Johnny Marr - Fever Dreams Pts 1-4 discussion/reviews

You didn't like the spoken word song? It's about a guy on the verge of ending it all and then that beautiful music comes in at the end. You don't know if he's done it and gone to heaven or he's fallen into a dream. I think it's amazing. That music doesn't move you?
Is it? Maybe that’s one of my issues, I’ve just read the lyrics and i can’t work out what it’s about.

i know songs can have different meanings to people but:

Volition, invention
(It's all coming, it don't stop coming to you)
Break into creation
Volition, predication
(All coming, it don't stop coming to you)
Make it through creation

Cross over
You already have and you already know
(All coming, it don't stop coming to you
All coming, it don't stop coming to you)
Cross over

eh?

What utter rubbish inside that review.

“broad, forthright lyrics, which aim for the kind of “there is a light” thinking”

Really?
It really is quite sad for Johnny that they have to compare is lyrics to Morrissey to give them some cred when the truth is as lyricists they could not be further apart. Johnny's lyrics are complete and total gibberish while Morrisseys are deep and meaningful and actually do say something worth hearing.

Is it? Maybe that’s one of my issues, I’ve just read the lyrics and i can’t work out what it’s about.

Volition, invention
Break into creation
Volition, predication
Make it through creation

Cross over
Cross over

eh?
Oh no, it's not you. My husband and I are trying to give this an honest chance so we listened to some songs and pulled up the lyrics and they are just really bad and don't seem to have any meaning. We were trying to think of worst lyricists and we can't think of any.

Volition, invention
Break into creation
Volition, predication
Make it through creation

Cross over
Cross over

eh?
It’s about time and age and death coming for you. His lyrics are abstract, you have to think a bit. Or not, just enjoy the melodies.

Volition, invention
Break into creation
Volition, predication
Make it through creation

Cross over
Cross over

eh?
CROSS OVER:swear
wait never mind you already have and you already know that you have crossed over
since i just said so right after i said the opposite:blushing:

VOLITION!:drama:
PREDICATION!😑
the subject is moving into the object capice??🍄

another LePepe Katastrofa:lbf:
its not about death and age, since LePep is devolving in age,:)

:hammer:

It really is quite sad for Johnny that they have to compare is lyrics to Morrissey to give them some cred when the truth is as lyricists they could not be further apart. Johnny's lyrics are complete and total gibberish while Morrisseys are deep and meaningful and actually do say something worth hearing.
How is Moz’s record deal looking at the mo? 😉

It's scoring far higher on Metacritic than his previous solo albums.

You didn't like the spoken word song?

Is even the title not memorable ?

It’s about time and age and death coming for you. His lyrics are abstract, you have to think a bit. Or not, just enjoy the melodies.

Is that what a reviewer or Marr said the song was about?

When you wanna go home
And you need to turn back

Home? What home? Guess he’s gonna leave that up to us to decide.
Home as one’s house, Apartment, flat? Or home as back to one’s past/beginnings, one’s roots? Or back to the womb? Or a state of pre-being? let’s pretend one exists or can be experienced somehow? wacky, yes.

Turn it all around
Turn everything around

A sense there’s something wrong, one needs to correct something gone wrong, or needs to see something from a different angle to understand a situation better?

Just understand
Like a child

I guess we have to just imagine how a child would understand this mysterious situation?

Understand with a mind that is prelinguistic? Because language gets in the way of truly understanding this situation?

All the pictures in your mind
Don't explain

No language, just images, the child’s mind? They don’t explain? If there’s no development of language, then of course it’s going to be hard to explain these pictures to one’s self or to others through words.

Don't let the good slip away
Don't let the good slip away

The mysterious good, what is this good? good to who? And why is there a threat that it could slip away?

And is this the way?
And is it the way?

What way? You tell us Johnny. We need to know what this way is, before we can decide if that is the correct way to go.

It's all coming, it don't stop coming to you

There’s nothing to tell us what’s coming. And It doesn’t stop, I guess
whatever that is coming it can’t be good? Or maybe the person in the song doesn’t want it to stop coming?
And it’s all coming, so there must be a lot of it, whatever it is.

Volition,

: the power of choosing or determining : WILL
2: an act of making a choice or decisionalso : a choice or decision made

invention

So is volition and invention coming to this person? Is the person choosing to be creative? Or is the act
of being creative being forced on this person?

Break into creation

There was something in the way, the person had to break through in order to be creative? And what does Johnny mean by creation?
Humans create both good and bad, supposedly some supreme being created us and everything we can know and could never know, women can create other humans. Or is it something else Johnny?

Volition, predication

an act of proclaiming or preaching.

Make it through creation

The person is going through creation? Through the womb?
Or going through the act of creating? It seems this passage or act of creation is something difficult to bear, not pleasurable?

Cross over

The person crossed over? Through creation, into creation the person broke in and then crossed over? Of their own volition they crossed over, to what? Well if they break into creation, ‘life’ then the opposite could be destruction or death? maybe.

But breaking into creation because that is their choice to do so, then there’s a cross over? Does this have to do with gender identity? a cross over a transformation?

The person has already crossed over, and they already know? Know what? Know that they have crossed over? That they arrived somewhere other than the previous turmoil passage of creation?

Cross over

Then even after breaking through, and even after arriving crossing over, IT whatever this it is, is still
all coming, and it don’t stop coming
for this person.

So she/he doesn’t come to a place
even after knowing they have arrived? It continues even after they
have arrived?

Conclusion .....

It seems like Johnny is laying the burden of injecting meaning into his songs on the listener, rather than taking up that responsibility and work himself.

Last edited:
It seems like Johnny is laying the burden of injecting meaning into his songs on the listener, rather than taking up that responsibility and work himself.

I think that's what the best artists do. Express themselves and then have the viewer/listener react to the art. A lot of art is not prescriptive, it can have different meanings to different people. You think that Morrissey demands one interpretation of his lyrics: his own?

On first listen, I haven't ejoyed it as much as any of Johnny's previous records. There seems a distinct lack of geat guitar riffs, and very little that I found musically interesting. That said, it was only my first pass over the record, so I'm hoping it's a grower not a shower.

I think that's what the best artists do.
Then Marr must not be one of those.
Express themselves and then have the viewer/listener react to the art. A lot of art is not prescriptive, it can have different meanings to different people. You think that Morrissey demands one interpretation of his lyrics: his own?

Where did Johnny ‘express’ himself ? Is that the alibi you’re giving Johnny because he doesn’t know how to really express himself?

Art touches. Johnny’s ‘expression’ does not touch. It’s flat, it does not not break through and grab, nor does it draw the listener in.

Why do we need to bring Morrissey into this? Did I say that Marr demands that we only should experience the song the way he does?

We are talking about the listeners interpretation. I gave mine in a post above.

:)

:handpointdown:

Stuck on praying over me
Flash in the heat, we're forgotten
Oh, must we get their heat?
Oh, it's coming over
I've gotta see it
Oh
We're like we've always been (yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah)
Just like we've always been (yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah)
Like we'll always been
Like we've always been
Bring the lightning people (yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah)
It's like we'll always be (yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah)
Me and the lightning people (yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah)

:mask:

WE RE LIKE WE VE ALWAYS BEEN YEA YEA YEA:smileycat:
YEA YEA YEA YEA WE RE JUST LIKE WE VE ALWAYS BEEN
YEA YEA YEA ITS LIKE WE LL ALWAYS BE LIKE WE ALWAYS BE:hushed:

BRING THE EAR PLUGS :hearnoevil:

:lbf:

What a musical shanda:hammer:

Oh how can anyone surpass these words:

Spent the day in bed
Very happy I did, yes
I spent the day in bed
As the workers stay enslaved
I spent the day in bed
I'm not my type, but
I love my bed

Oh how can anyone surpass these words:

Spent the day in bed
Very happy I did, yes
I spent the day in bed
As the workers stay enslaved
I spent the day in bed
I'm not my type, but
I love my bed
"I'm not my type, but I love my bed" is a genuinely great lyric, though. Witty, tongue in cheek, makes sense as a sentence - everything that Johnny Marr's lyrics are not.

It's silly how many people think they're making some damning point of how Marr is a worse lyricist than Morrissey. Almost EVERYONE is a worse lyricist than Morrissey. That does not prevent me from enjoying non-Morrissey music. And if you think he's writing as well as he did in his 20's, you're delusional anyway.

Anyway, I believe both Morrissey AND Marr have been putting out strong solo material over the last few years. Quite enjoy Fever Dreams the few times I've heard the entirety.

The anon bringing up Morrissey is unnecessary and off topic.

Anyway, even the great Dylan has written stinkers. I mean, these are the lyrics that Marr’s writing now, you really think there’s gonna be an improvement in 7-10 years time?

Let’s see what his lyrics are like after he’s been writing for years and years, if we’re going to compare him to other artists that have been writing for many years.

Had my first listen today and I wish I had liked it more. My main problem is that the songs lack dynamics: they start as they mean to go on -- and then they go on. The wall of sound approach gets boring, when the songs refuse to evolve and there's 16 songs, most of which are quite similar. I'm not sure whether I'll buy it, I need to give its ome more listens.

I do want to enjoy this album, I wanted to enjoy his previous albums, I even bought and went to see him live when he formed The Healers. I am a fan of his and have been since 1985.

I know he is probably writing music for a different generation but the praise he receives for this recent work just is not justified to my ears. His lyrics are just jibberish, his vocal range is so narrow it limits any potential for vocal melody. The hardest thing to take is the music itself, is this really the same man who write the music for the smiths? the guy who made me continue to pick up me guitar and learn each song. The closing track with the acoustic guitar, this is apparently the same genius guitarist who conceived please please please, back to the old house, I won’t share you And cemetry gates.

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom