Johnny Marr Is Already Writing New Solo Material - mtvhive.com interview

MORRIZSEY

Wrong species
mtvhive.com interview by Marissa G. Muller

Excerpt -

Do you have any titles down?

I have a song called “Attack Dog” and another called “Cathedral.”

What’s the story behind “Attack Dog”?

“Attack Dog” is a song about all of these pompous jerks who are the sort of people who have to write in those little comment boxes after articles. What’s up with that? There’s a generation of people — often men of a certain age — who I’m so disappointed in. When did my generation of guys, who came out of the first wave of indie rock, turn into such curmudgeonly old bastards? It’s all reactionary. They don’t like gay people. There are these so-called enlightened liberal newspapers but yet their readers are these people who are these reactionary dicks. These are people who, if you pressed them, would say that they have liberal opinions. I don’t see that at all. Those people piss me off.

Your generation in particular grew up with Margaret Thatcher as a common enemy. How did you feel after all of these years about her dying? Some people even celebrated her death.

I’m not that ghoulish or negative but anyone who sees the word “Thatcherism” and doesn’t agree that is stands for something bad is in the minority. I understand rhetoric and the kind of tributes that happen when anyone in the public eye passes away but I felt that the current British government’s statement that Margaret Thatcher made Britain great was an insult to generations of families all over the UK who have never really recovered from her legacy. These are people that the British government are supposed to be representing. Everybody knows what her legacy is: She dismantled the working classes and British industry. To say that she made Britain great is really distasteful.

Please don't write any more songs Marr. They are terrible :(

Did you think they were all terrible Davie? I thought "New Town Velocity" and the title track, "The Messenger" were fantastic! And "European Me" was really good too. I must say most of the other songs on the new album didnt really excite me too much but I really liked those three. Wow, you didn't like any of them at all?

Did you think they were all terrible Davie? I thought "New Town Velocity" and the title track, "The Messenger" were fantastic! And "European Me" was really good too. I must say most of the other songs on the new album didnt really excite me too much but I really liked those three. Wow, you didn't like any of them at all?

"Generate, Generate" and "Lockdown" are great too.

I look forward to a 2nd album. The Messenger was very good . Love the explanation for song "Attack Dog" . Keep preaching Johnny !
Davie, can you really say that lyrically Marr is any worse than Moz's Years of Refusal or his "new" stuff ? He will never sound like Moz but does that really matter ? He holds his own . If you want just think of it as early REM music . Sometimes you could not understand the words so you closed your eyes and enjoyed the sound .

Johnny Marr was fantastic live on St Paddy's Eve at Brum Digbeth Academy. Euphoric audience. Sold out. Great venue.

"The Messenger" is an excellent first foray and shows new horizons can open up at any stage in life. The Healers was always tentative, so it's great he's found his voice both vocally and lyrically. The title song is completely hypnotic, a wonderful mix of Stone Roses, The Byrds and Love. I've no idea why his vocals and lyrics are compared to Morrissey. That's like comparing Shane McGowan to Mariah Carey: pointless.

Very reasoned and focussed comments on Thatcher's passing.

Comparing those "Art-Hounds" who fetishise from failure, consumer drones spending their trust funds as international tourist trash "in European museums", with organised Fox/Sky/Sun myrmidon "Attack Dogs" in comments after articles seems particularly silly. But hey! That's !Viva Hate! for ya!

The Grauniad has it too. They all do. That's why I largely refuse to submitt to the comment moderation tyranny of the mainstream media, preferring genuine free-speech.

Bernard Sumner's voice is a deal-breaker for me many times, not because it's very basic, but because he doesn't blend it into the mix as just another instrument. Johnny gets that balance right. There's no law that says everyone who has something to commuincate has to be an over-tutored, melisma vocal Diva like Mariah. Or Morrissey.

Unlike Johnny's uber-Mod mode, Moz's whole 'opera lite' deportment and carriage is both unintentionally funny and a bit of a facepalm. I'm pleased that Marr, like Morrissey, has now formally trained his voice, but to suggest that a trained voice and 'intellectual' lyrics are important and/or necessary to make great popular music ignores the vast avalanches of genius that used neither. Mind you, Morrissey probably thinks James Brown is 'repetitive' and has shallow lyrics. Loads of James Brown on Marr's pre-concert mixtape if I remember correctly.

We used to be very tolerant of pseuds corner casualties in Brum who thought that "cultivating the mind" was a trump card over the vivid physical graffit of circuit-training footie jocks. Of course, the mind and the body are the same: the body-mind. Most of Morrissey's strangled yelps are an attempt to actually heal that bifurcation. And most of the music he eulogises is as much Dionysus as Apollo, not that he'd understand those terms, probably. Unless Joey Barton told him about his latest "if you like this, you'll like that" recommendations from his book club. Joey and Moz welcome you to their weekly St Tropez soiree, to their book club where they discuss world literature and philosophy. And football and crime and boxing and loads of other cliches to suggest depth as well as surface to the credulous.

Johnny Marr has become an extremely interesting person and I have great hopes for his next album. Can't wait to see him live again.

Cool. Johnny live was AMAZING, and I thought 'The Messenger' was a very promising debut. What he really needs to do is reign in his tendency to spend a few months on one project, then bugger off and do something else. I think the more he tours, writes and records as a solo artist, the more he is going to develop, and the stronger his voice is going to get. Just look at the huge difference between how weak, flat, off-key and lacking in range Morrissey's voice was on the Smiths debut album, compared to how it is now.

I have a song called “Attack Dog” and another called “Cathedral.”

What’s the story behind “Attack Dog”?

“Attack Dog” is a song about all of these pompous jerks who are the sort of people who have to write in those little comment boxes after articles. What’s up with that? There’s a generation of people — often men of a certain age — who I’m so disappointed in. When did my generation of guys, who came out of the first wave of indie rock, turn into such curmudgeonly old bastards? It’s all reactionary. They don’t like gay people. There are these so-called enlightened liberal newspapers but yet their readers are these people who are these reactionary dicks. These are people who, if you pressed them, would say that they have liberal opinions. I don’t see that at all. Those people piss me off.

He rails against his generation becoming "curmudgeonly old bastards" as he whines about internet posters leaving comments he doesn't think are appropriate.

I didn't like any of them. He's not Johnny Marr anymore. His genius has somewhat withered since The Smiths. He has new influences now and they are all bad judging by that album alone.

I didn't like any of them. He's not Johnny Marr anymore. His genius has somewhat withered since The Smiths. He has new influences now and they are all bad judging by that album alone.

I haven't heard anything from him that I've genuinely liked since The Smiths. A few decent riffs, and his playing is still beautiful, but that's it.

Back
Top Bottom