Johnny Marr Interview On The Messenger, Smiths, & Other People’s Bands -stereogum.com

Re: Johnny Marr Interview On The Messenger, Smiths, & Other People’s Bands -stereogum

Johnny Marr On The Messenger, The Smiths, And Why He Can’t Stop Joining Other People’s Bands

stereogum.com interview

http://stereogum.com/1227062/johnny-marr-qa/interview/

Modest Mouse are 'the best gang I've ever been in'? :laughing:

This quote was very bittersweet:

I like working with people who are very strong willed — people like the Jarman brothers or Matt Johnson or Isaac Brock or Morrissey. And when those relationships run their course, well … life goes on for all of us, doesn’t it?

A fair-weather friend for sure.

Last edited:
Re: Johnny Marr Interview On The Messenger, Smiths, & Other People’s Bands -stereogum

Great interview.

Loved this: "I didn’t play any Smiths songs at all for the longest time...It just didn’t feel like the right thing to do. Then when everybody else started to do them, I thought, 'How come I am the only person trying to say this shouldn’t be done?' Then Neil Finn and Eddie Vedder finally dragged it out of me to play one, and I saw the light. I’ll stop there before I make a terrible pun."

This quote was very bittersweet:

"I like working with people who are very strong willed — people like the Jarman brothers or Matt Johnson or Isaac Brock or Morrissey. And when those relationships run their course, well … life goes on for all of us, doesn’t it?"

A fair-weather friend for sure.

I didn't interpret it that way at all... especially when, towards the end of the interview, both interviewer and Johnny elaborate further...

STEREOGUM: I understand how people can love something so intensely that they can’t seem to let go of the idea. I think bands are a lot like romantic relationships — or even friendships, really — they have a certain shelf life, be it long or short, and then they are over. That doesn’t take away from the meaningfulness of it, but its just life. Some relationships run their course. You break up. It’s not the end of the world.

MARR: No, it’s not. Particularly for bands. If you’ve left a legacy behind you — a body of work that people really love — then that itself is a good thing. That’s enough.

I think Johnny has a healthy attitude. Knows when to move on.

Hey Amy ,Another article on J.M (oh you were the first to reply=Surprise)
talking about the smiths (the only reason for him to be in the news)
Because all the scrub bands he has been in, have sucked !
He started singing "smiths" songs (what a horror) cos he has NO other songs

What a joy to read ! I think its great he will draw from ALL his music for the tour to support The Messenger in 2013 . I always learn something new when Marr gives a interview .

Hey Amy ,Another article on J.M (oh you were the first to reply=Surprise)
talking about the smiths (the only reason for him to be in the news)
Because all the scrub bands he has been in, have sucked !
He started singing "smiths" songs (what a horror) cos he has NO other songs

It truly is always the anonymous people who are the trolls.

What's everyone's opinion about The Messenger? I admit I thought it was cute to see Johnny singing. Made me wonder if there is an alternative universe where The Smiths were a trio with Johnny as both guitarist and frontman, whereas Morrissey ended up as a go-go dancer in a dodgy bar in Canal Street. Hee. :)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom