Johnny Marr - "Barbarism" clip on @johnnymarrgram / Instagram; "I still miss Kirsty MacColl" article in The Spectator

Link posted in Strange/unexpected Moz references? originally mentioned by Maradona:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough. You don’t see The Spectator as Right-wing, many do.

According to Amy’s post #37 ...

‘PS. He's getting a lot of shit on Twitter for writing for a right-wing magazine.’

So it seems there are those that are disappointed in Marr, and I’m guessing, they don’t see The Spectator as just a harmless conservative publication.

You’re surprised that he would work for that publication and you recognize that a part of his image is ‘his distaste for the current government’. So surely this contradiction in his behavior can be seen as hypocritical, and this would in turn tarnish his (leftist) image.

it seems it has for others.

I don't think any of his fans will turn their back on him just because he wrote a piece for The Spectator. I think you will find that the shit he got is because it's viewed as a supporter of the Conservative party when Johnny's a staunch labour supporter.

:)

it doesnt matter if :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: gets tarnished amongst the commie cucks FFS they have no money to buy tix or cds in the first place.🤒
all they do is post pointless pap inside twitter.:elephant:

:hammer:

I don't think it makes sense to a turn a blind eye to anyone's mistakes. As I've often said though - I love both, in my view that's the natural position of any Smiths fan and I reject the 'camps' mentality.

I personally don’t care too much what publication an artist contributes to, especially if I enjoy their art.

What irks me is that Morrissey hater Uncleskinny has called The Spectator right-wing, and yet, when his hero Marr contributes to it, crickets, not a peep.

And I’m sure there are other Marr defenders that are all of a sudden not seeing The Spectator as that bad simply because Marr in his contribution to it, has in a way okayed the publication as all right with him.

Why he would contribute to what is considered a right-wing publication
must be recognized as a bit odd for Marr to do, even by his most ardent
defenders. Though maybe it is as simple as what you already mentioned in another thread, maybe The Spectator offered him more money for his article than the New Statesman, who knows.

I personally don’t care too much what publication an artist contributes to, especially if I enjoy their art.

What irks me is that Morrissey hater Uncleskinny has called The Spectator right-wing, and yet, when his hero Marr contributes to it, crickets, not a peep.

And I’m sure there are other Marr defenders that are all of a sudden not seeing The Spectator as that bad simply because Marr in his contribution to it, has in a way okayed the publication as all right with him.

Why he would contribute to what is considered a right-wing publication
must be recognized as a bit odd for Marr to do, even by his most ardent
defenders. Though maybe it is as simple as what you already mentioned in another thread, maybe The Spectator offered him more money for his article than the New Statesman, who knows.
As i've already said, yes I'm surprised he did. He is always tweeting about how shit the government is.

I don't think any of his fans will turn their back on him just because he wrote a piece for The Spectator.

Well, if they don’t recognize The Spectator as evil, or they do, but can separate the art from the artist, then yes, they should have no problem with Marr helping a publication that supposedly doesn’t share his political views. Why he would do such a thing? we may never know.

I think you will find that the shit he got is because it's viewed as a supporter of the Conservative party when Johnny's a staunch labour supporter.

It’s also viewed as more than just a supporter of the Conservative party by others.

As i've already said, yes I'm surprised he did. He is always tweeting about how shit the government is.

Yes fans of his are surprised, and surely this action of his has tarnished his image in their eyes.

Last edited:
Well, if they don’t recognize The Spectator as evil, or they do, but can separate the art from the artist, then yes, they should have no problem with Marr helping a publication that supposedly doesn’t share his political views. Why he would do such a thing? we may never know.

It’s also viewed as more than just a supporter of the Conservative party by others.

Yes fans of his are surprised, and surely this action of his has tarnished his image in their eyes.

Yes, it’s called, damage control.

What your actually trying to say is that you hope his image is tarnished, unfortunately it's not going to happen. Johnny's tweeted a number of times to his 300k followers since the article and there is not a single mention of The Spectator article. A lot of people in the UK voted for the Conservatives who are seen as centre to right wing, not many people gave a tick to For Britain on the ballot sheet because they are Far Right - see where this is going.

What your actually trying to say is that you hope his image is tarnished,

Lol! Hope? Nah.

Then again, I always preferred artists that have a little dirt on their
face.

unfortunately it's not going to happen.

it has happened, but you refuse to see that others are disappointed in his action.

Johnny's tweeted a number of times to his 300k followers since the article and there is not a single mention of The Spectator article.

You mean Marr is not mentioning it? Or his loyal supporters are not mentioning it?

Not mentioning it = damage control, can’t blame him or his followers for that.

A lot of people in the UK voted for the Conservatives who are seen as centre to right wing, not many people gave a tick to For Britain on the ballot sheet because they are Far Right - see where this is going.

doh::head-smack:

the point is that The Spectator is seen as evil, be it, right-wing, far right or Conservative by Marr fans and that will change the way some view Marr and his image as a leftist.

Lol! Hope? Nah.

Then again, I always preferred artists that have a little dirt on their
face.

it has happened, but you refuse to see that others are disappointed in his action.

You mean Marr is not mentioning it? Or his loyal supporters are not mentioning it?

Not mentioning it = damage control, can’t blame him or his followers for that.

doh::head-smack:

the point is that The Spectator is seen as evil, be it, right-wing, far right or Conservative by Marr fans and that will change the way some view Marr and his image as a leftist.

Not a single mention from his followers, the point is, you don't know what your talking about. The Spectator may be seen as evil to left wingers (who lost the last election by a landslide) but to the rest of the UK the Spectator is just another publication.

There are also no articles in any music publications about his Spectator article.

Morrissey lent his support to a party which is regarded as Far Right, hence the demise of his fan base in the UK.

You really are clutching at straws Ketamine.

Not a single mention from his followers,
They, like Marr, have their reasons surely.
the point is, you don't know what your talking about.

I know enough to see, where you refuse to.

The Spectator may be seen as evil to left wingers (who lost the last election by a landslide) but to the rest of the UK the Spectator is just another publication.

Well I’m glad you see it as ‘just another publication’.

The point is, Marr helping a publication that does not share the same politics as he does, supposedly.

There are also no articles in any music publications about his Spectator article.
I’m sure they have their reasons.
Morrissey lent his support to a party which is regarded as Far Right, hence the demise of his fan base in the UK.

What do you mean by ‘demise’? Because I believe he still has a fan base in the UK.

You really are clutching at straws Ketamine.

Lol. We’re both just calling it as we see it, chillax Surface.

The Spectator does promote far right ideas - which does more damage to our political system than Moz's badge.

But it's establishment - so it gets away with it.

And Marr does normal press & sticks to safe opinions so will be fine.

And Moz would have got a kicking, as ever.

I don't think it makes sense to a turn a blind eye to anyone's mistakes. As I've often said though - I love both, in my view that's the natural position of any Smiths fan and I reject the 'camps' mentality.

The estrangement of Morrissey and Marr is the driving factor in all of this... some fans just absorb the anger and bitterness that they sense between M & M and the 'teams' thing comes from that. I'd love Moz and Johnny to wrong-foot everyone and be photographed scoffing pizza in Bowdon one day - the prominent anti-Moz brigade would be torn between condemning it and punching the air in delight. Nile Marr (and Jesse Tobias) would not know where to look. :LOL:

As a Smiths & Moz fan I'm always trying my best not to act it out, but sometimes it's just hard to ignore it. It's a kind of negative competitive energy that ends up engulfing us and generating uneasy feelings...

I wish it could change, though.

Let's dream about it! :) 💓

The Spectator does promote far right ideas - which does more damage to our political system than Moz's badge.

But it's establishment - so it gets away with it.

And Marr does normal press & sticks to safe opinions so will be fine.

And Moz would have got a kicking, as ever.

the bot political system gets damaged by the spectator:crazy:
the spectator does damage to the political system WtF????:crazy:
the guardian is not exactly chopped liver FFS(n)
not to mention :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: when his comet blows us up the political system goes too:bomb:

As a Smiths & Moz fan I'm always trying my best not to act it out, but sometimes it's just hard to ignore it. It's a kind of negative competitive energy that ends up engulfing us and generating uneasy feelings...

I wish it could change, though.

Let's dream about it! :) 💓
I know what you mean. Johnny's occasional snarking doesn't help, nor the input of useless pissants like Nile and Jesse. Chrissie Hynde has it right (as did Kirsty).

chrissie moz.png
chrissie jm.jpg

I wonder if Johnny will play Barbarism at his shows next year?

There probably won’t even be a show next year if he keeps helping The Spector.

But I’m sure he learned his lesson, wouldn’t be surprised if his own son
chewed him out for that one. Lol.

I know what you mean. Johnny's occasional snarking doesn't help, nor the input of useless pissants like Nile and Jesse. Chrissie Hynde has it right (as did Kirsty).

View attachment 78394View attachment 78395

I wonder if Chrissie ever tried to play cupid and get those two back together again.

There probably won’t even be a show next year if he keeps helping The Spector.

But I’m sure he learned his lesson, wouldn’t be surprised if his own son
chewed him out for that one. Lol.

I wonder if Chrissie ever tried to play cupid and get those two back together again.

What are you even talking about, “the Spector”? 😃 Johnny’s article was endearingly personal and subtly subversive. It was totally in line with his point of view over the years. Good that he reached people that he may not have before. Anyway, he keeps busy and moves forward. What more can you do in these times?

What are you even talking about, “the Spector”? 😃 Johnny’s article was endearingly personal and subtly subversive. It was totally in line with his point of view over the years. Good that he reached people that he may not have before. Anyway, he keeps busy and moves forward. What more can you do in these times?

:crazy:

so now everybody who read the dumb spector article is going to run off and tat themselves after reading LePew 'subtle subversive' pap:lbf:

its like on of those backwards records, the :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: pap:rofl:

What are you even talking about, “the Spector”? 😃

Yes the conservative right-wing publication that also promotes far-right ideas, yes, that Spectator. :D

Johnny’s article was endearingly personal and subtly subversive.
:clap:
It was totally in line with his point of view over the years.

Yes the article was, but the publication is not really in line with his point of views. And of course we should give credit to both for being tolerant of the other views, even though it’s obvious that the Spectator is using Marr as a tool.

Good that he reached people that he may not have before.

According to Surface, Marr fans do read the Spectator. So what ‘people’ are you talking about?

We could only hope he confesses that BMG made him do it.

Anyway, he keeps busy and moves forward. What more can you do in these times?

Oh don’t worry, he’ll keep fans.
But it would be safer for him to not come off as hypocritical.

What do you make of the ‘Bond/Woke girls’ drawing headlining Marr’s article page ?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom