Johnny Marr interview: ‘I had to defend myself against Morrissey’ - thetimes.co.uk

Johnny Marr interview - The Times

Johnny Marr tells his side.

Excerpt:

A month on the guitarist explains his decision to come out fighting. “When you’re attacked out of the blue, particularly in public, you have to defend yourself. The letter was designed to be insulting, wasn’t it? That has to have been the idea. If it’s something that’s not based in fact, you have to react in kind, which is just” — he curls his lip — “with ridicule.” Tellingly, he doesn’t use the M word.

full

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont think M was insulting, it was more of a request.johnboy really cant help hinself.

Is it a rule for journalists who are interviewing Johnny these days to mention how black his hair is? It's really odd.
we could all have jet black hair,all it takes is a trip to Boots the chemist.

Johnny should know Morrissey enough to recognise that the letter wasn't an "attack", it was an old friend (clearly wounded and upset) asking for better treatment. Christ, it even says, "I have not ever attacked you or your solo life... I have applauded your genius...", etc. I doubt it's the first letter of that type that he's received, either.

Morrissey's letter came from the heart and Johnny's response was completely uncaring. Saying "it's about attention" sounds like a viewpoint he's picked up from Twitter.

It absolutely breaks my heart to say this, but Morrissey needs to forget Johnny exists and let him go. When someone throws your love for them back in your face, when they just laugh at how much they've hurt you, you've got to move on. JM will realise who his real friends are one day & will regret twisting the knife for the sake of some strangers online.

Last edited:
his image is just as important as his artistic identitiy,,,my arse,the photo with him and andy the other day,seen better dressed homeless people.
his new album is comfortably his best,with lyrics like Got Get Got how could it be anything else.

Last edited:
This is really interesting, did any of you read this? This was written without any input from anyone Not a single Marr syllable, the writer sets the scene by saying..
Sitting in his manager’s HQ in north London, Marr is clearly conscious that discussing Morrissey risks adding fuel to the fire. This is his first interview since their very public spat last month, and when the subject comes up Marr’s normally sunny demeanour changes; his expression is less amiable interlocutor and more jut-jawed pugilist.
So then what? It reads to me like nothing happened after this. Marr ignores all questions with Morrisey in them? or he says o f*** off? or what? because there's no questions, answers, comments here, of any kind, not one, Just the authors accounts of the events prior. read between the lines people..Before you start throwing rocks.

Sad man

This is really interesting, did any of you read this? This was written without any input from anyone Not a single Marr syllable, the writer sets the scene by saying..
Sitting in his manager’s HQ in north London, Marr is clearly conscious that discussing Morrissey risks adding fuel to the fire. This is his first interview since their very public spat last month, and when the subject comes up Marr’s normally sunny demeanour changes; his expression is less amiable interlocutor and more jut-jawed pugilist.
So then what? It reads to me like nothing happened after this. Marr ignores all questions with Morrisey in them? or he says o f*** off? or what? because there's no questions, answers, comments here, of any kind, not one, Just the authors accounts of the events prior. read between the lines people..Before you start throwing rocks.
Did you read the entire article?

A month on the guitarist explains his decision to come out fighting. “When you’re attacked out of the blue, particularly in public, you have to defend yourself. The letter was designed to be insulting, wasn’t it? That has to have been the idea. If it’s something that’s not based in fact, you have to react in kind, which is just” — he curls his lip — “with ridicule.” Tellingly, he doesn’t use the M word.

“Look, it was about [his wanting] attention,” Marr continues, “and I’m getting a lot of it. I’ve got my new record coming out, and that’s getting attention too. All my solo records have. I just do what I do. I’ll just carry on being who I am.”

What is interesting about it is this is the first interview since that debacle and the first thing Marr does is starts talking about Morrissey.

Last edited:
his image is just as important as his artistic identitiy,,,my arse,the photo with him and andy the other day,seen better dressed homeless people.
his new album is comfortably his best,with lyrics like Got Get Got how could it be anything else.
:lbf:

I always thought Johnny Marr was a pretentious little turd. His tunes are nice little riffs repeated over and over that Morrissey miraculously turned into utter gems. Listen to the instrumental of You Just Haven’t Earned it Yet, Baby and marvel at Morrissey’s talent in turning out the finished article.
Those that do are judged by those who tried and found they couldn’t do.

managed to maintain a mystique

For someone who released his autobiography in 2016 and is interviewed as frequently as any pop star of his status, this can only mean he had nothing interesting to say.

Just in time to promote the new album by yet again using the "offensively outspoken" "64 year old" Morrissey to grab some headlines. I guess Johnny didn't quite understand what Moz was asking for in his open letter. It's all a bit pathetic for a grown man to keep going on about.

I guess Johnny didn't quite understand what Moz was asking for in his open letter.
He understood, he just doesn't care. Why should he? Morrissey doesn't get to control him anymore - if he doesn't like it, tough titty.

Excerpt:

full

Related items:

Excerpt:

full

Related items:
If JM classes that as an "attack" he would be advised to spend the rest if his days in the nearest hippy commune available.

I think Johnny's underlying problem is he knows that The Smiths was the pinnacle of his career and the zenith of his musical compositions. He's done some really good stuff since then (The The, Electronic) but with those collaborations yet again he wasn't the driving force.

Morrissey, on the other hand, has surpassed The Smiths with some of his solo work. Morrissey was/is the driving force behind his entire career.

The fundamental question to be asked is: does Johnny's best solo album even compare with Morrissey's worst? We all know the answer to that.

Nasty wee article.

It knows it's on shaky ground though (borderline, aligned - 🙄) - so that's an improvement.

I'm surprised at the homophobia though - negatively contrasting Morrissey's sexuality with Marr's is plain bigotry.

Also - Morrissey has been open about his mental health struggles & it's unlikely he's ever going to talk to the press again - so how long can they keep pretending he has "diatribes" & is "cantankerous"?

:rolleyes:

successful career as a no talent loser twat:lbf:
what a spectacle:lbf:

I WAS ATTACKED!!!!:drama:
PLEASE MOVE ASIDE!!!:swear
AS IM GOING TO FAINT!!:laughing:

CALL ALY AND ORY AND JR!!! HAVE THEM MEET
ME AT THE SALOOONA!!!
no self respect this :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: , a molecular shanda🦨

:hammer:

:)
" i wouldnt want to do the X factor"
the LePep has gone insane, the X factor?? you cant sing like a :frogface:
and be on the X factor:lbf:
the animal kingdom channel maybe:lbf:

what the F is wrong with LePepe Pew?? is he getting old folks crazy??
with the wig and painted eyebrows?
"i forged my singing style in public not the x factor?" no :poop:?
you'forged you singing style in public"?? well where in f would you have inside a cement pond???:crazy:

so he cant sing because thats how Lou Reed sang like a :frogface:??
i beg to differ LePepe, Lou Reed didnt pronounce 'having' like
'oven' while singing like a frog:crazy:

a waste of oxygen this twat LePep:hammer:

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom