Johnny Marr - awful fashion sense,nanty riah and a pseud

butley

I am glad Morrissey met Marr but I do think Morrissey was 80 per cent of The Smiths appeal. Johnny is and was a bit of tool. Just reading his comments about fashion in the new Smiths book. Come on. Johnny always looked terrible. Really...Johnny was well into the rock and roll cliches and Morrissey kept him on the straight and narrow. The worse Johnny Marr's hair was-and it was mostly bad-in TV appearances the worse the singles did in the charts, nanty riah and nanty drag.

Re: Johnny Marr is still gorgeous! You should've gone to spec savers, mate

What are you talking about?

Nothing wrong with Johnny, he's still gorgeous!

jmlookup.jpg

Let's make another Johnny frink thread :D

I am glad Morrissey met Marr but I do think Morrissey was 80 per cent of The Smiths appeal. Johnny is and was a bit of tool. Just reading his comments about fashion in the new Smiths book. Come on. Johnny always looked terrible. Really...Johnny was well into the rock and roll cliches and Morrissey kept him on the straight and narrow. The worse Johnny Marr's hair was-and it was mostly bad-in TV appearances the worse the singles did in the charts, nanty riah and nanty drag.

I'm guessing you're in a very small minority with those opinions.

P

He's a tool because he had bad hair in the 80s? Yeah, him and ten million others...
I loved the beehive. It was wonderful.

He's a tool because he had bad hair in the 80s? Yeah, him and ten million others...
I loved the beehive. It was wonderful.

Yeah what a twat for coming up with the riff from Girl Afraid, and Barbarism Begins At Home and William It Was Really Nothing and all the rest of his amazing guitar riffs. what a twat.

I remember Noel Gallagher saying he always had impeccable hair and shoes and I agree

Obviously , his alleged tool-ishness isn't something worth discussing but I have to say I'm in the "bad hair" camp. The fringe , the beehive, the bowl - no , no , no ...

Obviously , his alleged tool-ishness isn't something worth discussing but I have to say I'm in the "bad hair" camp. The fringe , the beehive, the bowl - no , no , no ...

Heretic :lbf:

The only times I think his hair looked dreadful was when he had that horrible centre-parted cut in the late 80s, and the 'suedehead' cut in the early 90s.

But really, what does it matter?

Exhibit B: October 1987 - immediately post-Smiths :straightface:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heretic :lbf:

But really, what does it matter?

Ahh , I see we'll have to add the " the Shaun Ryder " to the " fringe , beehive & bowl " ...

His hair always seemed , in some strange way , too big for his head whereas Morrissey's monster quiffs were in proportion to that thrusting lower-jaw...

And of course it doesn't matter , you goose ...:p

Last edited:
His hair always seemed , in some strange way , too big for his head whereas Morrissey's monster quiffs were in proportion to that thrusting lower-jaw...

The wonders of hairspray :D

Exhibit B: October 1987 - immediately post-Smiths :straightface:.

Watching this pisses me off. Morrissey must have been seething when he had to go through this.

It's like a relationship...you go out with someone and have this incredible thing for YEARS and then they just randomly decide to go do whatever with all of these lesser cretins.

f*** Johnny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching this pisses me off. Morrissey must have been seething when he had to go through this.

It's like a relationship...you go out with someone and have this incredible thing for YEARS and then they just randomly decide to go do whatever with all of these lesser cretins.

f*** Johnny.

Oh, come on... you know he didn't 'randomly decide', he thought Moz' behaviour pushed him out.

Oh, come on... you know he didn't 'randomly decide', he thought Moz' behaviour pushed him out.

Uh, actually he did. if someone's 'behaviour' jumps off a cliff, does that make you jump off a cliff? you're naive. skylarker is right, f*** johnny.

johnny's style, for the time, was good and unique.

also, i can almost assure you johnny regrets/regretted the decision, at the time, and for years to come.

Last edited:

Well, it may have been in his head for awhile, but it still amounts to the same thing. It caught Morrissey off guard enough to spin him into a megadepression, caught the band off guard, and seems to have been -if indeed premeditated- squirreled away in his head in a surreptitious enough way to still make an incredible album with the three guys he was about to f*** in the ass. Seems sneaky and selfish at best and coldly deceptive at worst.

Then again, after Johnny destroyed the greatest group of all time we got a shitty band called Electronic, some boring session work with The Pretenders and The The, a smattering of guest slots in forgettable indie bands, and a truly awful solo record.

Meanwhile Morrissey gave us masterpieces like Viva Hate, Bona Drag, Your Arsenal, Southpaw Grammar, Christian Dior, Sweetie Pie, Mama Lay Softly on The Riverbed, Jack the Ripper, Now My Heart Is Full, A Swallow On My Neck...

Uh, actually he did. if someone's 'behaviour' jumps off a cliff, does that make you jump off a cliff? you're naive. skylarker is right, f*** johnny.

johnny's style, for the time, was good and unique.

also, i can almost assure you johnny regrets/regretted the decision, at the time, and for years to come.

What?

Johnny has spent 25 years telling every music paper going that Morrissey pushed him out of The Smiths by putting him under too much pressure, sacking producers and managers at the drop of a hat and not "allowing" him to experiment with different types of music. I'm pretty sure Skylarker is aware of that and so are you. You don't have to believe Marr's side of it, you can call bullshit on that story if you like - but it's what he's said for decades and those circumstances aren't "random". He didn't just wake up one day and think "f*** this shit, I'm gone".

What?

Johnny has spent 25 years telling every music paper going that Morrissey pushed him out of The Smiths by putting him under too much pressure, sacking producers and managers at the drop of a hat and not "allowing" him to experiment with different types of music. I'm pretty sure Skylarker is aware of that and so are you. You don't have to believe Marr's side of it, you can call bullshit on that story if you like - but it's what he's said for decades and those circumstances aren't "random". He didn't just wake up one day and think "f*** this shit, I'm gone".

Yeah, what you're saying is true. I guess the only thing I'm adding to that is how unfortunate it was that it came to a point where he felt he had to do that.

Well, it may have been in his head for awhile, but it still amounts to the same thing. It caught Morrissey off guard enough to spin him into a megadepression, caught the band off guard, and seems to have been -if indeed premeditated- squirreled away in his head in a surreptitious enough way to still make an incredible album with the three guys he was about to f*** in the ass. Seems sneaky and selfish at best and coldly deceptive at worst.]

Johnny tried to talk about leaving months before he actually did, and Morrissey didn't take him seriously. "I didn't believe he would actually do it". When the shit hit the fan, Moz told the music papers that he had felt it brewing for a while anyway; then went back years later and changed his story because he likes to play the victim. I'm not defending the way Johnny left - he ran away without a word, like a thief in the night - but it's foolish to suggest that he left for no reason or that he just got a bit fed up.

Agree with you about the train wreck that is Johnny's post-Smiths career.

Back
Top Bottom