Johnny Marr last night in NYC for Ray- Ban party

Last edited by a moderator:

Have to admit I'm really impressed by Marr's singing on these Smiths songs. He looks like he's having a fantastic time. I expect he'd almost prefer singing them himself than performing alongside Morrissey.
The whole thing is odd though. He's made so many catty remarks about Morrissey in recent years, the worse one possibly being when he was asked who is the best singer/lyricist out of Moz and the bloke from Joy Division - and he chose the latter (who, to my ears, has always sounded like Vic Reeves' club singer on Shooting Stars).
So, why are we not hearing any of the many Billy Bragg, Kirsty McColl, Modest Mouse, early Healers, Electronic, The The, Cribs etc compositions that Marr wrote. He's written some pretty impressive music with all of them.
The answer must be that the sheer power, resonance and poetic beauty of the lyrics that Morrissey wrote (and his soaring vocal melodies) massively dwarfs everything else that Marr has been involved with. He has never admitted this of course. Perhaps, though, performing these songs is having the effect of changing his mind about just how amazing his partnership with Morrissey truly was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny & Andy reunited (nicked from Facebook)

Attachments

• 301576_2389531411029_1033168140_32829074_1520331752_n.jpg
    301576_2389531411029_1033168140_32829074_1520331752_n.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 67
Fantastic photo of JM and AR. I'm sure none of us mind that you nicked it from Facebook :)

One of Johnny's latest tweets says: Back from New York to a lovely UK to rehearse for the Inception concert at Ghent Film Festival.

http://www.filmfestival.be/

Does this mean he's going to please the press in Belgium?

Dave

Fantastic photo of JM and AR. I'm sure none of us mind that you nicked it from Facebook :)

One of Johnny's latest tweets says: Back from New York to a lovely UK to rehearse for the Inception concert at Ghent Film Festival.

http://www.filmfestival.be/

Does this mean he's going to please the press in Belgium?

Dave

I love Ghent. Chips. Beer. Dulle Griet. Hauling your shoe up in a basket. Would love to be there.

P.

Isn't this all a bit strange? Johnny's great and everything, but he's not exactly Lady Gaga in terms of name recognition and record sales. It's a tad surprising that Ray-Ban would do a line of Johnny sunglasses - maybe people will buy them thinking it's something to do with Johnny Depp.

Isn't this all a bit strange? Johnny's great and everything, but he's not exactly Lady Gaga in terms of name recognition and record sales. It's a tad surprising that Ray-Ban would do a line of Johnny sunglasses - maybe people will buy them thinking it's something to do with Johnny Depp.

In terms of "image", he was always pretty much known for his shades though, wasn't he? Johnny was "The Cool One", - shades, leather jacket, the Rickenbacker and big bouffant hair. He was the typical rock star, to our Moz' effete librarian..

Nah, it's now more hip than ever to like the Smiths. If a company did a line of Gaga apparel, it would lose its hip, underground appeal. Sure, it would sell more Gaga sunglasses, but do you know how much an endorsement deal like that would cost? Johnny is indubitably cheaper.

In terms of "image", he was always pretty much known for his shades though, wasn't he? Johnny was "The Cool One", - shades, leather jacket, the Rickenbacker and big bouffant hair.

Oh he's always been a stylish man, true, and he looks wonderful - from his blackened hair to his suede shoes.

Oh he's always been a stylish man, true, and he looks wonderful - from his blackened hair to his suede shoes.

He seems to have escaped the ageing process almost entirely - he's incredibly lucky. He needs to stay away from the sunbeds/fake tanning though - that's what has aged Moz so drastically!

Looks like a beautiful venue, this Angel O. place. One wonders why they were so exclusive with the invitations though - surely a promotional event is meant to draw a lot of people. It looks sparsely populated. I'm just bitter because I didn't get an invite, I don't have the social éclat of Flax :)

Johnny-Marr-Air-Guitar-In-new-York-.jpg

Back
Top Bottom