Johnny Marr interview in SPIN mentions why The Smiths won't reunite, Classically Smiths

Shoplifterromo sends the link:

Johnny Marr on His New Solo Album, Why the Smiths Won’t Reunite, and the Time He Almost Fell in a Volcano - SPIN
Maggie Serota // September 25, 2018

Excerpt:

I’m not going to ask you if the Smiths are ever going to reunite, because I know the answer is no. What I will ask is, do you feel like you dodged a bullet not reuniting given the political positions Morrissey has taken recently?

I don’t know whether I dodged a bullet because of that. I just feel like we never reformed because we shouldn’t have reformed. I don’t like ‘dodging the bullet,’ because there’s so many reasons why we haven’t reformed. I think that’s fair to say, and I don’t think that would come as any kind of puzzle or surprise to anybody. I don’t feel like I dodged any bullets. And also we never really got close to reforming, except for a conversation that happened quite a long time ago.

What did you think of that “Classically Smiths” event that kind of fell apart very quickly with Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce?

There wasn’t really much time to think anything of it. I heard about it when everybody else heard about it, which tells you all you need to know, really. It was particularly disrespectful that I wasn’t consulted, and I kind of feel it was a farce in the way it went down, really. I thought about it how I imagine everybody else thought about it, that it was really kind of sketchy. That is disappointing to me, that the band gets chained to that kind of sketchiness. It’s a good thing those guys weren’t organizing the gigs when we were together, otherwise we would’ve never gone on the stage.

Most of Moz' reviews were politically biased of course ;)

If anything Marr's solo-success brings a reunion slightly closer as they are more evenly matched in terms of success than, say, a decade ago.
However, Moz is never going to be the one approaching.
So it takes Johnny to be diplomatic and give it one last shot, maybe with the help of a mutual friend, Chrissie Hynde springs to mind.

Johnny believes it was 'disrespectful' that he wasn't consulted before the 'Classically Smiths' debacle. I can't help wondering why he believes Mike or Craig would particularly feel the need or inclination to approach him.

I've read this a few times and I can't tell if you're taking the mick. I mean, I can't think of anyone whose playing is less deep and touching. He's a very limited, clunky punk-type player. "Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want" is deep, touching and melancholy, but uh...?
I'm serious.. But the way I see things is very wide. I take into consideration many factors (which some people might not, and would probably sound very weird, and thus pointless to list here). It took me a while to hear his specific sound, but when I did, I understood it, and was touched. I find it very raw, direct, very soft. I'll not list, but I can share that I think loyalty and friendship are also heard in sound.. (But, I'm sure this might be perceived as eccentric or just very strange).

Last edited:
You Just Haven't...

There Is A Light...

Last Night...

Headmaster Ritual:

HSIN was played too (6/21 songs=Smiths covers).
All from the same venue as previous video from 3 days ago.
Never sure what to make of the covers.
The new album has grown on me a little, but before the emojis fly in to action - it's nothing that really grabs me.
He's happy doing his thing though - so good on him.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
You Just Haven't...

There Is A Light...

Both same venue as previous video from 3 days ago.
The new album has grown on me a little, but before the emojis fly in to action - it's nothing that really grabs me.
Regards,
FWD.

I think he's turning into a fine solo artist, far more confident on the mic and he has mastered being able to sing and play those wonderful guitar parts perfectly.

You Just Haven't...

There Is A Light...

Both same venue as previous video from 3 days ago.
Regards,
FWD.

HOLY SMOKE!!:squiffy:

is this a tour of Benny Hannas???:knife::knife::forkknife::scissors:

I think he's turning into a fine solo artist, far more confident on the mic and he has mastered being able to sing and play those wonderful guitar parts perfectly.
I agree. This is not half bad. At first it seemed like he was almost embarrassed to be singing those songs because he knew he couldn't match Morrissey. Now it's as if he's said 'f*** it' and he's just decided to do them his own way, and it's so much better for it. Obviously his voice has improved, which definitely helps, though. Good on ya, Johnny.

I agree. This is not half bad. At first it seemed like he was almost embarrassed to be singing those songs because he knew he couldn't match Morrissey. Now it's as if he's said 'f*** it' and he's just decided to do them his own way, and it's so much better for it. Obviously his voice has improved, which definitely helps, though. Good on ya, Johnny.

He doesn't chose those who are difficult to sing.

Out of interest,what qualifies you to make that comment?

I don't need any qualifications to know that I Know It's Over or Asleep are, technically or emotionally, more difficult to sing than Bigmouth Strikes Again or How Soon Is Now.

I don't need any qualifications to know that I Know It's Over or Asleep are, technically or emotionally, more difficult to sing than Bigmouth Strikes Again or How Soon Is Now.

Can't see why they are technically challenging but can see why Marr would avoid them from an emotional perspective.

It's part of their bubble lexicon that rotates around a handful of slang terms that they somehow think has any impact on anyone outside of making them look like autistic teens.

Snowflake, cuck, sjw, triggered and so on.

If you've ever hung around teenage boys with fragile egos, this is the kind of stuff they obsess over.

I mostly blame video games, as it allows an escape from the demands of a social life. It's created an incredibly resentful, self-absorbed generation of men who are easily agitated, and prone to anti-social behavior.

But, it's a little more complicated than that. Their social retardation doesn't offer the chivalry, and financial stability that has been used to attract women in the past, and now that isolation, and resentment is being played out through the Internet where they can get away with it anonymously.

Hell hath no fury like a lonely boy.

They don't like themselves, and someone is going to pay for that. Those people are usually any aggrieved minority, or other soft targets. It's not all about them anymore, and they can't cope. Identity crisis.

True story.

Of course everybody knows this but DramaJ and his acolytes. Old dudes acting like 15 years old:squiffy:
Very sad, if DramaJ jumps off a cliff they hurry up and run to do the same. DramaJ has a gay bird:bird:
tat ON HIS NECK FFS watch them now come and claim that Mozart and Liszt and just anyone had one too. :monkey:

No, I don't believe they've had such a discussion or it likely would've been mentioned in "Autobiography" and/or "Set the Boy Free". This probably more than anything is the reason that Morrissey & Marr have not done a single thing together since the split (Johnny join Morrissey on stage or vice-versa). Frankly, I think they both have things to own up to and apologize for at the end and toward the end of The Smiths. If that conversation ever happens then perhaps the possibility of a Morrissey/Marr reunion exists. Full Smiths reunion? Probably never.
Both autobiographies are unreliable. Marr's because he says too little because he's afraid of saying too much, and Morrissey's, because he says too much and ends up saying little.

chicka chicka BOOM!!:guitar: There you go, a :frogface: song to make you happy.

Now hurry up and put on your long britches, the COMET:drama:
is coming.:lbf:

The fing Comet:lbf:

War! Politics! Morrissey got a blowjob! Or did he give one? BOOM! :guitar:There you go, a :mock: song to make you happy.

Now hurry up and put on your Angus Young (Young! HA!) schoolboy uniform
because at nearly 60 years old, Morrissey is low in HIGH SCHOOL! :drama:
fing High School:lbf:

Last edited:
War! Politics! Morrissey got a blowjob! Or did he give one? BOOM! There you go, a :mock: song to make you happy.

Now hurry up and put on your Angus Young (Young! HA!) schoolboy uniform
because at nearly 60 years old, Morrissey is low in HIGH SCHOOL! :drama:
fing High School:lbf:

"YOUNG!HA!" What in F???????????????:rolleyes:
Hitting the BQ sauce again?:crazy:

Both autobiographies are unreliable. Marr's because he says too little because he's afraid of saying too much, and Morrissey's, because he says too much and ends up saying little.

says too much and ends up saying little. of courseo_O that makes perfect sense.

:crazy:

bar owner should lock up the sauce coming closing times FGS!o_O

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom