Johnny Marr asked about Morrissey's new album in NME (June 14, 2014)

From Johnny Marr's official site:

JOHNNY MARR FEATURED IN THIS MONTHS NME
Read Johnny’s feature in this months NME magazine.

Guitar hero and NME god like genius Johnny fills us in on the fourthcoming follow-up to last years solo album ‘The Messenger”

Excerpt:

What do you think of Morrissey's new album, if you've heard any of it?
"(Pause) Did you hear that? That question was the sound of the bar lowering."

NME-Feature-11_06_14.jpg

I thought he meant that's the bar lowering in terms of the journalists questions not Morrissey's album. He must be pissed at being constantly asked these smiths moz questions. He isn't a dick.

The man hasn't put his name to a great song since the Smiths split, and the reason for that is because it was Morrissey who transposed his music into great songs; when relying on others (or himself) to craft vocal melodies and lyrics, he is never going to deliver songs in the same league as those of The Smiths: in other words, the Smiths are his lasting legacy, and he's got Morrissey (and to a lesser extent Andy Rourke, John Porter and Stephen Street) to thank for that. If it wasn't for the Smiths and Morrissey, nobody would give a toss about him, and he's happily traded on that for the best part of 30 years. He is 'Johnny Marr, ex-Smith'. A bit late to be getting touchy about it.

It's obvious what he was referring to, well to anyone with a basic grasp of English comprehension. The level of intellect in the comments section of this site continues to plummet.

Some of the regular posters on here really need help.

Excellent interview ruined by downer final question. If Johnny Marr wanted to express a view on Morrissey's new material he'd volunteer it. It's a shame the interviewer posed the question but, doubtless would have got a smacked arse from the Editor if he hadn't trolled Johnny at the end. Now the Editor will feel my wrath and roar.....

Q: "What do you think of Morrissey's new album, if you've heard any of it?"

A: "[pause] Did you hear that? That question was the sound of the bar lowering"

[sigh] Imagine you've had a traumatic divorce and yet, decades later, everyone wants to define every step of your life journey, you curriculum vitae, by that collapsed relationship? It must be like people who were abused as children constantly being expected to jump through hoops and self-identify as Victim when in fact they moved from Victim to Survivor to Recovered decades ago. I hope all the members of The Smiths Collective have moved on from victimhood to recovery as this tale is old and is brain-crushingly boring to have to deal with yet again.

Morrissey, quite correctly, inveighs against the endless "We Want The Smiths" bullshit so, in fact, Johnny Marr is being incredibly supportive with this oblique strategy. Anyone who reads a diss of Morrissey into this is delusional. Oh, wait! Nearly his entire fan-base are delusional and that's why he needs to keep calm and carry on with the slow-build, slow-burn word of mouth stuff for his incredible new music. And the same applies to Johnny Marr whose patient exposition of his upcycling and re-imagining of "Johnny Marr" is a joy to behold, despite the frustration and setbacks of his hand injury.

If Morrissey and Marr ever reconvene I hope it's for artistic re-ignition, not to pay the taxman or fund bling lifestyle crap. Yesterday I booked to see Robert Plant at Wolves Civic. He's not about to meet his 'fans' expectations either, having jumped from the burning Zeppelin and found a new life. His 'do it once for charidee but never again' return to Zepp in 2007 was hilarious and provided a dignified and exciting bookmark to those turbulent adventures. But now he's moved on to other ones, as has Johnny Marr and, finally, Morrissey.

I'd love to see the last few albums re-mixed, upcyled, re-imagined by Joe Chiccarelli to rescue the songs from Dad Rock American Radio Hell. To hear the rump, redundant 'fans' complain about 'too much accordian' shows how drastic the challenge Morrissey faces in finding artistic freedom. No wonder the tour collapsed. Imagine coming out each night and facing you lot! I'd rather eat my own testicles. Actually, I can do that as I'm double-jointed but I'll stay on topic for once.

Last night I saw The Del Ray Rockets play in a tiny pub in a tiny village in Herefordshire. No curfew, blasting away till after midnight with their fantastic music. I first saw them supporting The Polecats at the Irish Centre in Brum and nearly feinted with joy at the quality. I don't think they've notice "BrummieBoy" lurking at their gigs yet as he's the master of disguise so nobody realises he's there. Bit like Morrissey when he's spotted in various places in his flat cap. LOL! The Del Ray Rockest would make a really great opening act now and then for Morrissey but perhaps he's never been alerted to them by Boz Boozer? That's a shame, but there we go.

Johnny Marr is right to protest Pay To Play but there's ways around it with House Gigs and other venues. Robert Plant jumped on stage on New Year's Eve with the Del Ray Rockets and sang a few toons. We have a slogan "Music Is Local & Social and/or Corporate and Global". I've no idea if the Del Ray Rockets want global stardom but they 'deserve' it, alongside loads of other wonderful musicians and entertainers. But not all of them will get it. Maybe not Morrissey. Does it matter? No, it doesn't.

If you want to write and play music and share it, that's fine. If you think by doing so it gives you an Entitlement Agenda to World Fame, then think again because "World Fame Is None Of Your Business". It doesn't work like that. You have to do the work then let go of the outcomes and leave it to Fate, Fortuna or G*d. And you have to stop paying attention to ridiculous journalists and publications like the NME. I revoked the fatwa and ordered 'appropriate' coverage of Morrissey's new project. I'm disappointed to read that the same old tricks are being employed to derail Morrissey in revenge for Finsbury Park. I'll have to root out the remaining dissidents.

Morrissey has been forgiven, we've all moved on and so has he with his new master opus. I'm hopeful that Johnny Marr's next record will also be a path-finder breakthrough work of beauty and inspiration and also that Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke finally emerge from stasis to fulfill their potential as musicians and writers. Watching Marr blast out his Punk-Mod versions of songs he conjured into existence whilst part of The Smiths Collective is utterly inspirational. His version of London isn't just cathartic, it's medicinal balm for the soul weary.

I wonder if Morrissey's seen Johnny play live yet? *thinking*. Marr was awesome at Digbeth Institute on St Paddy's Eve last year and we hope he returns to The Green Mile soon. Though he's on to Wolves Civic and the bigger venues now. I can see him becoming the heir to Paul Weller and playing those forest gigs in a few years if the new material is as good as I hope for. It's not the Olympics, this isn't a musical Mount Olympus. There is room for everyone to play and enjoy music but not for everyone to be 'stars'. Who'd want to be a 'star' anyway as it's the definition of mental illness.

Finally, I play 5 a side with some prison guards and there is a lot of anger about the ban on guitar strings. Folsom Prison Blues Redux. I love how Johnny makes uses a micro-issue to blast the cruelties and hypocrisy of The Coalition. Sometimes 'less is more'. No idea if Morrissey's studying Johnny Marr's sublte, effective PR campaign as he recuperates from recent dramas. It's clear that somebody smart is orchestrating it. Probably Johnny! Johnny always exhibited the potential to be the sharpest tool in the box, even when a youngster on safari to pubs on Cannock Chase and in Moseley. So much wonderful music has been ruined by 'fame games'. It's time to detoxify the whole cultural landscape and make it fit for purpose 'going forward'. "World Peace Is None Of Your Business" is part of that process, as Robert Plant's "The Ceaseless Roar" and "Strictly Not Fluffy" by The Del Ray Rockets. I'm hopeful that Johnny Marr's new album project builds on the great work of "The Messenger" to join that list.

So, Metallica top the bill at Glastonbury. That's great. And also, who cares? I had the choice of Glasto or local pub rockabilly with The Del Ray Rockets. No contest. Mass audiences are for the moronic. Niche clique is where it's at. Mostly. Unless your Percy Plant in which case both are possible and necessary. Will Morrissey or Marr get to top Glastonbury totem pole first? Who cares.....it's just music. The situation in Syria continues. "World Peace Is Small Heath's Business" Etc. Wish I had time to play some music but no such luck Maybe in retirment. I need to cheer myself up this morning as still hungover from The Pogues in Bristol and there's a mad day of work ahead, so let's finish with uplifting positivity from Johnny Marr and the awesome title track of "The Messenger". Wolves Civic Fri 17/10, Arsenal v Hull on Sat then flash train to Cardiff for Johnny again and The Big Night Out on St Mary's Street. That will be one especially mad weekend for TheBrummieGooner *wink*

best wishes
"BrummieBoy"

ps: The Secretary tried to post here the other night. We stopped her. If that data was auto-saved by your system and ever escapes breaking online protocol: your organisation is toast. Srsly.

Last edited by a moderator:
What an idiotic thing to ask.

It is hard to imagine these days but there was a time when the NME employed some of the finest writers the profession could muster. This question would shame s student paper.

I understand it must be really irritating for him to get asked about Morrissey/The Smiths all the time, but if he feels that way he should politely tell the journalist he doesn't want any questions about him before the interview.

He doesn't need to be so snappy about it.

There's absolutely no way that Morrissey and Marr don't listen to each other's stuff. Of course they do. Whether they enjoy it or not is another matter.

I have empathy for Mr. Marr's "plight", but it's stunning he doesn't realize The Smiths are the only reason they're interviewing him, & Morrissey was half the reason (at least) why The Smiths worked. Retrospective nonsense, I know, but he should've never left in such an unprofessional & petulant manner (but he was simply responding to Morrissey's general immaturity & petulance, I get it). Just take a break! Why abandon the gold? Now everyone (almost) would be delighted at at least a perfunctory Smiths reunion (Marr included up 'til a year ago), but Moz is holding a grudge. Maybe now that Moz has shot himself in the foot one too many times (good album notwithstanding), I hope we get a big 'ol Smiths last hurrah in two years, as Moz calls it a day.

The journo probably figured that the best way to get publicity and generate page views for Marr articles is to mention Morrissey. The stark reality is that Marr is neither as famous nor as interesting as Morrissey.

Excellent interview ruined by downer final question. If Johnny Marr wanted to express a view on Morrissey's new material he'd volunteer it. It's a shame the interviewer posed the question but, doubtless would have got a smacked arse from the Editor if he hadn't trolled Johnny at the end. Now the Editor will feel my wrath and roar.....

Q: "What do you think of Morrissey's new album, if you've heard any of it?"

A: "[pause] Did you hear that? That question was the sound of the bar lowering"

[sigh] Imagine you've had a traumatic divorce and yet, decades later, everyone wants to define every step of your life journey, you curriculum vitae, by that collapsed relationship? It must be like people who were abused as children constantly being expected to jump through hoops and self-identify as Victim when in fact they moved from Victim to Survivor to Recovered decades ago. I hope all the members of The Smiths Collective have moved on from victimhood to recovery as this tale is old and is brain-crushingly boring to have to deal with yet again.

Morrissey, quite correctly, inveighs against the endless "We Want The Smiths" bullshit so, in fact, Johnny Marr is being incredibly supportive with this oblique strategy. Anyone who reads a diss of Morrissey into this is delusional. Oh, wait! Nearly his entire fan-base are delusional and that's why he needs to keep calm and carry on with the slow-build, slow-burn word of mouth stuff for his incredible new music. And the same applies to Johnny Marr whose patient exposition of his upcycling and re-imagining of "Johnny Marr" is a joy to behold, despite the frustration and setbacks of his hand injury.

If Morrissey and Marr ever reconvene I hope it's for artistic re-ignition, not to pay the taxman or fund bling lifestyle crap. Yesterday I booked to see Robert Plant at Wolves Civic. He's not about to meet his 'fans' expectations either, having jumped from the burning Zeppelin and found a new life. His 'do it once for charidee but never again' return to Zepp in 2007 was hilarious and provided a dignified and exciting bookmark to those turbulent adventures. But now he's moved on to other ones, as has Johnny Marr and, finally, Morrissey.

I'd love to see the last few albums re-mixed, upcyled, re-imagined by Joe Chiccarelli to rescue the songs from Dad Rock American Radio Hell. To hear the rump, redundant 'fans' complain about 'too much accordian' shows how drastic the challenge Morrissey faces in finding artistic freedom. No wonder the tour collapsed. Imagine coming out each night and facing you lot! I'd rather eat my own testicles. Actually, I can do that as I'm double-jointed but I'll stay on topic for once.

Last night I saw The Del Ray Rockets play in a tiny pub in a tiny village in Herefordshire. No curfew, blasting away till after midnight with their fantastic music. I first saw them supporting The Polecats at the Irish Centre in Brum and nearly feinted with joy at the quality. I don't think they've notice "BrummieBoy" lurking at their gigs yet as he's the master of disguise so nobody realises he's there. Bit like Morrissey when he's spotted in various places in his flat cap. LOL! The Del Ray Rockest would make a really great opening act now and then for Morrissey but perhaps he's never been alerted to them by Boz Boozer? That's a shame, but there we go.

Johnny Marr is right to protest Pay To Play but there's ways around it with House Gigs and other venues. Robert Plant jumped on stage on New Year's Eve with the Del Ray Rockets and sang a few toons. We have a slogan "Music Is Local & Social and/or Corporate and Global". I've no idea if the Del Ray Rockets want global stardom but they 'deserve' it, alongside loads of other wonderful musicians and entertainers. But not all of them will get it. Maybe not Morrissey. Does it matter? No, it doesn't.

If you want to write and play music and share it, that's fine. If you think by doing so it gives you an Entitlement Agenda to World Fame, then think again because "World Fame Is None Of Your Business". It doesn't work like that. You have to do the work then let go of the outcomes and leave it to Fate, Fortuna or G*d. And you have to stop paying attention to ridiculous journalists and publications like the NME. I revoked the fatwa and ordered 'appropriate' coverage of Morrissey's new project. I'm disappointed to read that the same old tricks are being employed to derail Morrissey in revenge for Finsbury Park. I'll have to root out the remaining dissidents.

Morrissey has been forgiven, we've all moved on and so has he with his new master opus. I'm hopeful that Johnny Marr's next record will also be a path-finder breakthrough work of beauty and inspiration and also that Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke finally emerge from stasis to fulfill their potential as musicians and writers. Watching Marr blast out his Punk-Mod versions of songs he conjured into existence whilst part of The Smiths Collective is utterly inspirational. His version of London isn't just cathartic, it's medicinal balm for the soul weary.

I wonder if Morrissey's seen Johnny play live yet? *thinking*. Marr was awesome at Digbeth Institute on St Paddy's Eve last year and we hope he returns to The Green Mile soon. Though he's on to Wolves Civic and the bigger venues now. I can see him becoming the heir to Paul Weller and playing those forest gigs in a few years if the new material is as good as I hope for. It's not the Olympics, this isn't a musical Mount Olympus. There is room for everyone to play and enjoy music but not for everyone to be 'stars'. Who'd want to be a 'star' anyway as it's the definition of mental illness.

Finally, I play 5 a side with some prison guards and there is a lot of anger about the ban on guitar strings. Folsom Prison Blues Redux. I love how Johnny makes uses a micro-issue to blast the cruelties and hypocrisy of The Coalition. Sometimes 'less is more'. No idea if Morrissey's studying Johnny Marr's sublte, effective PR campaign as he recuperates from recent dramas. It's clear that somebody smart is orchestrating it. Probably Johnny! Johnny always exhibited the potential to be the sharpest tool in the box, even when a youngster on safari to pubs on Cannock Chase and in Moseley. So much wonderful music has been ruined by 'fame games'. It's time to detoxify the whole cultural landscape and make it fit for purpose 'going forward'. "World Peace Is None Of Your Business" is part of that process, as Robert Plant's "The Ceaseless Roar" and "Strictly Not Fluffy" by The Del Ray Rockets. I'm hopeful that Johnny Marr's new album project builds on the great work of "The Messenger" to join that list.

So, Metallica top the bill at Glastonbury. That's great. And also, who cares? I had the choice of Glasto or local pub rockabilly with The Del Ray Rockets. No contest. Mass audiences are for the moronic. Niche clique is where it's at. Mostly. Unless your Percy Plant in which case both are possible and necessary. Will Morrissey or Marr get to top Glastonbury totem pole first? Who cares.....it's just music. The situation in Syria continues. "World Peace Is Small Heath's Business" Etc. Wish I had time to play some music but no such luck Maybe in retirment. I need to cheer myself up this morning as still hungover from The Pogues in Bristol and there's a mad day of work ahead, so let's finish with uplifting positivity from Johnny Marr and the awesome title track of "The Messenger". Wolves Civic Fri 17/10, Arsenal v Hull on Sat then flash train to Cardiff for Johnny again and The Big Night Out on St Mary's Street. That will be one especially mad weekend for TheBrummieGooner *wink*

best wishes
"BrummieBoy"

ps: The Secretary tried to post here the other night. We stopped her. If that data was auto-saved by your system and ever escapes breaking online protocol: your organisation is toast. Srsly.

Hi Moz. You're heading to No.1. I still have that blue towel from the old days. The spirit hasn't flown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marr's last 'The Messenger' album is fantastic, his playing has lost nothing and some of the current music he is writing is matching anything else he's ever done. Like Morrissey, he doesn't feel the need or see the point in reforming or dwelling on the past. I don't know what would have become of Morrissey had Johnny not knocked his door in Kings Rd, but I have no doubt whatsoever that Marr had the talent, drive and connections to have emerged as an influential player at that time in one band or another. Those songs and riffs would have manifested themselves somewhere. I really don't understand why people criticize him, he's done nothing wrong. so he left a band 20 odd years ago...does anyone really still care?

I'd be a prick too, if every 10th facebook message or youtube comment was about how great Moz would be singing on top of this track instead, how much better Moz's lyrics are, how much better Moz's voice is...etc. And these kind of comments only refer back to The Smiths, never The The, Electronic, Modest Mouse, etc...

It's like after The Smiths no one gave a f*** about him, and now that he is more in the spotlight, they only give a f*** if he reunites The Smiths or says something nice about Morrissey.

maybe he should consider that without the smiths (which means morrissey), nobody would be asking him any f***ing questions and there's a possiblity he would never had a single album out in the public domain. he's talented for sure but how many talented people never got the breaks he did? needs to show a bit gratitude, perspective, humility.

The man hasn't put his name to a great song since the Smiths split, and the reason for that is because it was Morrissey who transposed his music into great songs; when relying on others (or himself) to craft vocal melodies and lyrics, he is never going to deliver songs in the same league as those of The Smiths: in other words, the Smiths are his lasting legacy, and he's got Morrissey (and to a lesser extent Andy Rourke, John Porter and Stephen Street) to thank for that. If it wasn't for the Smiths and Morrissey, nobody would give a toss about him, and he's happily traded on that for the best part of 30 years. He is 'Johnny Marr, ex-Smith'. A bit late to be getting touchy about it.

This is nuts. He’s a great songwriter and an incredible guitar player.

It's obviously a humorous response to the interviewer adding that last bit on to the question. The question was something he no doubt couldn't be arsed answering (again) and he's knocked out a joke to deal with it. Not a reason for Moz fans to get bitter.

What an obseqious bunch of arse a lot of these comments are. Both Moz and Marr are 27 years past The Smiths now. Good as The Smiths were, that was then, this is now. If every time I spoke to someone they asked me about a relationship I had that ended 27 years ago, I'd tell them to go away.

Can't you take the high road for once in your useless-since-1987 life

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom