Johnny Marr - "Barbarism" clip on @johnnymarrgram / Instagram; "I still miss Kirsty MacColl" article in The Spectator

Link posted in Strange/unexpected Moz references? originally mentioned by Maradona:

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the article was written by Marr, and the poster was on topic by criticizing Marr’s writing skills.
You're right. I was reading a few interviews that day/night and went from a Gary Numan interview with a journalist to Marr's self written blog/thingy. Anyway I don't see how it is badly written. It looks like he wrote what he had in his head without editing it. So what.

You're right. I was reading a few interviews that day/night and went from a Gary Numan interview with a journalist to Marr's self written blog/thingy. Anyway I don't see how it is badly written. It looks like he wrote what he had in his head without editing it. So what.
The writing is fine... it was just another lame attack on Johnny... because that's what some here always do.

:)
"Often the best time for walking there is at night while there are still nocturnal animals around."

:rolleyes:

they are NOCTURNAL animals, why would they not be around at night FFSdoh:

he is no Fiona, thats for sure:clap:

:hammer:

Not like Jimi or Ziggy. Lol.

But seriously though, I wonder if it was in Marr’s BMG contract that he had to reach a wider audience and that’s why he contributed to a conservative (right wing) media site.

Surprised they didn’t edit out his Brexit comment, so I guess we should at least give them credit for not doing so.
I would venture to say his view on Brexit was the reason why he wrote an article for them. Why not expose people to the difficulties of British musicians under Brexit? The article is chatty, plainspoken, pitched perfectly.

I would venture to say his view on Brexit was the reason why he wrote an article for them.

As long as we’re venturing...

Or they offered him more money than the New Statesman? Which solo member Amy suggested in a different Marr thread.

Maybe The Spectator should also be given credit for allowing his Brexit comment in the article? showing tolerance?

Though it also looks like Marr was just a tool being used by the right-wing publication to win over some new readers to their views.
Thanks Johnny. (y)

Why not expose people to the difficulties of British musicians under Brexit?

yes, why not?

The article is chatty, plainspoken, pitched perfectly.

Well that’s being generous, so I will be generous also, by saying... I didn’t totally dislike it.

:mad:

i thought :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: had hit all the blogs but i guess i was wrong a couple more twatistic blogs to go:thumbsdown:

nobody is bitter towards the small LePew, he lacks talent and is poor at writing. he cant make simple lyrics FFS😐 and his article writing is poor, as expected. nobody can claim to be surprised.

i dont know why he is so worried about touring Europe and Brexit, since there has never been a "LePew SOLO band no opening for some other suco group Europenan Tour" that i know of . maybe 2 -3 miserably tiny gigs but thats about it. its not like it would affect him.... what a blower FFS, like it would Moz who has huge European tours all the time in legit venues🙂

:hammer:

I'd say some Moz fans really struggle to overcome Johnny's bitterness toward Morrissey.
You’d be bitter too if your former lead singer decided to completely dismantle the legacy of one of the greatest bands ever.

You’d be bitter too if your former lead singer decided to completely dismantle the legacy of one of the greatest bands ever.
Genesis recently sold out lots of venues despite the efforts of Phil Collins for the last 30 years.
Smiths albums will always sell, t-shirts will be flogged, tears will be shed, hopeless Smiths/Morrissey nuts will still appear on MasterMind. The Smiths will be alright.

I'd say some Moz fans really struggle to overcome Johnny's bitterness toward Morrissey.

True.

But here it’s just the Marr-bots attacking me as usual :sleeping:

They’re just upset that their hero Johnny is helping the right-wing Spectator to further their agenda.

guess you didn’t read the Spectator article then. If you think that’s good writing then you must check out some of Fiona’s articles, you’ll think she’s Shakespeare.
You have a go at Johnny for his writing, but reject criticism of an incomprehensible mess like "List of the Lost"? Bizarre. I thought the article read like Johnny was working his way through a list of emailed questions / prompts - "What was it like working on Bond / What do you do for fun / What will you be doing at Christmas", etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they put a Brexit question in there to bait him actually and that's why he starts, "There's really no point going on about Brexit...". Strange choice for the Spectator though, a guy who forbids Tories to like the Smiths :LOL:

PS. He's getting a lot of shit on Twitter for writing for a right-wing magazine.

Last edited:
And what is The Spectators agenda Ketamine?

It has been described as conservative and right-wing Surface.

“The magazine cleaves to a purple-faced, pro-fox-hunting, climate-change-denying, insidiously Islamophobic worldview that's so hardened in its arteries it feels some weeks as if I've gone undercover with the dangerous right-wing splinter group of a rural parish council. Their TV reviewer actually described the recent defeat of a red-brick university on University Challenge in terms of "barbarians at the gates".
But the magazine can be erudite, commanding and witty, and you have to respect its devotion to the cause. It takes a lot of creativity and chutzpah to work the issue of our pandering to Muslims into every single article.”

“In 2017, the author and essayist Pankaj Mishra wrote that the Spectator, “once suavely edited, now serves as a fraternity house… pummelling Muslims and high-fiving on Brexit, these right-wing bros are to the posh periodicals what Jeremy Clarkson was to the BBC”. On 31 October, that description was proved at least half right when Liddle wrote a column in which he ridiculed the Labour MP Rosie Duffield for speaking out about her experience of domestic abuse, while also appearing to suggest that the general election be held on a day when Muslims would be forbidden to vote for religious reasons.”

“.... Liddle & Co may be bullies but they aren’t fascists, nor have they incited political violence against those they taunt and demean in their writings. From their berths at the Spectator, and other titles in the British mainstream media, they have instead provided a slow transfusion of bigotry into a historically repressed and underdeveloped English nationalism, which has now assumed a more strident position in the national consciousness.

In the literary and intellectual history of the right the current Spectator commentariat will be judged as lightweights. But that does not lessen the deleterious impact their septic vapourings have had on the political and cultural life of the nation.”

Last edited:
You have a go at Johnny for this, but you reject criticism of an incomprehensible mess like "List of the Lost"? Bizarre.

On closer inspection I think you’ll find that I was rejecting the one criticizing rather than their criticism.

I see what are faults (to me) in List Of The Lost.

Not saying you are, but don’t you find it funny when the Marr defenders turn a blind eye to his mistakes? Yet condemn Morrissey
on a Morrissey/Smiths fan site any chance they can? And to be fair on your part shouldn’t you also be criticizing them for doing so?

Bizarre.

It has been described as conservative and right-wing Surface.

“The magazine cleaves to a purple-faced, pro-fox-hunting, climate-change-denying, insidiously Islamophobic worldview that's so hardened in its arteries it feels some weeks as if I've gone undercover with the dangerous right-wing splinter group of a rural parish council. Their TV reviewer actually described the recent defeat of a red-brick university on University Challenge in terms of "barbarians at the gates".
But the magazine can be erudite, commanding and witty, and you have to respect its devotion to the cause. It takes a lot of creativity and chutzpah to work the issue of our pandering to Muslims into every single article.”

“In 2017, the author and essayist Pankaj Mishra wrote that the Spectator, “once suavely edited, now serves as a fraternity house… pummelling Muslims and high-fiving on Brexit, these right-wing bros are to the posh periodicals what Jeremy Clarkson was to the BBC”. On 31 October, that description was proved at least half right when Liddle wrote a column in which he ridiculed the Labour MP Rosie Duffield for speaking out about her experience of domestic abuse, while also appearing to suggest that the general election be held on a day when Muslims would be forbidden to vote for religious reasons.”

“.... Liddle & Co may be bullies but they aren’t fascists, nor have they incited political violence against those they taunt and demean in their writings. From their berths at the Spectator, and other titles in the British mainstream media, they have instead provided a slow transfusion of bigotry into a historically repressed and underdeveloped English nationalism, which has now assumed a more strident position in the national consciousness.

In the literary and intellectual history of the right the current Spectator commentariat will be judged as lightweights. But that does not lessen the deleterious impact their septic vapourings have had on the political and cultural life of the nation.”

You do realise that you have just posted a hatchet job by the Spectators main competitor. You should read the wiki piece on The Spectator and then you would realise that they are a supporter of the current Conservative party who won the last election by a landslide. Your attempts put Johnny down are becoming pathetic, as I've said before, I used to like your contribution to this site but nowadays you've become a joke but hey keep liking Vegans posts as it seems to give you a sense of satisfaction.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom