Johnny Marr & Jon Savage - Interview - Rolling Stone Magazine

Me! I've honestly been listening to his solo stuff more than the Smiths lately. His latest album is excellent - can't get enough of the songs released so far.

I must say he is killing this PR game as well.
What!, killing the pr campaign?", its just hacks,, biggen up he's mediocre music because he's not Morrissey and the music says and means nothing, very much like Cardie B and Adele who by the way couldn't sort her Los Vegas residency out and it was just a tart and a microphone. The press give Mr boring so much slack even when he's tunes are Oasis d sides with nothing to say. It is an awful indictment of music and music journalism as it is now. Imagine if Morrissey was a music journalist now and what he would have to say about the whole farce.

The only interesting part was that having his house as the Madchester "HQ" made it difficult "family-wise" later on. Well, yeah Johnny - what parent with young kids would want Bez & the Mondays and every drugged-up idiot in 20 miles trailing in and out of the house 24/7? He tries to make it sound cool and creative but it comes across like a truckload of random people just dossed at his house for free drugs and partying, that's nothing to be proud of. After the fuss he made about the Smiths not signing to Factory and not wanting to be part of the Factory crowd, I'm really sick of how much he harps on about the Hacienda days.

And the line "just wanna breathe in the hotspots" is about Black Lives Matter? If that's true, what poor treatment of a serious subject - crap word salad.
Doss House, Italian House

:love: wonderful.
It's worth saying that this was after the court case, too, where he felt Johnny let him down.
There's always an olive branch somewhere.
Yeah pretty damn gracious of Morrissey to say that after the court case. Thanks for the reminder re time line.

Not so long ago I asked here if there were any solo Johnny songs as good as the best of The Smiths or Morrissey and nobody came up with anything. I do like his early collaborations with proper lyricist/vocalists (Electronic, The The, Kirsty, etc.) but can't get into his solo stuff at all. So I looked up his top ten most played tracks on Spotify and it includes nine songs from a Spider-Man soundtrack! The one Marr song on the list is Easy Money which I don't think would make it as a Morrissey b-side.
I enjoy listening to -

Hi, Hello
The Trap
The Right Thing, Right
Upstarts
The Messenger
New Town Velocity

Now having written out that short list I have to confront the fact that I have half an album of songs from three albums of songs. I don't deny others can enjoy the other types of styles he explores in his songs not on this list but to me they just lack that special hook I need to get into a song. Very happy others here enjoy more of what he does musically though.

Yes Marr tows the line and says nothing in interviews and complains about Morrissey a fair bit but I still love him regardless as a musician. We share a surname for god's sake!

I enjoy listening to -

Hi, Hello
The Trap
The Right Thing, Right
Upstarts
The Messenger
New Town Velocity

Now having written out that short list I have to confront the fact that I have half an album of songs from three albums of songs. I don't deny others can enjoy the other types of styles he explores in his songs not on this list but to me they just lack that special hook I need to get into a song. Very happy others here enjoy more of what he does musically though.

Yes Marr tows the line and says nothing in interviews and complains about Morrissey a fair bit but I still love him regardless as a musician. We share a surname for god's sake!
I’ll add to that list - I love both his power pop/glam side:
Dynamo
Spectral Eyes
Psychic Beginners
Tenement Time
Night and Day
Lockdown

And his synth stuff:
Actor Attractor
Armatopia
Spirit Power and Soul
Ariel
My Eternal

I don’t care for Easy Money his most popular song and didn’t like Sensory Street either.

most singers hate doing interviews,not johnboy ,he really cant stop blabbing these days.
blondie supported M,marr supporting blondie,says it all really.

well done the curlers at the olympics,,my curling days are done.🏅

most singers hate doing interviews,not johnboy ,he really cant stop blabbing these days.

It's called promotion for his new album and probably all arranged by his record company.

But it doesn't say it all if we don't know the reason why they stopped touring. Do you know why?

I saw him live twice and he definitely knows how to put on a show but yes filling the show with Smiths stuff and songs from Electronic does help.
This interview is one of the few interesting ones before he started complaining about Morrissey being his black cloud.

and just cause I thought of it...

I saw him once, didnt make it to the second show I bought tix for because I was sick, but my husband went ahead and there was a meet and greet he went to as well. I did enjoy the show I went to, but to me he seems disconnected from the audience, he throws his head back and closes his eyes a lot, or just looks down at the guitar. He does seem a bit more tolerable than usual in this interview but he still has this level of conceit I find hard to get past. He is a lot of I I I me me me I am really great. I think he would do a lot better to just being like this during interviews instead of taking shots, which just makes him look insecure.
I do think it was very sweet of Morrissey to thank Johnny, just wish Johnny wouldn't be so antagonistic and he should tell Nile to back off too, this is between 2 men, who by all accounts had a very intense relationship that most people probably don't even fully understand. I don't think it was romantic, but probably had that same intensity because really those are the kinds of things you get this bitter about when they are over.

Johnny's comment about BLM once again shows his total ignorance about politics, he doesn't seem to realize they have really fallen out of favor here, even with the fawning left, and are scandal ridden now.

I saw him live twice and he definitely knows how to put on a show but yes filling the show with Smiths stuff and songs from Electronic does help.
This interview is one of the few interesting ones before he started complaining about Morrissey being his black cloud.

and just cause I thought of it...

Please, marred, or someone here!!! ,you can tell me that Moz said in the last part with the prize in hand, I name Marr??? Please, what does Moz say

Johnny's comment about BLM once again shows his total ignorance about politics, he doesn't seem to realize they have really fallen out of favor here, even with the fawning left, and are scandal ridden now.
BLM was a scandal from minute one. The only way one can convince themselves they aren't crooks is to overdose on stupid pills.

BLM was a scandal from minute one. The only way one can convince themselves they aren't crooks is to overdose on stupid pills.

No one cares about the organisation.

They got behind the slogan & the idea.

Please, marred, or someone here!!! ,you can tell me that Moz said in the last part with the prize in hand, I name Marr??? Please, what does Moz say
Morrissey says: 'And I'd also like to thank John Marr of Wythenshawe. Thank you'. Wythenshawe was the place where Johnny Marr lived in Manchester.

Too true and they burned down our cities because they are innocent and oppressed

Last edited:
Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom