Johnny Marr on close relationships in The Smiths, Paul McCartney advice after split (BBC Music, MEN)

Johnny Marr chats to Simon Mayo about his autobiography 'Set The Boy Free':

'I was a good judge of character' Johnny Marr on the close relationships during the early days of The Smiths - BBC Music
Johnny Marr chats to Simon Mayo about his autobiography 'Set The Boy Free'.

Johnny Marr reveals Paul McCartney helped him after The Smiths split with one pearl of wisdom:

Johnny Marr reveals Paul McCartney helped him after The Smiths split with one pearl of wisdom - Manchester Evening News
He talked to the ex-Beatles star for a little advice after the 'emotional' split

Excerpt:

“Then we took a break and he was asking what was going on with me. “Linda very genuinely asked me how I was getting on with the post-Smiths break-up.

“I was honest with her. It was very emotionally quite raw, you know, and I said to her ‘wherever I go, people won’t stop asking me’.

“I took a moment and I thought ‘okay, I’m sat in the presence of the one person who could really, really give me some insight into this situation, you know.

“The man who’s been defined by a song writing partnership - if anyone can give me some advice, it’s him.

“So, I told him what had been going on and he took a minute and he looked at me and he paused and said ‘that’s bands for you’.

“And, actually, I haven’t really thought of a better way of putting it. He knows a thing or two about bands.”

Last edited by a moderator:
And poor Boz who is actually part of "Morrissey,solo" gets stuck in other music. lol.

Aw even more attention from my buddy. That's super astute of you to notice that and thanks for letting me know about it. Can't wait for your next enlightenment to come my way which will be soon I know. It's been extremely fruitful and worthwhile this conversation

You should buy a Dummy's Guide to Wit.

No, no, please don't say that! :eek:
Witty no, funny yes.
What if he does buy it, and starts reading? :sick:
But I count on him he wouldn't.
He's kind of lazy, but has a lot of fantasy.:)

That's a bit of a stretch because The Smiths are barely mentioned, and it's more about Johnny, all the other Marr threads made sense, this one doesn't.
A lot of us are interested in Johnny Marr and I prefer not having to go off to his website to hear about this stuff. Sometimes people reply to threads and don't mention Morrissey at all (oops I just mentioned him), but that's life. Many people on this site seem to have similar interests, at least up to a point. So I see no harm in threads that may not be specifically about Moz but certainly pertain to the musical world he lives in. Besides, many of the posts about Johnny directly reference Moz, whether it be in recent Marr interviews or excerpts from his upcoming book.

On an unrelated note: I see Lol Tolhurst has a book out about his time with The Cure. It seems slight but I will be reading it at some stage. I think it's time Robert Smith did a definitive autobiography. I know Moz has stated his dislike for Smith but I'd bet a lot of Moz fans also like The Cure.

Why not make a thread to all Johnny's book related arcticles and stuff? There will probably be much more of it and making a new topic for each is absurd. I, for example, wanted to share the interview in this week's NME but I don't even know if someone posted it somewhere because it's so unorganized.

On an unrelated note: I see Lol Tolhurst has a book out about his time with The Cure. It seems slight but I will be reading it at some stage. I think it's time Robert Smith did a definitive autobiography. I know Moz has stated his dislike for Smith but I'd bet a lot of Moz fans also like The Cure.
I've never understood the need to take a side. In fact, the only time I ever have was literal. I was seeing The Cure at the Pantages theater while Morrissey was playing directly across the street on the same night. Drove to Vegas and caught Morrissey 48 hours later. Enjoyed both shows immensely.

Very witty! Of course that was Mc reacting to terrible news without having a chance to frame a premeditated answer, but it's gone down in history.

Very witty! Of course that was Mc reacting to terrible news without having a chance to frame a premeditated answer, but it's gone down in history.

Have you seen the footage of it? It ought to be forgiven as a terrible error of judgement, but it doesn't look unpremeditated.

I want to give Macca the benefit of the doubt (he couldn't be that cold a person), but his tone and attitude toward the media were definitely premeditated.
Those who believe the "Paul died and was replaced" theory say that the real Paul never would've reacted so nonchalantly to the news of his childhood friend's murder.

Have you seen the footage of it? It ought to be forgiven as a terrible error of judgement, but it doesn't look unpremeditated.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom