Johnny Marr on close relationships in The Smiths, Paul McCartney advice after split (BBC Music, MEN)

Johnny Marr chats to Simon Mayo about his autobiography 'Set The Boy Free':

'I was a good judge of character' Johnny Marr on the close relationships during the early days of The Smiths - BBC Music
Johnny Marr chats to Simon Mayo about his autobiography 'Set The Boy Free'.

Johnny Marr reveals Paul McCartney helped him after The Smiths split with one pearl of wisdom:

Johnny Marr reveals Paul McCartney helped him after The Smiths split with one pearl of wisdom - Manchester Evening News
He talked to the ex-Beatles star for a little advice after the 'emotional' split

Excerpt:

“Then we took a break and he was asking what was going on with me. “Linda very genuinely asked me how I was getting on with the post-Smiths break-up.

“I was honest with her. It was very emotionally quite raw, you know, and I said to her ‘wherever I go, people won’t stop asking me’.

“I took a moment and I thought ‘okay, I’m sat in the presence of the one person who could really, really give me some insight into this situation, you know.

“The man who’s been defined by a song writing partnership - if anyone can give me some advice, it’s him.

“So, I told him what had been going on and he took a minute and he looked at me and he paused and said ‘that’s bands for you’.

“And, actually, I haven’t really thought of a better way of putting it. He knows a thing or two about bands.”

Last edited by a moderator:
I reckon I wish John would talk about what position he plays on his Portland, OR Rec-League basketball team. I am really curious. His basketball court in his backyard is top mental!!!.

Fair dues to Johnny for getting advance notice of his book out there. Lots of people who have no interest in The Smiths have mentioned to me 'Hey did you know Johnny Marr has a new book coming out, I saw it mentioned on SKY or on radio etc'.
As for Paul McCartney's advice: I don't know how helpful that was. I guess Marr found it helpful but it sounds a bit glib to me. I think better advice would have been 'Stay in contact and stay friends, even if you never work together again'.

Doesn't Johnny Marr have his own fan site? It's Marr news all the time the last couple weeks.

If an item is Smiths-related or mentions Morrissey I consider that of interest to the site. It just happens he is doing a lot of press around the release of his book and these subjects have come up.

Doesn't Johnny Marr have his own fan site? It's Marr news all the time the last couple weeks.

It's almost like this website is called Morrissey solo, and Morrissey isn't mentioned in this post at all.
But The Smiths are, and wasn't Morrissey in that group back in the 80s? So by extension, you can say this post has something to do with him.

But The Smiths are, and wasn't Morrissey in that group back in the 80s? So by extension, you can say this post has something to do with him.
That's a bit of a stretch because The Smiths are barely mentioned, and it's more about Johnny, all the other Marr threads made sense, this one doesn't.

That's a bit of a stretch because The Smiths are barely mentioned, and it's more about Johnny, all the other Marr threads made sense, this one doesn't.

Well the mike Joyce threads were here so it at least follows a pattern. He just doesn't get as much news so it didn't seem like it was taking over the board

I reckon I wish John would talk about what position he plays on his Portland, OR Rec-League basketball team. I am really curious. His basketball court in his backyard is top mental!!!.

You should buy a Dummy's Guide to Wit.

Stretch out and wait. A key member of The Smiths (to which Morrissey was a member let's not forget) discusses the impact of the breakup of the group and gets advice from a Beatle - the biggest and most important band in history - and you can't see the importance of that in terms of the magnitude of Marr's feelings to The Smiths as the group ended?

Think of like his you thick runt . It gives more of a flavour of someone who morrissry loved ( probably still loves ) and respected . Worked with, created art with. It's worth more of a mention than Morrissey /smiths cover bands , events etc ( money making exercises) ,books that mention Morrissey , celebs that wear Morrissey t-shirts , Jake, SER etc etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny Marr discussion is totally appropriate here, but to bring it back to Morrissey...

It's great to see Johnny putting his own book out there and not letting Morrissey own The Smiths narrative. However, am I the only one suspecting that Johnny telling The Smiths story (likely including private material about Morrissey) will forever alienate him from Morrissey? Sounds like they're already there, but just wondering if Johnny waited until he was fairly certain there was no hope of a reunion before writing his book?

Lovely Linda...She is missed. ❤️

I'm glad Johnny was able to spend time with Paul and that he could help ease Johnny's anxiety a bit.

Johnny Marr discussion is totally appropriate here, but to bring it back to Morrissey...

It's great to see Johnny putting his own book out there and not letting Morrissey own The Smiths narrative. However, am I the only one suspecting that Johnny telling The Smiths story (likely including private material about Morrissey) will forever alienate him from Morrissey? Sounds like they're already there, but just wondering if Johnny waited until he was fairly certain there was no hope of a reunion before writing his book?

Could be but according to flibberty who's already read the smiths section there isn't to much revealing info about him or them so maybe not. I think the owning the smiths narrative is more on the target as to why it's coming out now. Morrissey wrote a highly popular book telling his story and inevitably the smiths story somewhat and with Johnny recently saying he thinks of the smiths as his band I'm guessing owning the smiths narrative is the motivating factor. The raised profile has also gotta be only a plus for him all around and people will pay attention if they think smiths secrets will be uncovered which is fair to him

I hav

I have read 2/3 of the book tonight ..as far as the split. And what comes across is how proud johnny is of the band , the music , and what they achieved with such haphazard management. He doesn't really slag moz off at all . It's quite poignant in places where his and the moz book touch on the same subject and they both feel the same .

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom