Johnny Marr on chances of working with Morrissey in the future - Steve Wright show (February 28, 2022)

It was a strange little interview on Steve Wright on Radio 2 this afternoon, with Johnny. Aside from Steve mentioning The Smiths once at the very start, in his intro about Johnny, they were not mentioned at all, even when Johnny was talking about his early years as a musician, etc. And then there was a brief exchange near the end that went something like this:

Steve Wright: Now, are you OK with me asking you the question that you probably don't want me to ask you about? You know the one.
Johnny: Sure, go for it.
Steve Wright: When did you last talk to Morrissey, or have any contact with him?
Johnny: I guess, 18 years ago. Maybe 15?
Steve Wright: Wow. And so, what are the chances of you ever maybe working together in the future?
Johnny: Zero.

And that was that.

Clarification (March 1, 2022):
The exact wording of Steve's question to Johnny was:

"So what do you see in the future for any kind of personal professional relationship with Morrissey? Could that ever happen?"

To which Johnny replied: "Oh let me think about that...zero?" (cue laughter)

:rolleyes:
Moz has had no interest in working with The Pep for 30 odd years FFS
why would Moz want to work with the Pepe? its not like
he is in great demand:lbf:

Moz works with good musicians now FFS:lbf:

:hammer:

Just heard Johnny Marr on the Steve Wright show on Radio 2.

When asked about the chances of making up with Morrissey he replied: “Zero”

All rather sad.

9DA1D2CD-E53B-4061-BF2E-978D28A8381A.jpeg

Yep. Morrissey sent the open letter, but the ball was in Johnny’s court.

I’m wondering now if Morrissey was
not just testing Marr all along.

A bond of trust, and all that.

good,now M knows where he stands.
johnboy being flogged to death by his record company,its a wonder he has time to make music.

It was a strange little interview on Steve Wright on Radio 2 this afternoon, with Johnny. Aside from Steve mentioning The Smiths once at the very start, in his intro about Johnny, they were not mentioned at all, even when Johnny was talking about his early years as a musician, etc. And then there was a brief exchange near the end that went something like this:

Steve Wright: Now, are you OK with me asking you the question that you probably don't want me to ask you about? You know the one.
Johnny: Sure, go for it.
Steve Wright: When did you last talk to Morrissey, or have any contact with him?
Johnny: I guess, 18 years ago. Maybe 15?
Steve Wright: Wow. And so, what are the chances of you ever maybe working together in the future?
Johnny: Zero.

And that was that.
Doesn't this just prove Johnny does not try to dodge any questions about Morrissey? And I think we already knew there is zero chance, because Morrissey said there is zero chance but Marr is trying to make it look like his decision now.

Yep. Morrissey sent the open letter, but the ball was in Johnny’s court.

I’m wondering now if Morrissey was
not just testing Marr all along.

A bond of trust, and all that.
I am beginning to think Moz expertly set him up knowing Marr would continue to do this :ahhh::drama::swear

good,now M knows where he stands.
johnboy being flogged to death by his record company,its a wonder he has time to make music.

Maybe you haven't heard, Johnny is promoting a double album that was just released this weekend called "Fever Dreams Parts 1 - 4".

I guess I just can't agree that there was a lot emotion involved in this, I am not sure how much emotion a person can have for someone they were really just briefly associated with 4 decades ago.

when there is music like this being created between two people, the bond can be deep

when there is music like this being created between two people, the bond can be deep

I suppose it can be but I am not sure it's a love for the ages type thing, people move on. I know there are different ways to read what Morrissey wrote, and only he knows for sure what he meant but I got a sense of exasperation more than a sense of hurt or love. Even people who get married and were once intensely in love fall out of love. But you could be absolutely right because at least one of them refuses to let go, which could mean exactly as you said, the bond can be deep.

Doesn't this just prove Johnny does not try to dodge any questions about Morrissey? And I think we already knew there is zero chance, because Morrissey said there is zero chance

but Marr is trying to make it look like his decision now.

Well, it was/is Johnny’s decision. By replying to the open letter the way he chose to, and by his comments in the Times interview, it is him saying to Morrissey that it’s over.

Well, it was/is Johnny’s decision. By replying to the open letter the way he chose to, and by his comments in the Times interview, it is him saying to Morrissey that it’s over.
To me, it seems it has been over for a long time, at least since Johnny claims Morrissey ghosted him however many years ago.

So was it chances of 'working with' Morrissey or 'making up' with Morrissey, because they're quite different things?

So was it chances of 'working with' Morrissey or 'making up' with Morrissey, because they're quite different things?
Not really...because the former is predicated on the latter, and the latter would open the door to the former.

Not really...because the former is predicated on the latter, and the latter would open the door to the former.
They've both said they don't want or need to work together anymore, that's not new. It doesn't imply animosity either, just passing of time. They reconciled in the 90s without working together again. But "zero" chance of making up is different, it's personal, it's an end of any civility.

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom