Johnny Marr - Fender (interview and live); independent.ie (on writing autobiography)

Re: Johnny Marr - Love from Hospital Club London (interview and live)

Thanks for sharing this.
If Johnny released a DVD of something like this - intimate filmed performances with great audio, maybe interview sprinkled in. That's something I might buy. But I didn't have any strong motivation to buy the "Playland" album. And I passed up going to see him live. Personally, this kind of content is what hit the "Johnny Marr is a solo performer with a backing band" button for me.

bit annoying is you expect to hear Morrissey, but it's about 30 years on

I don't expect to hear Morrissey. I expect someone who can sing or, at least, someone with an interesting voice. Both is not the case with Johnny.

If he really loved it he would stay longer on stage

Are you aware what you are saying. It's quite ridiculous, really. So, Moz doesn't love being on stage and, in fact, never loved it just because he doesn't keep on there as ridiculously long as 3 or 4 hours? To be on stage for so long isn't the rule, it's the exception. Are you therefore questioning EVERY artist on the planet? How do YOU know any artist's feelings when being on stage?

The fact that The Cure do play 3 hours makes it worth it to invest the time and money. Depeche Mode still crank out upwards of 25 of 40 songs they have ready for a given tour not to mention the 2-4 surprises by Martin Gore every show.
The Cure have been known to rehearse 90-100 songs for a tour.
I've seen Morrissey unenthusiastically get on stage and crap out an abysmal effort for the last time.

The Cure's ability to pull out surprises from night to night and deliver 3- or in a couple of insane examples 4+ hour shows is amazing. Especially at their stage in the game. It shows a real love of playing which does not come through with a lot of artists. It was ridiculous last week how fast they sold out Madison square gardens and Hollywood bowl for 6 nights running. I'm really hoping to score tickets to see them.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, Someone took the bait.

:lbf:

I swear that Fender video was posted about a year ago. It's pretty old 'news'.

voice is fine. But that guitar playing! Jesse REALLY needs to teach him how to play that song.

- - - Updated - - -

he also just gets criticized.

bitch, is not like your wrong. Wait, do you think Jesse can do justice to the smiths songs? i don' think so. Nothing against the guy tho. He seems nice, but i don't think he's very talented

still ill, hear that Jesse and Boz!

no one can play the Smiths song as the one who composed them.

bit annoying is you expect to hear Morrissey, but it's about 30 years on,
his own songs he can sing, but please Johnny you're one of last Legendary guitarplayers, leave singin to another/others, it's not bad, but you're no singer

guitar playing is as better than any guitarist has/d in Morrissey's band though little Barrie who
just had a few days when Alain stepped back in the 2004 tour, that bloke could/can play,
than Jesse came quickly, let's end

Johnny Marr 10 points [out of 10]

ps Alain came close

People who say they don't want some sort of reunion are lying. Having seen both Morrissey and Marr live and been blown away with both I cannot help but think about Morrissey's voice (which live is the best it has ever been) over Marr's playing. I mean is there anyone who would really tell me they wouldn't want to see that live?

People who say they don't want some sort of reunion are lying. Having seen both Morrissey and Marr live and been blown away with both I cannot help but think about Morrissey's voice (which live is the best it has ever been) over Marr's playing. I mean is there anyone who would really tell me they wouldn't want to see that live?

From Johnny Marr's twitter ...

Daz Mawdsley ‏@ShrimperDaz 17. Okt.
@Johnny_Marr Johnny you're a legend and I would walk through a sand of
broken glass to hear the Smiths play again!

Johnny Marr ‏@Johnny_Marr 17. Okt.
@ShrimperDaz That won't be necessary.

Dear Mr. Power Bottoms... And all concerned,

It's NOT about justice to the Smith songs. It's ABOUT... justice to time. The 'problem'(as most see it) IS NOT
that Jesse plays the songs differently(some see it as played wrongly). The PROBLEM IS that Johnny after ALL this time CONTINUES to play the songs the SAME way.

WHY? WHY? WHY? I ask you good people ..Why would you want the songs played the same way ??? Nostalgia?,Security?That warm feeling of knowing you're 'right'?, Dread of change? These are all illnesses... and there are doctors for such things. GO SEE THEM.

M knows this and contrary to most peoples/'fans' beliefs that he's imbalanced in his choices/decisions... He seems like the ONLY one who wants to bring something new to the table and he seems to be the ONLY one who want's to move on. It's called ....SANITY.

This is a reach, even for you. You dishonor Patti Smith by using her as your avatar.

Dear Mr. Power Bottoms... And all concerned,

It's NOT about justice to the Smith songs. It's ABOUT... justice to time. The 'problem'(as most see it) IS NOT
that Jesse plays the songs differently(some see it as played wrongly). The PROBLEM IS that Johnny after ALL this time CONTINUES to play the songs the SAME way.

WHY? WHY? WHY? I ask you good people ..Why would you want the songs played the same way ??? Nostalgia?,Security?That warm feeling of knowing you're 'right'?, Dread of change? These are all illnesses... and there are doctors for such things. GO SEE THEM.

M knows this and contrary to most peoples/'fans' beliefs that he's imbalanced in his choices/decisions... He seems like the ONLY one who wants to bring something new to the table and he seems to be the ONLY one who want's to move on. It's called ....SANITY.

Thank you very much for saying this. I always wanted to say it like that but English isn't my first language so I couldn't.

Thank you very much for saying this. I always wanted to say it like that but English isn't my first language so I couldn't.

Thank you, My pleasure. It seems it might take someone who's English is not their first language to understand my posts.:) I do my best.... And when words fail me... I cry I sing I bleed... And the passing of time.... understands.

Last edited:

would i go see, sure, but if i had to choose between the smiths doing old music that ive heard for a long time now or having morrissey or marr make and tour a new album i would hands down take the new album. i also dont care if either plays smiths music in there set or not and would again rather hear new music from the guys

Not sure about this, have been lucky enough to have seen The Smiths live 3 times, Morrissey 10+ times and Marr twice. In my opinion the Smiths only became a brilliant live act when they introduced Craig Gannon on second guitar, previous to that the sound was rather weedy. I enjoyed all the Morrissey gigs I have attended and the Marr gigs have all been good, although not as good as a Morrissey gig.

I don't want to see reunion, I saw them at their peak in July 1986 and am happy with those memories. Here is what they played that day:

Bigmouth Strikes Again
Panic
Vicar in a Tutu
Frankly, Mr. Shankly
There Is a Light That Never Goes Out
Ask
I Want the One I Can't Have
Cemetry Gates
The Boy With the Thorn in His Side
Is It Really So Strange?
Shakespeare's Sister
Stretch Out and Wait
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
The Queen Is Dead
Encore:
I Know It's Over
Encore 2:
Rusholme Ruffians
(with (Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame intro)
Hand in Glove

would i go see, sure, but if i had to choose between the smiths doing old music that ive heard for a long time now or having morrissey or marr make and tour a new album i would hands down take the new album. i also dont care if either plays smiths music in there set or not and would again rather hear new music from the guys

hear,hear! :thumb:

i should clarify by saying a new solo album by either. of course new music form both wold be cool but id rather have new music from both rather than see them tour old smiths songs

This is a reach, even for you. You dishonor Patti Smith by using her as your avatar.

lmfao i agree :thumb:

- - - Updated - - -

this is true, but i think that most of the people who say they don't want a reunion are only hardcore moz fans. I feel like people who enjoy The Smiths more than morrissey solo music are really hoping for a reunion

Seeing Marr play those songs does make me wish Morrissey was up there singing...
When I next see Morrissey I'd rather he played some of the great solo songs he rarely does with a couple of lesser-played Smiths songs. But it was very nice seeing "The Queen Is Dead" live, and for some people it is the first and maybe last chance they will get to see him, so it's okay if I don't get final say.

Let's say there was never a Smiths. Pretend Morrissey just showed up and said "Hey, I am Stephen Morrissey. I sing in a baritone like voice. I write cutting lyrics. But I cant play any instruments except tambourine. Can I get a job singing and / or a recording contract?" Let's also pretend that Johnny Marr showed up and said "Hi, I'm Johnny Marr. I have a unique guitar sound and am fashionable. But my singing voice some don't like and I am not very lyrical. Can I have a music contract?" Likewise for Joyce and Rourke.

The 4 never met each other. Do you really think Marr / Moz would have the solo careers that they enjoy today if not for the Smiths?

Let's say there was never a Smiths. Pretend Morrissey just showed up and said "Hey, I am Stephen Morrissey. I sing in a baritone like voice. I write cutting lyrics. But I cant play any instruments except tambourine. Can I get a job singing and / or a recording contract?" Let's also pretend that Johnny Marr showed up and said "Hi, I'm Johnny Marr. I have a unique guitar sound and am fashionable. But my singing voice some don't like and I am not very lyrical. Can I have a music contract?" Likewise for Joyce and Rourke.

The 4 never met each other. Do you really think Marr / Moz would have the solo careers that they enjoy today if not for the Smiths?

i think morrissey would. many artists are singed by head hunters from labels and singers more so than musicians to use a vague distinction especially in the u.k. i mean im not taking you literally show up at some building and say what youd have them say but he could get auditioned singing standards and signed. marr on the other hand would have a hard time unless he wanted session work where you would have to work up to songwriter or just submit songs for artists on said labels roster which also happens. if he wanted music under his own name then that would be tougher as instrumental albums dont really sell. if they think hes enough of a personality once hes worked up to songwriter then they might try and pair him with someone and market them as a duo etc.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom