Johnny Marr hairstyle

Women don't usually use shoe polish to dye their hair, though.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-3570-1385065134-51.gif

It is interesting how a woman dying her hair is perfectly acceptable, but a man does it and oh my!

I've often thought this applies in reverse, actually - it's seen as acceptable (and desirable) for men to go grey, but when a woman does it...
and perhaps due to this, we're used to seeing women dye their hair all their lives and it's pretty rare to see a man who dyes. Anyway, I wasn't intending to criticize Johnny, but most men (Moz included) do look very handsome letting nature take it's course.

I've often thought this applies in reverse, actually - it's seen as acceptable (and desirable) for men to go grey, but when a woman does it...
and perhaps due to this, we're used to seeing women dye their hair all their lives and it's pretty rare to see a man who dyes. Anyway, I wasn't intending to criticize Johnny, but most men (Moz included) do look very handsome letting nature take it's course.

Yeah, it definitely raises eyebrows when a woman chooses to go grey, especially when she goes grey young. A surprising amount of men dye their hair though, I work one day a week in a hairdressers and they have a few fellas in to hide their grey. It's not easy to tell with most but as Johnny still insists on having black hair despite getting on it's really noticable. I guess people just pass judgement when something grabs their eyes because it's opposed to the norm.

Yeah, it definitely raises eyebrows when a woman chooses to go grey, especially when she goes grey young.
Not so much these days. It's all the rage round our way for teenage girls to dye their hair so it is silver granny grey colour. I don't understand it myself, but I'm an old fart, so what do I know?

Not so much these days. It's all the rage round our way for teenage girls to dye their hair so it is silver granny grey colour. I don't understand it myself, but I'm an old fart, so what do I know?

Same thing going on in my town. All the old women look twenty years younger and the young women look 50 years older. o_O

Yeah, it definitely raises eyebrows when a woman chooses to go grey, especially when she goes grey young. A surprising amount of men dye their hair though, I work one day a week in a hairdressers and they have a few fellas in to hide their grey. It's not easy to tell with most but as Johnny still insists on having black hair despite getting on it's really noticable. I guess people just pass judgement when something grabs their eyes because it's opposed to the norm.

I just got my hair cut today, and it was like someone shook all the tinsel off the Christmas tree. Amy is right about a double standard. But I think that holds true for all things superficial. Look what Meg Ryan did to her face with plastic surgery and you need not explore this further. Clint Eastwood can look like a weathered canvas and he is classically handsome and a woman gets a wrinkle and off for Botox. To be honest though I think women are sometimes their own biggest critics. From a young age girls compare themselves against one another whereas most guys could give a damn. For me it is more the style than color that makes it attractive.

Last edited:
I just got my hair cut today, and it was like someone shook all the tinsel off the Christmas tree. Amy is right about a double standard. But I think that holds true for all things superficial. Look what Meg Ryan did to her face with plastic surgery and you need not explore this further. Clint Eastwood can look like a weathered canvas and he is classically handsome and woman gets a wrinkle and off for Botox. To be honest though I think women are sometimes their own biggest critics. From a young age girls compare themselves against one another whereas most guys could give a damn. For me it is more the style than color that makes it attractive.
I don’t know anyone who looks better after a plastic surgery. Mickey Rourke would agree, I think. As for hair colouring, there is no reason why you have to accept graying as long as it looks natural. Johnny’s hair doesn’t look natural. It resembles a motorcycle helmet.

I don’t know anyone who looks better after a plastic surgery. Mickey Rourke would agree, I think. As for hair colouring, there is no reason why you have to accept graying as long as it looks natural. Johnny’s hair doesn’t look natural. It resembles a motorcycle helmet.

True, but I still prefer my rock stars to try and maintain at least a breath of youth in their appearance. Neil Young excluded. I think Johnny has the right idea but just suffers from poor execution. Maybe Charlie Cheswick could sort this whole thing out in his shop.

True, but I still prefer my rock stars to try and maintain at least a breath of youth in their appearance. Neil Young excluded. I think Johnny has the right idea but just suffers from poor execution. Maybe Charlie Cheswick could sort this whole thing out in his shop.
Hmm, I'm not sure. When your hair doesn't match your skin tone by such a wide margin as Johnny's, I think it can only get worse. You only need to look at Paul McCartney to see what lies in store for him. There comes a point when nothing, on men particularly, looks natural apart from what nature intended. Even Tom Jones finally worked that one out.

I do find it curious that Johnny is hanging on so tightly to his black hair (pretty sure it's blacker now than it ever was in the first place). It makes all that stuff about authenticity and not pandering to the rock cliches seem a bit of a contradiction. Or maybe he's just more vain/insecure/ordinary than I would have ever given him credit for.

Apropos of nothing, I do also find it interesting that your natural colour pigment generally fades at the same time as your skin's youthfulness. I guess nature generally knows what she's doing.

I just got my hair cut today, and it was like someone shook all the tinsel off the Christmas tree. Amy is right about a double standard. But I think that holds true for all things superficial. Look what Meg Ryan did to her face with plastic surgery and you need not explore this further. Clint Eastwood can look like a weathered canvas and he is classically handsome and a woman gets a wrinkle and off for Botox. To be honest though I think women are sometimes their own biggest critics. From a young age girls compare themselves against one another whereas most guys could give a damn. For me it is more the style than color that makes it attractive.

You're right, it's insanely rare that I see any woman in the hairdressers that is happy with her lot. It always makes me laugh when they sit there complaining about an imaginary fault with themselves. They do botox and all of that stuff upstairs there but the boss (she's the one who does all of that) is pretty damn good at it so you'd have to look hard to see what her customers have had done. So many older women look identical to each other now with all the stuff they have done though with the big lips, puffed up cheeks and stiff forehead. Women need to learn to like themselves more.

Johnny's natural hair is light/medium brown but the black looked great way back when, with the eyeliner and clothes.

I think part of the "Paul McCartney effect" is that as more and more of the hair turns grey, the dye tends to look far brighter because it has a blank canvas. It's not quite the same as putting a black dye on top of brown hair. Paul looks better grey.
1f2bbf0dfd9c3c3724ae44d61e45f5af--grey-hair-the-grey.jpg

You're right, it's insanely rare that I see any woman in the hairdressers that is happy with her lot. It always makes me laugh when they sit there complaining about an imaginary fault with themselves. They do botox and all of that stuff upstairs there but the boss (she's the one who does all of that) is pretty damn good at it so you'd have to look hard to see what her customers have had done. So many older women look identical to each other now with all the stuff they have done though with the big lips, puffed up cheeks and stiff forehead. Women need to learn to like themselves more.

Not sure over there, but many hair salons here choose to use turns on the "dye" theme in their names. Curl Up and Dye as just one example of this. Possibly they could play some of these songs whilst plying their trade:

1. I just dyed in your arms tonight
2. Live and let dye
3. I'm going to live until I dye
4. Never say dye

You get the picture.

Hmm, I'm not sure. When your hair doesn't match your skin tone by such a wide margin as Johnny's, I think it can only get worse. You only need to look at Paul McCartney to see what lies in store for him. There comes a point when nothing, on men particularly, looks natural apart from what nature intended. Even Tom Jones finally worked that one out.

I do find it curious that Johnny is hanging on so tightly to his black hair (pretty sure it's blacker now than it ever was in the first place). It makes all that stuff about authenticity and not pandering to the rock cliches seem a bit of a contradiction. Or maybe he's just more vain/insecure/ordinary than I would have ever given him credit for.

Apropos of nothing, I do also find it interesting that your natural colour pigment generally fades at the same time as your skin's youthfulness. I guess nature generally knows what she's doing.

Yes Peppy, all of this is true, but still there is a certain loss of vitality that comes with age and graying hair. I would point to Richard Gere and Kevin Kline as examples of this. Gray hair is more the realm of comedians (see Steve Martin) rather than leading men. Just an observation.

Apropos of even less, the guy who cut my hair guessed my age and was 8 years off to the better. Given my life style that is nothing short of a miracle! :innocent:

Yes Peppy, all of this is true, but still there is a certain loss of vitality that comes with age and graying hair. I would point to Richard Gere and Kevin Kline as examples of this. Gray hair is more the realm of comedians (see Steve Martin) rather than leading men. Just an observation.

Apropos of even less, the guy who cut my hair guessed my age and was 8 years off to the better. Given my life style that is nothing short of a miracle! :innocent:
Ah, but EN, surely any perceived loss of vitality is nothing when compared with the embarrassing public spectacle of your hair not matching your face? Glad to hear you've got youthful follicles, though :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom