Johnny Marr influenced by Aztec Camera?

the judge

I don't know whether I should post this here or in Other Music.

Anyway, I was listening to High Land, Hard Rain by Aztec Camera and I found Roddy's guitar playing to be similar to some of the0 things Johnny did with The Smiths. Think of Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now or William, It Was Really Nothing etc.
Does it make sense?
Did he ever say something about it?

Another point, Craig Gannon played with Aztec Camera a couple of years and I suppose if he joined The Smiths Marr liked what he did in other bands.

I don't know whether I should post this here or in Other Music.

Anyway, I was listening to High Land, Hard Rain by Aztec Camera and I found Roddy's guitar playing to be similar to some of the0 things Johnny did with The Smiths. Think of Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now or William, It Was Really Nothing etc.

Yes,i agree they do have similar styles especially on acoustic guitar

Oh, yes acoustic guitar.
Do you like them?
I downloaded that album yesterday and I can't stop listening to it. I looked to tabs but there's nothing. I'll have to figure out the chords by myself.

As a huge fan of Aztec Camera and The Smiths, I don't think Johnny was influenced by Roddy.

Roddy is three months younger than Johnny, possibly they have similar musical influence.

As a huge fan of Aztec Camera and The Smiths, I don't think Johnny was influenced by Roddy.

Roddy is three months younger than Johnny, possibly they have similar musical influence.

But High Land, Hard Rain was released in 1983, Johnny probably heard some songs.
I know sometimes happens that people not influenced by each other make similar things. Newton and Leibniz both invented...

This is something that a lot of people don't appreciate about the time of the Smiths if they weren't there. The Smiths weren't that differently musically from many of the bands at the time. The thing that set them apart and got them noticed was Morrissey's unusual lyrics and the fact that they were prepared to do things like TOTPs. A lot of similar bands at the time thought that was beneath them.

But High Land, Hard Rain was released in 1983, Johnny probably heard some songs.
I know sometimes happens that people not influenced by each other make similar things. Newton and Leibniz both invented...

Yes, Aztec Camera released High Land, Hard Rain in 1983, possibly Johnny heard some songs at that time, but naive to presume Johnny was influenced by Roddy.
It's rather superficial observation.
I read many lazy reviews in mid 80s comparing Aztec Camera and The Smiths.

They were into making their own new music, didn't care what others were doing.

I don't know about influences, but Johnny had great admiration for Aztec Camera. He said something to the effect that they were the only Smiths-contemporary that he had any real admiration for and that they had the same ethic.

High Land Hard Rain is a great album. Unfortunately the albums that followed it didn't quite match it, although you can always count on Roddy to put 3 or 4 brilliant songs on each album, even to this day.

Haircut 100 ? :D

This is something that a lot of people don't appreciate about the time of the Smiths if they weren't there. The Smiths weren't that differently musically from many of the bands at the time. The thing that set them apart and got them noticed was Morrissey's unusual lyrics and the fact that they were prepared to do things like TOTPs. A lot of similar bands at the time thought that was beneath them.
I see. The more I listen to The Smiths the more I think that what made them special was Morrissey. Johnny has written awesome tunes, but I can't claim he's the best, simply because there are other brilliant guitarists/songwriters and in my mind they're are all up there in a sort of Olympus, whereas I found nothing like Morrissey, lyrically, so far.

I don't know about influences, but Johnny had great admiration for Aztec Camera. He said something to the effect that they were the only Smiths-contemporary that he had any real admiration for and that they had the same ethic.
That's the kind of reply I hoped to receive. :) I'm glad he likes/liked them.

didn't the Smiths play support for Aztec Camera in a few shows in 1983?

[i vaguelue remember a connection about a gig, but their are well
documented people in this thread, so they would've mention that already]:confused:

Back
Top Bottom