Johnny Marr: 'Inspiring people to go vegetarian is one of my proudest moments'

But I think he's not vegetarian anymore.
I guess it's beautiful and wonderful, however I wouldn't drop my steaks for anything not for Morrissey....

I'm pretty sure Johnny's been a vegan for the last 20 years. Mike is still veggie. Don't think Andy ever was...

No idea about Boz, Gary, Spencer etc...

Dave

Johnny's a vegan, in'he? Andy isn't and never was and I know because Marc Riley said on his 6Music show a while ago that when The Smiths played Glasto, Andy was stood in the queue with Riley waiting for a burger.

Boz? Don't think he's a veggie through choice, although, on the tour obviously he has to eat only veggie. There's a story of Boz buying a burger, taking it back to his hotel room, Morrissey knocking on the door, Boz panicking and hiding it under the bed, Morrissey coming in and sitting and chatting for a long time.

Can't confirm if that story is true though.

Johnny is epic (regardless of The Cribs), and he's always pleasant and considerate in interviews. That kind of musician seems hard to come by.

Morrissey and Marr are two peas in a pod, however, I've been veggie for a long time and it wasn't Johnny, nor Meat is Murder and nor Morrissey's Smiths' days that turned me veggie, because I was too young.
It was Morrissey as a solo artist, but I respect Johnny and I have done so for a long time.

Last edited:
Johnny is definitely vegan, or at least has claimed to be in very recent interviews.

I'm pretty sure Johnny's been a vegan for the last 20 years. Mike is still veggie. Don't think Andy ever was...

Dave

I'd be interested to know when Johnny became vegan as opposed to vegetarian, I'm pretty sure it happened after the Smiths split but I don't know exactly when. The vegetarianism wasn't instant, though - I can remember reading that he ate tuna until at least 1985 - so I imagine the progression to a vegan diet was fairly gradual as well.

Dave
No, Andy isn't veggie anymore...
And the Morrissey's lads aren't vegetarian (by the way, there's an interesting story about Morrissey's gigs at Brazil which the band would've gone out to steakhouse without Morrissey know. I've asked Boz about it and he's denied..but...)

No, Andy isn't veggie anymore...
And the Morrissey's lads aren't vegetarian (by the way, there's an interesting story about Morrissey's gigs at Brazil which the band would've gone out to steakhouse without Morrissey know. I've asked Boz about it and he's denied..but...)

I think any band members caught doing that would have been very quickly sacked, so they probably didn't want to risk it.

Boz? Don't think he's a veggie through choice, although, on the tour obviously he has to eat only veggie. There's a story of Boz buying a burger, taking it back to his hotel room, Morrissey knocking on the door, Boz panicking and hiding it under the bed, Morrissey coming in and sitting and chatting for a long time.

:rofl:

Imagining that is pretty funny. Even funnier if Mr Boorer hid it under the blanket and Morrissey sat on it without knowing, and the poor hungry lad would try to concentrate on the conversation, comforted in some way that his boss's arse would keep the burger warm...:tears:

:lbf: Seal of approval on that scene/ Aaaaaaaand CUT

Imagining that is pretty funny. Even funnier if Mr Boorer hid it under the blanket and Morrissey sat on it without knowing, and the poor hungry lad would try to concentrate on the conversation, comforted in some way that his boss's arse would keep the burger warm...:tears:

I just wonder if Morrissey sat down and started talking all deep and philosophical about something or telling him an important drawn-out detail about the tour while Boz is all smiling and nodding going "Uh-huh. Uh-huh." all the while thinking "HURRY THE FOOK UP! MY FRIES ARE GETTING COLD!!!!!" :rofl:

I just wonder if Morrissey sat down and started talking all deep and philosophical about something or telling him an important drawn-out detail about the tour while Boz is all smiling and nodding going "Uh-huh. Uh-huh." all the while thinking "HURRY THE FOOK UP! MY FRIES ARE GETTING COLD!!!!!" :rofl:

^^^ that's mighty funny.

Johnny was on some crappy breakfast TV show with The Cribs a few months back - one of those crap cookery shows - and the presenter mentioned that he's still vegan - Johnny confirmed this with a nod. Good man!!!!:thumb:

I remember reading an interview a few years ago with Andy Rourke, where he said that he DID sneak out with the road crew to go for steaks / meat during The Smiths later tours.

But that was The Smiths, nowadays I'm pretty sure Morrissey's band at least (and maybe even the crew aswell) wouldn't risk it.

I remember reading an interview a few years ago with Andy Rourke, where he said that he DID sneak out with the road crew to go for steaks / meat during The Smiths later tours.

But that was The Smiths, nowadays I'm pretty sure Morrissey's band at least (and maybe even the crew aswell) wouldn't risk it.

Yeah, Andy Rourke thought the vegetarian thing was shite and always used to find a way to sneak out and buy a burger...probably hurrying to The Great Escape theme tune and hurry back over the barbed wire and back to his room through a large tunnel he dug from a toothbrush!

Imagine having to watch what you eat 24/7 for fear of being fired or at least scolded or maybe just despised.:crazy: I don't know how they cope.

I imagine when they go home Jessy shoots and grills a couple of cows back in Texas, Mr Boorer finishes all the bacalhau in Portugal even though he doesn't like it, just because he's suffered too much ...:tears:

Whereas I'm sure if they'd toured with Johnny they'd be really vegan by now. Can't imagine Johnny telling people off because they don't do as he pleases...:confused:

Johnny is a druggie vegan

Marr and Rourke did take drugs...except Rourke went a step further!

Back
Top Bottom