Johnny Marr, contributor for the first biography of Siouxsie's and Magazine's legendary guitarist: John McGeoch - "The Light Pours Out of Me"

woovee

Ommibus Press releases in April 2022 a biography of John McGeoch:

"The Light Pours Out Of Me - The Authorised Biography of John McGeoch"

John McGeoch is best known for his work as a guitarist with the bands Magazine and Siouxsie and the Banshees. He was the man behind the riffs of "Shot by Both Sides", "The Light Pours Out of Me, "Happy House", "Spellbound" and many more classic tracks.

He has directly influenced numerous guitarists. From Johnny Marr to Jonny Greenwood, Ed O'Brien of Radiohead, and also John Frusciante, The Edge, and many others have all been vocal about John McGeoch's work with Magazine and Siouxsie and the Banshees.

41XIFmNobzL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_ML2_.jpg

'John McGeoch was the unsung hero of the post-punk era. Blazing a trail with some of Britain’s biggest bands and most revered artists – Magazine, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Armoury Show and Public Image Ltd. – John left an undeniable and indelible mark on music.

The Light Pours Out of Me examines John’s life and legacy, drawing on original interviews with the likes of Siouxsie Sioux, Howard Devoto, Johnny Marr, Billy Idol, John Frusciante, Keith Levene, Jonny Greenwood, Nick Launay, Ed O’Brien, Peter ‘Hooky’ Hook and many others.

Illustrated with unseen photographs, this moving biography – authorised by the family – celebrates the remarkable guitarist who helped provide the soundtrack to a generation.'

A special edition of the biography (only available on the site of Omnibus Press) includes a copy of the book signed by contributor Johnny Marr plus a limited vinyl single.
Omnibus Press website, special edition

It is available worldwide.
UK: on Amazon UK

USA: on Amazon.com

Europe: On Amazon Fr

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I ordered the special edition signed by Johnny ( at least I will have his signature). The single is pretty cool too because it includes a live version of Shot By Both sides recorded at the Factory in Manchester.

Can't wait to know more about his life trajectory. It takes guts to leave a successful band like Magazine at the peak of their powers after just four years, to join another successful band like Siouxsie And The Banshees - without really knowing if they were also going to accept him as composer.

Didn't know that John McGeoch was also revered by Radiohead and John Frusciante.

Received my copy of the book. Kind words by Johnny, he spent a lot of time with the author, long interview. He even wrote a foreword for the book.

I'm looking forward to reading this. Magzine are THE best of the post-punk bunch, by as long shalk
Mark E Smith , Howard Devoto and Morrissey are the manchester Mount Rushmore
Its nice johnny joined in, I don't know much about John McGeoch: but what i know, I like .

I'm looking forward to reading this. Magzine are THE best of the post-punk bunch, by as long shalk
Mark E Smith , Howard Devoto and Morrissey are the manchester Mount Rushmore
Its nice johnny joined in, I don't know much about John McGeoch: but what i know, I like .
Yes, absolutely love Magazine! Saw them once, but before they released their masterpiece The Correct Use of Soap. Love that Johnny gives his time for these types of projects honoring his influences like John McGeoch, Bert Jansch and Rory Gallagher.

Yes, absolutely love Magazine! Saw them once, but before they released their masterpiece The Correct Use of Soap. Love that Johnny gives his time for these types of projects honoring his influences like John McGeoch, Bert Jansch and Rory Gallagher.
Will Sergeant from Echo & the Bunnymen was at an event about the book the other night. I like seeing musicians showing an an interest in other musicians work. Some great video of him playing on Shot by both sides ( Music written by Pete Shelley from Buzzccocks) here.

Last edited:
Will Sergeant from Echo & the Bunnymen was at an event about the book the other night. I like seeing musicians showing an an interest in other musicians work. Some great video of him playing on Shot by both sides ( Music written by Pete Shelley from Buzzccocks) here.

I noticed that Johnny Marr is thanked in Will's book Bunnyman. It's very funny and well-written.

It's interesting that Magazine took Pete Shelley's riff and made it into a post-punk epic. The Buzzcock's version "Lipstick" just doesn't have the same impact or intent.

Out in the US today. " The Light Pours Out of Me - The Authorized Biography of John McGeoch " by Rory Sullivan-Burke is in the shops and is available online in the states.
This is really a great book not only about a guitarist but also about all the choices a musician has to take during all their career, whether staying in a confortable place or taking some risks, like leaving a band at the peak of their power to join another high profile group. In many ways, there are parallels between John McGeoch's career and Johnny's as Johnny also left The Smiths to join other successful groups. John McGeoch's family was also working class, he was a clever precocious child and his passion for music and life eventually allowed him to escape and live another life. A fascinating rewarding read

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom