Johnny Marr - Fever Dreams Pts 1-4 discussion/reviews

It's silly how many people think they're making some damning point of how Marr is a worse lyricist than Morrissey. Almost EVERYONE is a worse lyricist than Morrissey. That does not prevent me from enjoying non-Morrissey music. And if you think he's writing as well as he did in his 20's, you're delusional anyway.

Anyway, I believe both Morrissey AND Marr have been putting out strong solo material over the last few years. Quite enjoy Fever Dreams the few times I've heard the entirety.

:rolleyes:
i guess the wig is supposed to impress the teenager buddies of his.:menholdinghands:
not only is his vocal range non existent, he sings (talks :lbf:) like a coal miner when he never has had a job or broke a sweat in his life:straightface:

when he 'sings' "having" for example, it sounds like "oven" with a guttural underpinning.:mad:
like a negative anti matter tiny tim:lbf:

the so called "lyrics" are brutal. some of the worse in music history:blushing:

:hammer:

How is Moz’s record deal looking at the mo? 😉
It's always about Morrissey, isn't it?

Me: Johnny's work sucks
Random internet person: MorrisseyMorrisseyMorrisseyMorrisseyMorrissey

It’s about time and age and death coming for you. His lyrics are abstract, you have to think a bit. Or not, just enjoy the melodies.
Oh yes, now I get it, it's like Dylan Thomas' Do not go gentle into that good night, just abstract :lbf:
Sylvia Plath, Dylan Thomas; Marr is all kinds of artsy and deep:lbf:

Last edited:
Well I don't trust any rating anymore since 2008, when all the UK press gave a 4 out of 5 note to a big turd like 4:15 Dream by The Cure in 2008. So, for Johnny's new album I'll be waiting a bit. In the past, professionnal reviewers listened to at least 10 times a record before writing a review. These days, they gave a note after listening only once: oh yeah, it's well produced, the sound is clean, there are choruses, the act is famous, the promo is important, one can't fire a record, otherwise the industry would be dead, people don't buy records anymore, oh well, let's give a 4 out of 5 then, everyone will be happy then

Well I don't trust any rating anymore since 2008, when all the UK press gave a 4 out of 5 note to a big turd like 4:15 Dream by The Cure in 2008. So, for Johnny's new album I'll be waiting a bit. In the past, professionnal reviewers listened to at least 10 times a record before writing a review. These days, they gave a note after listening only once: oh yeah, it's well produced, the sound is clean, there are choruses, the act is famous, the promo is important, one can't fire a record, otherwise the industry would be dead, people don't buy records anymore, oh well, let's give a 4 out of 5 then, everyone will be happy then
I think reviews are written before they listen. They are no longer about the quality of the songs, it is more about how much we are going to promote the act.

Oh yes, now I get it, it's like Dylan Thomas' Do not go gentle into that goof night, just abstract :lbf:
Sylvia Plath, Dylan Thomas; Marr is all kinds of artsy and deep:lbf:

I wish Marr was ‘artsy and deep’. He wrote his best music when collaborating with a special someone that can be labeled ‘artsy and deep’.

I feel Johnny still has it in him to do so, but he can not unlock it by himself.

And obviously now Morrissey is out of the picture, except of course when Marr uses his name as promotion in interviews. Lol.

I bought the album and have listened to it a few times. I think it is pretty good, similar to his previous albums. So far my favorite song on the album is God's Gift, which is very catchy. There is one part in the song where he sings "The more I see," which at first sounded to me like he was saying "Morrissey."

I bought the album and have listened to it a few times. I think it is pretty good, similar to his previous albums. So far my favorite song on the album is God's Gift, which is very catchy. There is one part in the song where he sings "The more I see," which at first sounded to me like he was saying "Morrissey."
Just think Morrissey = God’s gift :) and enjoy it.

Went ahead and gave this thing a listen.
Ya can tell Johnny put a lotta work into it.
Problem is, most the songs start out kinda
interestin' and then just turn into nothin'.
Kept thinkin' I was gonna like one of the
songs, but then after about 30 secs. or so,
the song just gets borin'.
It just weren't for Wild T.

I wish Marr was ‘artsy and deep’. He wrote his best music when collaborating with a special someone that can be labeled ‘artsy and deep’.

I feel Johnny still has it in him to do so, but he can not unlock it by himself.

And obviously now Morrissey is out of the picture, except of course when Marr uses his name as promotion in interviews. Lol.
He may still have the musical talent in him, and I would agree if he did, he needs Morrissey to access it.
I think he is always trying to be something he is not tho, he wants to be seen as some sort of artsy bohemian. Like when he talked about his home being a central location for artists to gather, it sounded very bohemian, but I doubt it's true.
Where he is really out of his depth is when he starts trying to discuss literature or anything intellectual. There is a clip of him from long ago where he is trying to discuss Oscar Wilde (gee, wonder why) and he just gets it all wrong and looks quite foolish.

I'm enjoying the album more now I've heard it a couple of times, but I definately think Johnny is leaning into his Electronic side, rather than anything 'Smiths-y' - the general vibe I'm getting is very similar to the 'Twisted Tenderness' album. Which is fine, though personally I could do with a few more guitar riffs next time.

Oh how can anyone surpass these words:

Spent the day in bed
Very happy I did, yes
I spent the day in bed
As the workers stay enslaved
I spent the day in bed
I'm not my type, but
I love my bed
Oh, that not fair, he did the groundbreaking "You're the one for me fatty "

The anon bringing up Morrissey is unnecessary and off topic.

Anyway, even the great Dylan has written stinkers. I mean, these are the lyrics that Marr’s writing now, you really think there’s gonna be an improvement in 7-10 years time?

Let’s see what his lyrics are like after he’s been writing for years and years, if we’re going to compare him to other artists that have been writing for many years.
You are *SO* right,
what did it say on M's last lp> oh, yes he hugged a pillow and there was another one about elephants and tigers- which lots of people slated on here.
Not to mention the one where they try and sound like Johnny (just like Alian admitted he aimed for ) What kind of people live in these houses, where he rhymed houses with blouses - yikes

I actually liked it , the point is M, hasn't been a great lyric writer for years.
It's not his priority anymore. He likes signing
By that token, Johnny is prob aiming for soundscapes

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom