Johnny Marr interview by Simon Hattenstone in The Guardian; extract from memoir

It's a big, wide-ranging interview and the book extract is revealing. Tons of stuff to interest folk here. Should have it up within an hour or two, when I get back.

**EDIT** Here we go. Don't say I never give you anything. I find the last page the most revealing and interesting.

**FURTHER EDIT** - weblink here...

Johnny Marr: ‘The conversation about re-forming the Smiths came out of the blue' - The Guardian
By Simon Hattenstone
It’s 29 years since the Smiths split up, and founding member Johnny Marr isn’t angry any more. So what happened when he and Morrissey met for a drink?

Media coverage:

39295_guardian_marr_20161029_1.jpg

aCTZAwI.jpg

QFcZogG.jpg

9Z0Bppi.jpg

fQ6LunM.jpg

SSMCbAb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i think just as morrissey vetoed music like 'money changes everything' today johnny would need veto over bad lyrics. who would want to see "kiss me a lot" etc laid over a marr composition? johnny would be better to get taylor swift to write some lyrics... it is totally insane when morrissey says he prefers WPINOOB to the smiths (or his early) output. most of the lyrics aren't just bad by his standard, they are bad by anyone's.

Am I the only one who wouldn't want a Smiths reunion?

I wouldn't want them to become some sort of nostalgia act, and I'm afraid if they recorded new material together that it would turn out anticlimactic - like when Brett Anderson and Bernard Butler got back together and made the underwhelming "Here Come the Tears". Either way, I think I would be disappointed.

I want to remember The Smiths the way they were.

Also, what a decent, likeable person Johnny Marr is.

No, you're not the only one. I came along just as The Smiths were at their peak, so I never had a chance. Even so, I don't think I'd want them to reform, or for M&M to do shows together. I'm happy enough seeing them both separately as solo acts.

Everyone has their own idea about what a M&M reunion would or should look like, and there's a significant chance that it wouldn't live up to individual expectations. Why risk all those beautiful memories of the Smiths days if a reunion went badly? To be disappointed by that experience, or having something go wrong, would be awful - especially for us who don't have their own experience of Smiths gigs. If anything, it would be great to see M&M maybe re-record a Smiths track together, some kind of acoustic rendition or the like. Of course this is all a pipe dream, but it's a nice thought.

Am I the only one who wouldn't want a Smiths reunion?

I wouldn't want them to become some sort of nostalgia act, and I'm afraid if they recorded new material together that it would turn out anticlimactic - like when Brett Anderson and Bernard Butler got back together and made the underwhelming "Here Come the Tears". Either way, I think I would be disappointed.

I want to remember The Smiths the way they were.

Also, what a decent, likeable person Johnny Marr is.

"Am i the only one'' No. How special and unique do you think you're opinion is.

Really interesting reading all the views/opinions in this thread but i also can't help thinking that Marr has achieved what he wanted, which is publicity for his book.

... i also can't help thinking that Marr has achieved what he wanted, which is publicity for his book.

Well, that's certainly how the publishers market these things. I expect Johnny himself is just as interested in talking about any of the dozens of other bands he's played with, but it's inevitable that any newspaper is going to want a juicy Morrissey-link extract.

The more I think about this, I imagine Morrissey never responded to Johnny because he was about to release an album with a band he really likes about then. It is a bit insensitive of Johnny to actual pursue a reunion about this time. Maybe write a song together, but a reunion? Once Morrissey sobered up, he probably thought what the hell did i agree to? He was happy with what he had.

"Am i the only one'' No. How special and unique do you think you're opinion is.

"You're opinion"?

How embarrassing.

Learn to spell, punk.

Last edited:
If there is a reunion Morrissey should bite the bullet and apologise to Mike Joyce to get the original foursome back together.

He was happy with what he had.

And who wouldn't be? Yet another mediocre album of patchy, so-so indie pop, instead of reforming the greatest band of all time, having record labels literally beg you to sign for them, and playing to sold out arenas and stadiums around the world...

You can say all the shit you want but at the end of the day if Mike Joyce is not in the line up I'm sorry but it's NOT THE 4ckinq SMITHS !
Call it what you want but it can't be called The Smiths you stupid thick as 4ck bot Mother4ckin 4ck tard 4ckin half-wits !
"90% The Smiths" ! Do me a favour and rest your head on a high speed rail line and let's hope the trains are running on time !

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife::jackolantern:

The Ramones were still the Ramones when Marky replaced Tommy on drums.

In 2006, Morrissey declared, "I would rather eat my own testicles than reform the Smiths, and that's saying something for a vegetarian."

He must have been talking bollocks if 2 years later he was considering a reunion.
Morrissey likes to mess with people. Maybe he just wanted to know Marr would do it if he wanted to. In effect Morrissey got to know that 1 He can reform The Smiths any time he wants to. 2. Johnny is willing to throw Mike Joyce under the bus to do it.
For someone like Morrissey I think that is worth more than whatever he would get paid to go out there and pretend to be The Smiths.

Morrissey likes to mess with people. Maybe he just wanted to know Marr would do it if he wanted to. In effect Morrissey got to know that 1 He can reform The Smiths any time he wants to. 2. Johnny is willing to throw Mike Joyce under the bus to do it.
For someone like Morrissey I think that is worth more than whatever he would get paid to go out there and pretend to be The Smiths.

Interesting take, but what does " For someone like Morrissey " mean?

" For someone like Morrissey " = a drunkard who is co-morbid with every personality disorder there is

"For a while he became the most illustrious hired hand in the business, playing with Paul McCartney, the Pretenders and U2. "
When did Johnny ever play with U2?

When the pretenders opened for u2 mar was with them. Maybe he got on stage with u2 one night for a song or something

Looks like Marr can spot talented musicians for his band - this is superb. Can't imagine Jesse playing this somehow.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom