Johnny Marr: "Cemetry Gates" snippet - Radio X FB (April 22, 2020)

Simply beautiful. What more is there to say?

He's written hundreds of songs. Why does he only ever play Smiths songs in moments like these?
Why not Modest Mouse? Why not the Cribbs? Why not Electrics? Why not Billy Bragg? Why not the Healers? Why not the solo stuff?
Is Morrissey the only person that has ever given his songs any genuine, long-lasting emotional resonance? If so, how about a little credit? He can't do it, can he? In the live shows, he only ever comes alive when he sings the words of Morrissey, despite having written the lyrics to 50+ songs himself. Odd that.

He's written hundreds of songs. Why does he only ever play Smiths songs in moments like these?
Why not Modest Mouse? Why not the Cribbs? Why not Electrics? Why not Billy Bragg? Why not the Healers? Why not the solo stuff?
Is Morrissey the only person that has ever given his songs any genuine, long-lasting emotional resonance? If so, how about a little credit? He can't do it, can he? In the live shows, he only ever comes alive when he sings the words of Morrissey, despite having written the lyrics to 50+ songs himself. Odd that.
I guess it's because The Smiths is his greatest achivement.

Maybe because he knows that not many people know his solo stuff in comparison to his days with The Smiths, so he milks the stuff from those days to give himself a bit of a platform. He won't mention Morrissey so as to not risk staining the 'Johnny clean' image. It's shameful & gutless I think...nothing to stop him really saying "this is a song from back in the day which I wrote with Morrissey", even to just show a bit of an olive branch...but then again Marr has always been Johnny Safe.
Great pity.

To be fair, they're part of 'ask me anything' - which were random fan questions during lockdown. He plays bits of No Time To Die (from Bond), Shake Appeal (a song he wish he'd written by The Stooges), Inception OST and an acoustic Electronic track. He says his proudest guitar part was We Can't Stop What's Coming by The The. This was in amongst lots on non-music related questions.
Regards,
FWD.

"He's written hundreds of songs. Why does he only ever play Smiths songs in moments like these?
Is Morrissey the only person that has ever given his songs any genuine, long-lasting emotional resonance? If so, how about a little credit? He can't do it, can he? In the live shows, he only ever comes alive when he sings the words of Morrissey, despite having written the lyrics to 50+ songs himself. Odd that."

In his recent Q&A sessions on Facebook JM also played the intro to The Messenger.
So will you apologise for talking nonsense?
Bruno

Immaculate music, for a "dreaded sunny day" :sweet:

But was it Wilde that said, "A man should never have a hedge better-tended than his hair..." ;)

I reckon I want to see the Oregon Son play the California Son in an online game of H-O-R-S-E. Reckon fek'll the Oregon Son needs to show everyone his Portland backyard basketball court with the Nike logo in the middle of it. You people are the list of the lost m8 c*** tit chipper curry northern base lives in hotels inn nn nn nn nn nn nn nn nn nn n it.

A beautiful California sunny day
So I meet you at the Venice Beach Courts
Jordan and Bird are on your side
A beautiful California sunny day
So I meet you at the Venice Beach Courts
Jordan and Bird are on your side
While Bryant is on mine

So we step on the court and practice our dunks
With basketball passion just like mine

Air Morrissey.jpg

Last edited:

Because it's not as popular and half of that material isn't even his. Really, does ANYONE care about his session work with the Cribs, The Pretenders & two million other bands? He raves about some of that like it was life-changing but mostly he was on board to do his 'guitar thing' and leave - where's the Marr magic in that?

Truthfully, every JM interview I've ever seen/heard is someone cycling through obligatory "sessioning questions" so that they can butter him up enough to ask about the Smiths. Maybe he has just stopped running from that legacy and started to embrace it a bit more.

Because it's not as popular and half of that material isn't even his. Really, does ANYONE care about his session work with the Cribs, The Pretenders & two million other bands? He raves about some of that like it was life-changing but mostly he was on board to do his 'guitar thing' and leave - where's the Marr magic in that?

Truthfully, every JM interview I've ever seen/heard is someone cycling through obligatory "sessioning questions" so that they can butter him up enough to ask about the Smiths. Maybe he has just stopped running from that legacy and started to embrace it a bit more.

Cemetry Gates was just one of the songs he played, posted here because of relevance. I think he's done beautiful work with all of the bands and projects he's worked with. It's all of a piece. If you're stuck on the Smiths, that's fine. There are people who love Electronic, the Cribs, Modest Mouse and his solo material. It's all part of Johnny Marr's legacy, it's all good.

Cemetry Gates was just one of the songs he played, posted here because of relevance. I think he's done beautiful work with all of the bands and projects he's worked with. It's all of a piece. If you're stuck on the Smiths, that's fine. There are people who love Electronic, the Cribs, Modest Mouse and his solo material. It's all part of Johnny Marr's legacy, it's all good.

I can understand the solo material & Electronic - at least that's got recognisable Marr sound and input. But where is the magic in all that sessioning, which could have been done by any 'star guitar guy'? As a fan, I've tried to like more of his collaborations but you have to sift through so much chaff to find nice bits - "Slow Emotion Replay", "Walking Down Madison", "Dashboard", "Nothing But Flowers" - and it's all so hodge-podge and inconsistent with different singers and bands. I'm actually thrilled to bits that Johnny 'went solo' - I like it a lot more.

His session works with Modest Mouse, the Cribs and Billy Brag are also great actually..I can hear his magic in them. The albums he worked with that bands got outstanding reviews too and there were always considerable remark on Johnny's guitar.

Modest Mouse and the Cribs suck. Bragg is a c***. Electronic were great but essentially the lyrics were a continuation of New Order's nonsense lyrics (Tony Wilson's description, not mine.) so essentially meaningless. His solo material has had its moments but his fans are mainly paying attention because of his days in the Smiths, which is natural.

Morrissey and Marr unearthed something out of each other that no one else could. The timing was also perfect. It's just clear there are very few quality lyricists out there and it doesn't matter how incredible a musician you are because people need to feel something real. I think you knew the answer to your own question anyway but this is my input.

I can understand the solo material & Electronic - at least that's got recognisable Marr sound and input. But where is the magic in all that sessioning, which could have been done by any 'star guitar guy'? As a fan, I've tried to like more of his collaborations but you have to sift through so much chaff to find nice bits - "Slow Emotion Replay", "Walking Down Madison", "Dashboard", "Nothing But Flowers" - and it's all so hodge-podge and inconsistent with different singers and bands. I'm actually thrilled to bits that Johnny 'went solo' - I like it a lot more.
Scraping the barrel even further I tried listening to Modest Mouse and the Cribs and cannot for the life of me understand what drew Marr to those bands. Was he just keeping his fingers busy or what?

I completely forgot to mention The The in my post before but his work with them was fantastic but a lot of people are under the wrong impression he actually wrote with Matt Johnson. On Mind Bomb he co wrote one song Gravitate to Me. On Dusk I don't think he co wrote any tracks. But yes you can hear his style all over both albums and they are more powerful for it.

I love his solo music too but I wish he'd edit himself a bit song wise. Out of his three albums so far you could make one incredible album.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom