dream, Ketamine Sun. It would be great to have to have a proper insight into how the dynamics between Marr and Morrissey worked but Johnny's more likely to go on about Bernard Sumner than M. At least it won't be just Smiths chart positions and blaming Rough Trade.

Just some warm memories from one of them would be nice. As far as the criticism M gets for Autobio. Well I agree more or less. To me if the whole was just about his teenager years and the things that make/made him happy when he's alone...books,music,film's that have inspired him, that would be enough for me. As to the rest of the book...He has his reasons..
And who is ANYONE to stop or criticize him for saying/doing what he has done/and does. It's not for anyone to do. And a bit crazy/illogical to do so. But yes yes yes...Let's hope Johnny writes something about the music,etc from his perspective, because who else will/can ?

its commendable to not want to be nasty in your recollection though im afaif were gonna get the rock and roll myth rather than facts as hes on record stating hed rather print the myth

I don't mind the 'myth' ...as long as it's a good read.

'Everyone talks about ....' And everyone SHOULD be ! :lbf: And who wants Johnny to talk about anything but the Smiths? There's not much of interest... except THE THE but a couple of pages should cover that. We'll see....

Yeah, sure. There was a time when he was nothing else but nasty. At least some people have the guts to admit that they can be nasty sometimes. Someone seems to think that "being nice" in the last couple of years makes the previous nastiness minor. Well ...

On the occasions where Johnny has been spiteful about Morrissey (which are few and far between, thankfully) – I always get the feeling that he’s trying to impress his Madchester friends. When he really ‘went to town’ on Moz in interviews through the early 90s, Bernard Sumner was usually sitting around in the background, nodding along. People who try to please everybody aren’t usually very loyal. "A virtuoso of to-in and fro-ing", as Moz put it.

I'd rather read about some of the people he did session work with, mostly, after The Smiths. What's Chris Lowe really like? lol He worked wit Bernard Sumner, David Byrne, Chrissie Hynde, Pet Shop Boys, people that I've been as much a fan of as I was of The Smiths at one time or another.

I remember when Bryan Ferry came out with Bete Noire. I had that CD in steady rotation, and the song The Right Stuff was probably my favorite of them all. Come to find out later that Marr co-wrote the song with Bryan (or at least credited that way). It surprised me, but at the same time it made perfect sense given his strength at writing good pop tunes.

I remember when Bryan Ferry came out with Bete Noire. I had that CD in steady rotation, and the song The Right Stuff was probably my favorite of them all. Come to find out later that Marr co-wrote the song with Bryan (or at least credited that way). It surprised me...

Were you really unaware that 'The Right Stuff' is instrumentally exactly the same song as The Smiths' 'Money Changes Everything', only Ferry added vocals to it?

IMHO, there wasn't a section in Autobiography on the Smiths, which was truly disappointing. It will be great to hear Marr's and Craig Gannon's (his biography is nearly done as well, though it will obviously only cover the portion he witnessed, but quite honestly I am sure) recollections.

On the occasions where Johnny has been spiteful about Morrissey (which are few and far between, thankfully) – I always get the feeling that he’s trying to impress his Madchester friends. When he really ‘went to town’ on Moz in interviews through the early 90s, Bernard Sumner was usually sitting around in the background, nodding along. People who try to please everybody aren’t usually very loyal. "A virtuoso of to-in and fro-ing", as Moz put it.

Which only goes to emphasise Marr's position. Morrissey was, and always will be The Smiths.

now hold on there!...take it easy, KILL UNCLE is an album with brilliant songs on it, YES. But (my opinion here)
the production is a bit underwhelming. A bit too soft/warm/a bit too 'toy time' (if that makes sense) at times.

Now... JUST IMAGINE IF M.RONSON mixed&produced 'Kill Uncle' !?

Oh let me dream............ :)

Yes. But Mark Nevin and Langer/Winstanley did fine job with our frank, asian rut, sing your life, mute witness, king leer, driving your girlfriend home, ...end of the family line, ...place in hell..., tony the pony

Last edited:

So, Johnny has no time to read Morrissey's autobiography because he has so many books to finish. Johnny the avid reader. (Sarcasm)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. But Mark Nevin and Langer/Winstanley did fine job with our frank, asian rut, sing your life, mute witness, king leer, driving your girlfriend home, ...end of the family line, ...place in hell..., tony the pony

yes. But, just imagine if...........

Ha,You do know we could go back and forth like this forever. We both win, It is a fine record.:)

p.s... but MICK RONSON ! ;)

Were you really unaware that 'The Right Stuff' is instrumentally exactly the same song as The Smiths' 'Money Changes Everything', only Ferry added vocals to it?

Talk about Johnny getting 'nasty'...doing that was an obvious snub to M.:straightface:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom