Johnny Marr, 'Hi Hello' - the worst lyrics and song title in musical history?

I remember those toddler years, they are so precious! This particular song was one of Johnny's personal ones that he said he doesn't usually like to write, but life's too short to let these kinds of feelings remain unexpressed in song. Yes, I do believe the song expresses an admiration for his daughter in finding her own way and the connection and support that will always be there for her. I think it's lovely both musically and lyrically.

The title just made me think “oh, hi hello” as if he accident bumped into a person he hadn’t noticed. It’s to bad about not wanting to write personal songs. They can bring out the best sometimes

The only thing you obviously know more about than me, is how to be a boring, insufferable c***...

SlimScrawnyDugong-max-1mb.gif

Actually it doesn't. It's a great melody, though highly derivative of There is a light........it's about as close to a classic Smiths melody as you can get.

So it is a good song because it is a rip-off of another song he already wrote and reminds you of a style he hasn't been able to achieve for 30 years...

Has grown on me, i just wish it was sung with a more expressive voice. The lyrics are vague but not terrible (though I wince a little at that “tommorows child” line) and the backstory is sweet but the song never truly ‘pops’ for me, unlike its cousin ‘There Is A Light That Never Goes Out’ whose chorus is anthemic

Last edited:
I found it a pleasant enough listen - though it sags in the middle and never quite recovers.

The problem with the lyrics is generally solved by leaving the vocal so low in the mix you have no idea what he is saying. Day In Day Out echoes Bigmouth and Girl Afraid while somehow managing not to be very good. New Dominions stuck out as a real clunker and there are occasional embarrassing moments when he's trying to display a bit of "attitude". (I hated the refrain of Bug; one of the songs reminded me of Big Country.)

The production sounded a little mushy and imprecise for my ears at times and at the end it felt a little like having listened to one long song. Still, I've only heard it once and the music is often impressive and enjoyable. It's an undemanding listen certainly and doesn't really move you or say anything; I think I'll probably have it on in the background from time to time.

I definitely agree about New Dominions

[video]

Yes - those lyrics are really bland.

But is it any less mindless than crap like this?:

"No bus, no boss, no rain, no train
No bus, no boss, no rain, no train
No emasculation, no castration
No highway, freeway, motorway

No bus, no boss, no rain, no train"

I think that lyric a nice summation of the songs meaning and poignant. Who doesnot want to say goodbye to these things. Most people despise there jobs and the commutes that regulate there lives. It’s a chant to end the song on so it is meant to be direct and repetitive unlike the verse or even the chorus

A lovely piece of music but sadly ruined by an idiotic song title and what experts agree are among the worst lyrics of all time.
Just check these out:

"When are you coming up
Get away now and go to bed
I'm gonna pick you up
Hear what you say and you're going so fast

And I see you coming down that line
See the future for tomorrow's child
And I watch you when you're losing your mind
And you can't let go

All the places, all the steps
You clamber up the beaten track
When you've fallen and you keep on climbing
You never look back

So hi hello
Whatever you need and wherever you go
I can't say no
One heart beat, any place we run

And I see you coming down that line
See the future for tomorrow's child
And I'll find you when the lights are blinding
And you can't get home

It's never soon enough
And forever's gonna come too fast
Time is calling us
Gets in the way and unfolds the past"

Empty bland meaningless cliche follows empty bland meaningless cliche.
Such a shameful waste of wonderful music.

It’s about one of his kids. Makes sense when you understand that. This song is better than anything Moz has put out in years.

In an interview Johnny has said the song was about his daughter. I think a beautiful lyric about unconditional love and how hard it is to let go of your children when they are adults. Being the parent of a teenager, the words brought me to tears when I first heard them.

What a lucky girl she is, having a beautiful song about her that will always remind her of her dad. Reminds me of a story that Sean Lennon told of having a bad day and then hearing John Lennon's "Beautiful Boy" on the radio and how much comfort that brought him.

It is far from being Beautiful Boy. I am sick of dire lyricists and funnily enough have just listened to the studio version of The Draize Train and what a pile of shit that is. Give me Work is a Four-Letter Word anyday anyway anyday.

Back
Top Bottom