Johnny Marr in Total Guitar

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
Hey, that rhymes.

Well, you wait ages for a magazine cover and two come along at once. Just out buying some sparkling beverages, and out of the corner of my eye I spot Johnny Marr on the cover of Total Guitar, more at this link; but it gets better.

As well as the cover, there's a 6 page article/interview with many pics.

Then...there's a 4-page tutorial on how to play Johnny Marr riffs, with detailed tabs and such.

Then...there's a CD/DVD in ther with instruction videos on how to play 5 of Johnny's best riffs, including...

The Smiths - This Charming Man
Electronic - Getting Away With It
Modest Mouse - Dashboard
The Cribs - Cheat On Me
The The - Gravitate To Me

For someone who thinks Johnny is a God - like me - this is manna from heaven.

P.

Last edited:
Just picked out an interesting bit here...

"The Headmaster Ritual is interesting. It's in open D with a capo on the 2nd fret, and it's a combination of two riffs: one from before I joined the band and another bolted on when I got this burst of inspiration a year later."

So, who's got a Freak Party or Paris Valentinos tape knocking about?

P.

this is like christmas for me. I remember total guitar done a piece on him about 5/6 years ago when the healers were on the go. it used to be a great magazine but I havent bought it since the weller/noel gallagher cover. its far to intersted in metal and thrash players that play at 100mph but lack any sort of tune or melody. finally he's getting recognised as the god he is.

I have zero interest in guitars, but I'd rather read Marr talking about almost anything than have to sit through Morrissey's embarrassing ramblings at the moment. Sad times.

Hey, that rhymes.

Well, you wait ages for a magazine cover and two come along at once. Just out buying some sparkling beverages, and out of the corner of my eye I spot Johnny Marr on the cover of Total Guitar, more at this link; but it gets better.

As well as the cover, there's a 6 page article/interview with many pics.

Then...there's a 4-page tutorial on how to play Johnny Marr riffs, with detailed tabs and such.

Then...there's a CD/DVD in ther with instruction videos on how to play 5 of Johnny's best riffs, including...

The Smiths - This Charming Man
Electronic - Getting Away With It
Modest Mouse - Dashboard
The Cribs - Cheat On Me
The The - Gravitate To Me

For someone who thinks Johnny is a God - like me - this is manna from heaven.

P.

Thanks for the tip on this one Uncle Skinny!

It's great to see an article on Johnny in a guitar mag again. The article itself is great. The playing style tabs are good, but since you can now find an awful lot of good-quality Johnny tabs on the Internet, they seem a little bit pointless (especially when they have 5 great riffs to learn on the CD)

I bought this today. I know nothing about playing guitar so the magazine may as well be written in Dutch for all I understand it.

From the interview it looks like Johnny has been working with Fender to create a signature Jaguar guitar :cool:

There is a CD / DVD included with it that has some tutorials to recreate the Marr sound and to re-create the opening riff of This Charming Man - how on earth someone could learn to do that is beyond me... let alone come up with it in the first place - the guy is a genius.

I've tried to copy the clips - but there's some good anti piracy software in there...

Dave

Tags
johnny_marr
Back
Top Bottom