Johnny Marr - News At Ten - talks about reunion offers (October 21, 2021)

Usual Smiths references - Johnny is on the News At Ten (UK National News bulletin) shortly:

The above post was initially promoting the appearance on ITV and the text was subsequently changed.
News At Ten averages approx. 2.5 million viewers nightly.
FWD.

Edit:
Brief video clips, Morrissey mention by Nina.
Blossoms & Rick - the 'heads up would be nice' restated.
Couple of offers to reform - not as many as suggested.
Re: being offered any money to reform The Smiths:
'Because there has to be a friendship there... and the band aren't really friends.'

FWD.

What other vocalist would you describe as having a
‘glammy voice’ ?

Trying to understand what you mean by that.

Specifically Marc Bolan down to the vibrato he sometimes uses, Johnny's also mentioned liking the Flo and Eddie background vocals from the Slider. I also hear some Ian Hunter from Mott the Hoople's Honaloochie Boogie - the "I've got this friend, he's a screwdriver jiver" part. And Rock'n'Roll Animal-era Lou Reed. And more recently, I hear a bit of a more cosmic Jarvis.

In a song like Spirit Power and Soul or Receiver, I love the contrast between the driving music and the deliberately chilly vocals in the verses with the all out singing in the choruses. Very effective!

But did Johnny’s single make the top 5 in Poland ??

It’s the only chart that counts
Nowadays

If I were Johnny, I'd really start to think about which right wing nut job I am advertising on the badges I wear!

Johnny’s management team makes sure that Johnny wears all the right badges.

Specifically Marc Bolan down to the vibrato he sometimes uses, Johnny's also mentioned liking the Flo and Eddie background vocals from the Slider. I also hear some Ian Hunter from Mott the Hoople's Honaloochie Boogie - the "I've got this friend, he's a screwdriver jiver" part. And Rock'n'Roll Animal-era Lou Reed. And more recently, I hear a bit of a more cosmic Jarvis.

In a song like Spirit Power and Soul or Receiver, I love the contrast between the driving music and the deliberately chilly vocals in the verses with the all out singing in the choruses. Very effective!

hmm, I don’t hear it. I’ve only listened to Spirit power which I didn’t care for and Ariel which isn’t too bad.

Can we just talk for a moment about how monumentally shite Marr's new video for 'Spirit Power and Soul' is? It's embarrassing.

Can we just talk for a moment about how monumentally shite Marr's new video for 'Spirit Power and Soul' is? It's embarrassing.
Yes, of course we can.
After reading your post, I thought I’d refresh the grey matter with another listen to the song.

For me it gets better with each listen.
It’s fresh, modern and catchy.
Even his singing is fair to average,
But that’s not a concern. I’ve heard a lot worse.
Musically Marr has reached a peak in his solo with this effort.
The video is cool as well...
8.5/10

Well, that's right. I mean they can't all be of the Oscar-nomination-standard of Jackie's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage, can they?

Johnny’s management team makes sure that Johnny wears all the right badges.
Johnny tends to wear badges from the Manchester Modernist Society, which is an architectural society that celebrates concrete buildings. He might be doing that because he's been advised it's what all the kids are into, but...

Yes, of course we can.
After reading your post, I thought I’d refresh the grey matter with another listen to the song.

For me it gets better with each listen.
It’s fresh, modern and catchy.
Even his singing is fair to average,
But that’s not a concern. I’ve heard a lot worse.
Musically Marr has reached a peak in his solo with this effort.
The video is cool as well...
8.5/10
YEs 7/ 10 Johnny i like :Spirit power and soul!!!!!ME Gusta el tema !!!!!

Johnny tends to wear badges from the Manchester Modernist Society, which is an architectural society that celebrates concrete buildings. He might be doing that because he's been advised it's what all the kids are into, but...

“because only stone and steel accept my love”

:cool:

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom