Johnny Marr gig report at the Night & Day Cafe (Sep. 29); set list included 5 Smiths songs

See the forum thread for more reports, videos and images.

Report posted by Dave2006:

Top night last night - Johnny is one cool, cool bloke. Well, last night he was sweating buckets because it was so hot in there.

At one stage he stood in front of the monitors playing to the crowd, people were patting him on the head and ruffling his hair, one guy in the front row was obviously saying something to Johnny and it looked like Johnny kissed the top of his head - it was a surreal, beautiful moment.

A mate lifted the set list from the guitarist at the end and gave it to me -

img00765-20110930-0859.jpg

There is a Light was lined up as a potential final encore (there is a question mark at the end of the title, but it's not too clear on the photo) but after 'It's My Life' (was this a cover - it sounded vaguely familiar?) he left the stage not to return. The roadie shouted at the DJ 'plug your ipod in, quick!'

As the clip above shows, How Soon is Now was fantastic - watching the guitarist use the slide made me wish that Morrissey had guitarists with half as much talent these days...

Looking forward to Deaf Institute next week.​

Videos posted by MrShankly93 in the thread:

Related item:​

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Johnny Marr gig report at the Night & Day Cafe (Sep. 29); set list inclu

I read everything above. Yes, Moz has a unique voice. Yes, he was the "image" of the Smiths. But...he didn't play and sing at the same time. Moz would, in fact, be nowhere without Marr. I think Johnny did a very very very admirable job on vocals. Seeing this .... I really would have made the trip from Montreal to Manchester to see this. I met Johnny and Bernie during promo interviews (in Toronto for Electronic) and what struck me was how freakin uncomplicated and nice he was. as was Bernie. I'm not going to blast Morrissey's current band and get David into trouble. I'm happy for Marr.

It works the same both ways, yes Morrissey wouldn't have been anywhere without Marr, but Marr wouldn't have been anywhere without Morrissey!!!

I was there, really enjoyed the variety in the band's music. They were super-tight, the drummer was an absolute madman (loved him) and there were no problems with the other 3. The song that began with a keyboard and featured synthetic drum pads, was a real surprise... sounded great. If there is an album, I'll take it.

Re: Article: Johnny Marr gig report at the Night & Day Cafe (Sep. 29); set list inclu

Well, that's very interesting since you were the same poster who slagged Johnny off in the first response to this thread. You must really hate him. And you'd be in the minority here.

Because Johny is my GOD.

P.
Mine too. It's too bad I live so far away. My family who loves The Smiths saw this this morning too, and they said they would want to go see him.

i am not having a go, but really? i think it's a little psychosomatic... people miss johnny because he is an original smith, but honestly, i think it is just wishful hearing that causes some folk to say he sounds better than the "teenage dads"... and it just seems almost wrong to hear him attempt to sing morrissey's words & emotions.. i do not blame him for wanting to give it a shot, but...

Give the guy a break, It's his first gig singing in ages, playing songs he hasn't played live for 25 years. I'll be up the front next week cheering like a mad bastard.

P.

Even though it is a low quality recording, it's clear from The Headmaster Ritual that Johnny plays the song better than Morrissey's musicians do. Would love for him to tour more regularly.

Wow! Johnny has really still got it. Headmaster Ritual is hard enough to play without doing the vocals as well (anybody who plays guitar will know that, and it's in an alternate guitar tuning as well - bastard :) !) :thumb:

Johnny Marr is as smooth as snake shit,its a pity he did'nt get round to the last song but it will only be a matter of time before we see how it should be played.
It really puts the mozzy puppet band to shame!!
Talking of the puppets I wonder what costumes he will be dressing them up in for the U S and A tour?????
May I suggest they all wear a condom!!!! Cause they're a right bunch of STIFFS HaHahHa

Nobody plays like Johnny but nobody sings like Morrissey. that being said, I would have loved to attend that gig, it sounds great.

sorry no, morrissey and marr would both of done well, i'm old enough to have witnessed the smiths, i still listen to there albums, but i listen more now, to mozz solo work, it in parts, is easily as good as the smiths, it's a fact, i don't however listen to johnny's bands, i have tried them out, but they do nothing for me, does'nt mean i don't like the guy, he is proper cool, the best i've heard him since is in the cribs, but they are a top band in there own rights, long live mozz and marr, and thankyou for the songs that made me smile.

Now we all can see and hear that Morrissey and Lad's are excellent live band. This Healers versions of The Smiths tunes are crap, CRAP! Don't say a word against Morrissey and his live performance (of The Smiths songs) with Boz and co. again, NEVER. At last, this topic is over forever, FOREVER!

Johnny Marr is as smooth as snake shit,its a pity he did'nt get round to the last song but it will only be a matter of time before we see how it should be played.
It really puts the mozzy puppet band to shame!!
Talking of the puppets I wonder what costumes he will be dressing them up in for the U S and A tour?????
May I suggest they all wear a condom!!!! Cause they're a right bunch of STIFFS HaHahHa

Now we all can see and hear that Morrissey and Lad's are excellent live band. This Healers versions of The Smiths tunes are crap, CRAP! Don't say a word against Morrissey and his live performance with Boz and co. again, NEVER. At last, this topic is over forever, FOREVER!

Now we all can see and hear that Morrissey and Lad's are excellent live band. This Healers versions of The Smiths tunes are crap, CRAP! Don't say a word against Morrissey and his live performance (of The Smiths songs) with Boz and co. again, NEVER. At last, this topic is over forever, FOREVER!

You obviously haven't paid attention to the brutality that is Jesse Tobias on guitar.

You obviously haven't paid attention to the brutality that is Jesse Tobias on guitar.

According to video clip above, Jesse Tobias is Franz Listz on guitar for sleepy and inapt dead ex indi star Marr. Period.
Topic; Lad's can't play The Smiths songs, after this sadness on videos above - IS OVER FOREVER.BECAUSE, THEY ARE 100% BETTER THAN DEAD INDI EX STAR MARR.

According to video clip above, Jesse Tobias is Franz Listz on guitar for sleepy and inapt dead ex indi star Marr. Period.
Topic; Lad's can't play The Smiths songs, after this sadness on videos above - IS OVER FOREVER.BECAUSE, THEY ARE 100% BETTER THAN DEAD INDI EX STAR MARR.

Jesse blows and you know it. Stop trying to (lamely) defend the guy.

He can't play the Smiths stuff (or early Moz songs) and his music writing is atrocious.

Your authority on the subject!! Can you enlighten us??? Please.

Did you see the Smiths live? Have you seen The Healers live? or have you ever seen Johnny Marr live in his other projects?

I'm betting your a teeny bopper from over the pond and you've seen Dorrissey and his puppets and you thought "Wow way to go man Dorrissey rocks out man"
Oh well off you go to google those gig dates of all the gigs you've been to (NOT).

The Smiths did loads a tours in America so you should have lots of memories to tell us

Post this on fricking johnnymarr-solo.com and quit wasting my precious time.

Well, that's very interesting since you were the same poster who slagged Johnny off in the first response to this thread. You must really hate him. And you'd be in the minority here.

Because Johny is my GOD.

P.

Oh my God. You're now checking the IP's of posts that criticize guitarists you like. Jesus f***ing christ.

There are no words.

holy crap! johnny and his band are incredibly tight considering they haven't played these songs much. although probably not surprising since johnny is the consummate musician (we have to forgive him the boomslang misstep). johnny and co actually sound like a band playing songs they know with skill and passion. live, the morrissey band just seem like they are going through the motions. their sound is just limp and passionless. they look like they're just there, creating a guide backing track to the star - who doesn't seem to care whats in the background. even the way they are often dressed alike makes it look like they are unimportant - and they sound unimportant. johnny is still amazing.. now if only he could write some great solo material!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom