Johnny Marr interview in SPIN mentions why The Smiths won't reunite, Classically Smiths

Shoplifterromo sends the link:

Johnny Marr on His New Solo Album, Why the Smiths Won’t Reunite, and the Time He Almost Fell in a Volcano - SPIN
Maggie Serota // September 25, 2018

Excerpt:

I’m not going to ask you if the Smiths are ever going to reunite, because I know the answer is no. What I will ask is, do you feel like you dodged a bullet not reuniting given the political positions Morrissey has taken recently?

I don’t know whether I dodged a bullet because of that. I just feel like we never reformed because we shouldn’t have reformed. I don’t like ‘dodging the bullet,’ because there’s so many reasons why we haven’t reformed. I think that’s fair to say, and I don’t think that would come as any kind of puzzle or surprise to anybody. I don’t feel like I dodged any bullets. And also we never really got close to reforming, except for a conversation that happened quite a long time ago.

What did you think of that “Classically Smiths” event that kind of fell apart very quickly with Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce?

There wasn’t really much time to think anything of it. I heard about it when everybody else heard about it, which tells you all you need to know, really. It was particularly disrespectful that I wasn’t consulted, and I kind of feel it was a farce in the way it went down, really. I thought about it how I imagine everybody else thought about it, that it was really kind of sketchy. That is disappointing to me, that the band gets chained to that kind of sketchiness. It’s a good thing those guys weren’t organizing the gigs when we were together, otherwise we would’ve never gone on the stage.

It's odd, isn't it, how Marr can sing Morrissey's words one minute - words full of observation, humour, empathy, insight and wisdom. And then switch to his own depressingly gormless lyrics the next. Words full of cliches, clumsiness, dullness - all sung in a ghastly fake mid-Atlantic accent.

Agreed. Really though, what could Johnny write about? Morrissey’s best lyrics come from his ruminations on loneliness, restlessness, inner frustrations. Johnny is gregarious and has always been the life of the party, been with the same girl forever, 2 kids, big house, plenty of cash… he’s just too damn happy to write songs about existential angst.

God knows, he could try harder in that department though.

Love fights love
Invading my zero gravity
The crowd grows
And grows illusions
Down on quantity street
High speed our miracles
Way too smart
But short on innocence
Endorphin heaven
I believe it all, but I don't feel it

Who gives a damn about whether the Smiths reunite? It was all about Morrissey. Johnny Marr would be a totally unknown person without Morrissey. He plays guitar. Wow. There's millions who play guitar. The Smiths was all about the man in front singing his heart out and connecting with people.
Morrissey's solo career has had a bunch of masterpieces while all the other Smiths haven't really done much of anything.

Yes, I do think Morrissey intended the Joan of Arc pun that way. Speaking of album covers, I've read an interview with Johnny where he noticed there was a physical resemblance between himself and Shelagh Delaney.

Yes, I think he was asked, "Who would play you in a film of your life?", and he said possibly Shelagh Delaney. Morrissey chose the cover of Louder than Bombs because he thought she looked like Johnny in the photo - I'd imagine that's where it comes from.

R-1514790-1387486751-8697.png.jpg

I find it interesting that in their later years Johnny seems to be on the rise whereas Morrissey star is fading at an alarming rate. Johnny’s last album received better reviews than Morrissey’s by a country mile according to metacritic, which rounds up all the major reviews. It’s also interesting that each of Johnnys last 3 albums has charted higher than the previous one whereas Morrissey chart placing has gone backwards and finally it looks like Johnny is in the middle of a very successful world tour whereas Morrissey is desperately looking for countries where he still has a opportunity to sell tickets.

Hopefully his covers album will open him up to a new audience but I’m not convinced.

Not only that, Moz looks like an old man and Johnny still looks like a rock star!

Did anyone know that SPIN even exists anymore? Oh, wow, SPIN, a magazine that hasn't been relevant for the last 30 years, is interviewing a guitarist who also hasn't been relevant for the last 30 years. LOL
Here's a few things for them:
Viva Hate
Vauxhall & I
Southpaw Grammar (reissue)
You Are The Quarry
Ringleader of the Tormentors
Low in High School

I love the other Morrissey albums, too. And the singles, b-sides, and whatnot. Because Morrissey's my guy. But if I'm entirely objective, those are 6 masterpieces in his solo career that are among the best albums of all time.
What the HELL has Johnny Marr done in those years? Nothing that won't wind up in the dustbin of history.
Johnny Marr is basically just playing to 50 year old music journalists at this point. He has no connection to real people. He sucks up to the mainstream media because of their mutual contempt for the people. He thought all the regular people in the UK who voted for Brexit were scum.
Morrissey and Johnny Rotten weren't so detached from reality to say something so stupid. The real artists haven't lost their connection to the people. Johnny Marr is a guitar boy for the establishment and he hasn't put out a single song that has mattered in decades.

Last edited:
Did anyone know that SPIN even exists anymore? Oh, wow, SPIN, a magazine that hasn't been relevant for the last 30 years, is interviewing a guitarist who also hasn't been relevant for the last 30 years. LOL
Here's a few things for them:
Viva Hate
Vauxhall & I
Southpaw Grammar (reissue)
You Are The Quarry
Ringleader of the Tormentors
Low in High School

I love the other Morrissey albums, too. And the singles, b-sides, and whatnot. Because Morrissey's my guy. But if I'm entirely objective, those are 6 masterpieces in his solo career that are among the best albums of all time.
What the HELL has Johnny Marr done in those years? Nothing that won't wind up in the dustbin of history.
Johnny Marr is basically just playing to 50 year old music journalists at this point. He has no connection to real people. He sucks up to the mainstream media because of their mutual contempt for the people. He thought all the regular people in the UK who voted for Brexit were scum.
Morrissey and Johnny Rotten weren't so detached from reality to say something so stupid. The real artists haven't lost their connection to the people. Johnny Marr is a guitar boy for the establishment and he hasn't put out a single song that has mattered in decades.

Why so angry, dude? Why can't people enjoy both Morrissey and Marr and be content that they are still making music? It's not a contest or a war you have to take sides on.

You wanna know what a small person Johnny Marr is? Marr is the one who ruined the Smiths. Okay, whatever. So Morrissey moves on and is putting out fantastic songs without him. And Johnny Marr could not say one good word. He could not send a letter to Morrissey saying, "Hey, I heard your latest single, good job". No, he couldn't do that. He left Morrissey to fend for himself and Morrissey carried on with great songs that will go down in music history, and little Johnny Marr could not even say a nice word. He was too busy putting out trash with Electronic and The The. Like anyone gives a shit.

I remember once Morrissey stating that it really hurt his feelings that Johnny Marr could not say one good word about any of the songs he was putting out as a solo artist. Morrissey would've been cool sticking with the Smiths just as he has stayed with Boz ever since. I really felt for him when he mentioned Johnny never had a good word to say.

You, sir, are indeed a paragon of objectivity.

I am objective. Those aren't among your favorite albums in your collection?
I could've named the others, but I was being objective.

And I'll be objective about SPIN. This was their peak, and their best magazine cover ever by far, and it was a long time ago:
MorrisseyCover-1501179101-824x1000.jpg

I am objective. Those aren't among your favorite albums in your collection?
I could've named the others, but I was being objective.

And I'll be objective about SPIN. This was their peak, and their best magazine cover ever by far, and it was a long time ago:
MorrisseyCover-1501179101-824x1000.jpg

It's interesting when you look at this SPIN cover as the other artists, with the exception of PJ Harvey, are either dead or over. Meanwhile Morrissey recently put out another masterpiece, "Low in High School".

That's not really an attack on the other artists. The music biz is TOUGH. But Morrissey's still standing like a champ when almost everyone else is finished.

Look how long ago that was. They were going on about Dan Quayle. That's like a century ago. I vaguely remember Dan Quayle, he couldn't spell potato. LOL That's like a million years ago. Well, Morrissey had a masterpiece out then, and he's continued to put great stuff out all these years later. Very few music artists manage that.

I remember once Morrissey stating that it really hurt his feelings that Johnny Marr could not say one good word about any of the songs he was putting out as a solo artist. Morrissey would've been cool sticking with the Smiths just as he has stayed with Boz ever since. I really felt for him when he mentioned Johnny never had a good word to say.

Wait, you're mad because Johnny Marr didn't write Morrissey a note 30 years ago? Did you not read Morrissey's Autobiography? Did you see that heartfelt note Johnny wrote to him that he kept for decades and printed in full?

I've got to say, that is a slightly ridiculous assertion from a grown man. Did Morrissey rush to congratulate Johnny on his post-Smiths work?

You wanna know what a small person Johnny Marr is? Marr is the one who ruined the Smiths. Okay, whatever. So Morrissey moves on and is putting out fantastic songs without him. And Johnny Marr could not say one good word. He could not send a letter to Morrissey saying, "Hey, I heard your latest single, good job". No, he couldn't do that. He left Morrissey to fend for himself and Morrissey carried on with great songs that will go down in music history, and little Johnny Marr could not even say a nice word. He was too busy putting out trash with Electronic and The The. Like anyone gives a shit.

Do you mean Electronic whose debut album reached number 2 in the charts and reached Gold from a sales perspective (that meant at least 500k sales back then) Thats pretty good going for a band that put out trash and no one gave a shit about.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom