Johnny Marr interview - family, Ireland

Amy

from the Ice Age to the dole age
A fairly unusual Johnny interview, talking about his family and Irish background.
No Smiths or particular music mentions, apart from that Chrissie Hynde is a close friend and has been an influence on him singing.

He and his brother changed their name from Maher to Marr because no one could pronounce Maher ? Maher is pronounced the same as Marr.
Wasn't it because of John Maher of the Buzzcocks ? Well that's what he said back then.

so Hynde is to blame !

No, Sumner is the real culprit...Marr must have thought, f he can get away with singing..then he's going to have some of that.

That’s what I thought. Believe he also said something about Lou Reed not being able to sing, so..

No, Sumner is the real culprit...Marr must have thought, f he can get away with singing..then he's going to have some of that.
Bit unfair, Bernard never wanted to be New Orders singer and only took the role because the band didn't want to bring anyone else in and he could sing (sort of) and play guitar at the same time.

Bit unfair, Bernard never wanted to be New Orders singer and only took the role because the band didn't want to bring anyone else in and he could sing (sort of) and play guitar at the same time.

I’m sure that’s what Bizzaro was getting at. That made Marr think he may also be able to do it. I mentioned he sighted Lou, and wouldn’t be surprised if Liam was another one.

But I agree Bernard didn’t want to sing. And his ‘style’ does fit the New Order stuff, especially when they went more electronic.

He and his brother changed their name from Maher to Marr because no one could pronounce Maher ? Maher is pronounced the same as Marr.
Wasn't it because of John Maher of the Buzzcocks ? Well that's what he said back then.

It's both. At school, teachers would pronounce his name as "May-her" or "Mayor". When the Buzzcocks hit, that sealed it.

I’m sure that’s what Bizzaro was getting at. That made Marr think he may also be able to do it. I mentioned he sighted Lou, and wouldn’t be surprised if Liam was another one.

But I agree Bernard didn’t want to sing. And his ‘style’ does fit the New Order stuff, especially when they went more electronic.

Probably, I think the fact he couldn't sing well added to their charm at the time, back then you never knew what you were going to get and it was far more enjoyable than the polished perfomances they deliver today.

Speaking of New Order jus been speaking with Hooky this morning about catching bloody Covid at the Bunnymen gig last Friday, after he pointed out that I looked like shit!!

A little tongue in cheek.

Probably, I think the fact he couldn't sing well added to their charm at the time, back then you never knew what you were going to get and it was far more enjoyable than the polished perfomances they deliver today.

Speaking of New Order jus been speaking with Hooky this morning about catching bloody Covid at the Bunnymen gig last Friday, after he pointed out that I looked like shit!!
Get well soon! didnt know you were in touch with peter hook.

Yes but, when people read it they may not have known it was pronounced the same as Marr, they may have read it as "MarHer"
I think that is what he means.
Beyond that yes I thought he changed it due to the Buzzcocks guy, but that may be one of those myth things

Sorry to hear that. Get well soon.
Sweetie-Pie Hooky as ever... ;)

She is, been to see Echobelly a couple of times and met her once in a a pub in Kensington called The Scarsdale Tavern, which she told us was her local.
How many times were you "just passing" ? :)

Hope it's a mild case. Get well soon.

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom