Johnny Marr - "Barbarism" clip on @johnnymarrgram / Instagram; "I still miss Kirsty MacColl" article in The Spectator

Link posted in Strange/unexpected Moz references? originally mentioned by Maradona:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Spectator is a conservative publication. They're hardly Hitler but it's definitely surprising that Johnny Marr would write for the same magazine as Rod Liddle, Douglas Murray, Lionel Shriver, Brendan O'Neill...

The Spectator is a conservative publication. They're hardly Hitler but it's definitely surprising that Johnny Marr would write for the same magazine as Rod Liddle, Douglas Murray, Lionel Shriver, Brendan O'Neill...

Yes you are right and I was surprised he wrote the piece for them but some people seem to want to use the piece to tarnish him when it's actually quite an interesting article.

“ I go through Soho Square a lot, where I stop to look at Kirsty MacColl’s memorial bench. She was a good friend of mine and we wrote some songs together. I still miss her.” - Marr

1639854063737.jpeg

Happy with your 2.2
What else is there for you to do
But turn and wet the baby's head
And pray he will be happier than you or me?
That's how it's meant to be

It's called a lifetime
At first you never notice
Then the years go flying by and I say

Tread lightly in your dreams
They might come true for you tomorrow

Say sorry to the boys and girls
You're sorry for this bloody world
Sorry for the sick and old
And sorry for the lies you told
Sorry for the things I did
The thighs we should have left unsaid
And walked away instead of
Rubbing salt on all those open sores and wounds
We should have left to heal

🖤💙💜

Last edited:
You have a go at Johnny for his writing, but reject criticism of an incomprehensible mess like "List of the Lost"? Bizarre.

I thought the article read like Johnny was working his way through a list of emailed questions / prompts - "What was it like working on Bond / What do you do for fun / What will you be doing at Christmas", etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they put a Brexit question in there to bait him actually and that's why he starts, "There's really no point going on about Brexit...". Strange choice for the Spectator though, a guy who forbids Tories to like the Smiths :LOL:

PS. He's getting a lot of shit on Twitter for writing for a right-wing magazine.

I appreciate your edit and addition to your post. Also, I never said I totally disliked Marr’s article.

o_O
fascinating article:rolleyes:

:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: goes jogging in Hale. thats like double🪢🪢
secret info that only those who read the Hale paper
were previously privy to:lbf:

Jr makes vegan food.👨‍🍳
its not like he has money to go
out and buy it off AMPM😶

what else? he has an imaginary studio. 🥸

a regular Isis Unveiled, the dumb DramaJ article:hammer:

Imagine if Morrissey wrote a piece for The Spectator.

All hell would break loose.

Imagine if Morrissey wrote a piece for The Spectator.

All hell would break loose.

Why would Morrissey write a piece for the Spectator, they support the Conservatives who are centre right, Morrissey is only interested in the far right - The For Britain Movement is a minor far-right political party in the United Kingdom, founded by the anti-Islam activist Anne Marie Waters

Yes you are right and I was surprised he wrote the piece for them
Thank you
but some people seem to want to use the piece to tarnish him

To tarnish him? it seems you’re implying that he’s not tarnishable, which is not surprising coming from you.

He made a mistake, don’t be a Marr apologist.

when it's actually quite an interesting article.

interesting in context? sure.

Thank you

To tarnish him? it seems you’re implying that he’s not tarnishable, which is not surprising coming from you.

He made a mistake, don’t be a Marr apologist.

interesting in context? sure.

Read my response to Bun Bun again, you will see I said I'm surprised he wrote it for them. He is very vocal in his distaste for the current government.

Read my response to Bun Bun again, you will see I said I'm surprised he wrote it for them. He is very vocal in his distaste for the current government.

I’m sorry.

So you do agree that his decision to work for The Spectator is a tarnishing to his image.

Why would Morrissey write a piece for the Spectator, they support the Conservatives who are centre right, Morrissey is only interested in the far right - The For Britain Movement is a minor far-right political party in the United Kingdom, founded by the anti-Islam activist Anne Marie Waters

It would definitely make more sense if Morrissey wrote for a publication that is also the home of people like Douglas Murray, who many would label "far right" and who Morrissey has expressed admiration for, than Johnny Marr who is a self-confessed leftie.

Last edited:
I’m sorry.

So you do agree that his decision to work for The Spectator is a tarnishing to his image.

No it's not tarnishing his image at all, The Conservatives (who the Spectator support) won the last election by a landslide so there are probably some Smiths/Marr fans who read it.

Last edited:
Wasn’t there a big stink on here some time ago because Brendan O’Neill wrote something favourable about Morrissey in The Spectator? I believe it was dismissed as a “right wing” rag...

The Spectator gets condemned as far right every day on my timeline.

20211219_105653.jpg

The editorial line is a bit borderline.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Spectator gets condemned as far right every day on my timeline.

View attachment 78368

The editorial line is a bit borderline.

Really, can you find anything on their website that backs up that tweet?

Speaking of anti vaxers, looks like Corbyns demented brother is in serious shit.

Really, can you find anything on their website that backs up that tweet?

Speaking of anti vaxers, looks like Corbyns demented brother is in serious shit.

Lionel Shriver, Douglas Murray & Rod Liddle alone have all bases covered.

But it got the most flack for a Taki article supporting Greek neo-Nazi party Golden Dawn.

Yeah, I think they might chuck the book at Piers this time.

Lionel Shriver, Douglas Murray & Rod Liddle alone have all bases covered.

But it got the most flack for a Taki article supporting Greek neo-Nazi party Golden Dawn.

Yeah, I think they might chuck the book at Piers this time.

Yep, god knows what possessed him to say that not long after an MP was murdered in his office.

On closer inspection I think you’ll find that I was rejecting the one criticizing rather than their criticism.

I see what are faults (to me) in List Of The Lost.

Not saying you are, but don’t you find it funny when the Marr defenders turn a blind eye to his mistakes? Yet condemn Morrissey
on a Morrissey/Smiths fan site any chance they can? And to be fair on your part shouldn’t you also be criticizing them for doing so?

Bizarre.

I don't think it makes sense to a turn a blind eye to anyone's mistakes. As I've often said though - I love both, in my view that's the natural position of any Smiths fan and I reject the 'camps' mentality.

The estrangement of Morrissey and Marr is the driving factor in all of this... some fans just absorb the anger and bitterness that they sense between M & M and the 'teams' thing comes from that. I'd love Moz and Johnny to wrong-foot everyone and be photographed scoffing pizza in Bowdon one day - the prominent anti-Moz brigade would be torn between condemning it and punching the air in delight. Nile Marr (and Jesse Tobias) would not know where to look. :LOL:

:rolleyes:

Oi you cant find any of the the right wing stuff in the Spectator site but the Hater pap from here can be synched directly to the Moz site:lbf:

:lbf:

just because :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: wrote in the Spectator everybody there is Cool.

IS LEPEW COOL?:cool:
IS THE SPECTATOR COOL?:cool:
DID LEPEW WRITE PAP THERE?🤹‍♂️
YES I BELIEVE HE DID🎭
THEN BY THE PROCESS OF ADDITION WE FIND
THAT EVERYBODY IS COOL🧊

Moz is busy has no time to entertain Mr Le "i made a james bond movie" Pew:hammer:

No it's not tarnishing his image at all, The Conservatives (who the Spectator support) won the last election by a landslide so I'm sure a lot of Smiths/Marr fans read it.

Fair enough. You don’t see The Spectator as Right-wing, many do.

According to Amy’s post #37 ...

‘PS. He's getting a lot of shit on Twitter for writing for a right-wing magazine.’

So it seems there are those that are disappointed in Marr, and I’m guessing, they don’t see The Spectator as just a harmless conservative publication.

You’re surprised that he would work for that publication and you recognize that a part of his image is ‘his distaste for the current government’. So surely this contradiction in his behavior can be seen as hypocritical, and this would in turn tarnish his (leftist) image.

it seems it has for others.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom