Johnny Marr announces new double album

A new JM song and the usual round of reactions huffing that he has failed to provide Strangeways Part 2 or match the heights of the unrepeatable experience that was the Smiths yet again. Quelle surprise.

This is a good natural extension of "Armatopia" and sounds sure to go down a storm live. Good on John for beavering away in quarantine to make two albums worth of material.

Lots of views and positive comments on Johnny's new single. 31k on You Tube, 37k on Twitter and 49k on Instagram within a day of it appearing. May be a reason BMG signed him as he has 800k followers across social media.

Last edited:
Just curious to know way he settled for a double album. I hope it means the 2 LPs each have their own musical direction.
Because 2 LPs of songs sounding like New Order would be too much for me (I am not a big fan of that band). That beving sai, this could still be a good moment to bring Bernard Summer back in on a couple of songs.
I like Mr Marr but I find a regular album of his hard enough to sit through - I think it's his monotonous voice and vague/empty lyrics that are half the problem. This new song seems pretty good though.
I've noticed a few groups/acts doing double albums these days. I think putting (physical) albums out has become so expensive that if you usually write, say, 5 or 6 songs per year, it makes sense to put these on a double album after 4 years rather than a regular album every two.

Last edited:
I like Mr Marr but I find a regular album of his hard pretty to sit through - I think it's his monotonous voice and vague/empty lyrics that are half the problem. This new song seems pretty good though.
I've noticed a few groups/acts doing double albums these days. I think putting (physical) albums out has become so expensive that if you usually write, say, 5 or 6 songs per year, it makes sense to put these on a double album after 4 years rather than a regular album every two.

I agree, there's some stuff on his albums I like a lot but there are also some fillers on them, same goes for Morrissey on his later albums but that's just my opinion. I much prefer Morrissey's singing voice and he's obviously a better writer but I prefer the energy and delivery from Johnny when it comes to live performance. So I like them both but for different reasons.

I agree, there's some stuff on his albums I like a lot but there are also some fillers on them, same goes for Morrissey on his later albums but that's just my opinion. I much prefer Morrissey's singing voice and he's obviously a better writer but I prefer the energy and delivery from Johnny when it comes to live performance. So I like them both but for different reasons.

Yes, I've much enjoyed the 4 or 5 times I've seen JM play. Odd thing is, though, despite having tons of his own songs now, he only seems to come truly alive when he's singing Morrissey's lyrics. Go figure!

A new JM song and the usual round of reactions huffing that he has failed to provide Strangeways Part 2 or match the heights of the unrepeatable experience that was the Smiths yet again. Quelle surprise.

Sounds a familiar story, the usual criticisms thrown at Morrissey.
Quelle surprise.

Unfortunately Marr is still traveling in the safe lane. One would hope or think that with Marr’s guitar skills he would venture into something more interesting, deeper. Obviously he doesn’t feel the need to, guess the same could be said for Morrissey, in the musical directions he has chosen, even if IANADOAC is a bit of a (fresh for him)detour.

I like the below vids, and hearing them, I’d welcome a bluesy-jazz influenced instrumental album from Marr, to my ear, would be far more interesting, and moving. ... maybe there will be some of this on these next EP’s :pray:

Nothing special for me – no vocal melody and he’s just rehashing his earlier Electronic / Pet Shop Boys kind of sound.
I wish he wouldn’t try so desperately hard to look ‘cool’, it's painful.

I like Mr Marr but I find a regular album of his hard enough to sit through - I think it's his monotonous voice and vague/empty lyrics that are half the problem. This new song seems pretty good though.
My thoughts too. I bought his last 2 albums and they both have their moments, but his voice and words fail to grab my attention whereas the muical intros are often very good. I will certainly listen to his next album, but I just feel it needs something extra - like geest singers or a clear difference in musical style between the 2 LPs to make it really worthwhile.

Yes, there have been fillers and even some missers on later Morrissey albums (that is post V & I for me). And the same goes for many other artists. Fact for me is that the best Morrissey songs still tower well above those of Johnny (and of most other artists).

I like the below vids, and hearing them, I’d welcome a bluesy-jazz influenced instrumental album from Marr, to my ear, would be far more interesting, and moving. ... maybe there will be some of this on these next EP’s :pray:

Wow, another great discovery.

Just curious to know way he settled for a double album. I hope it means the 2 LPs each have their own musical direction.
Because 2 LPs of songs sounding like New Order would be too much for me (I am not a big fan of that band). That beving sai, this could still be a good moment to bring Bernard Summer back in on a couple of songs.
Yeah let's just get Electronic back together. At least we're used to Barney's nonsense lyrics that mean nothing and go nowhere. I don't mean that as an insult. It's not easy writing those type of lyrics because they don't really sound like nonsense when you hear the songs and they flow beautifully. When most others write meaningless lyrics they come off as cringe, much like this song.

I commend Johnny Marr for being a frontman but his vocals are so one note that once you've heard a few songs, an entire album is a long haul. His melodies just don't go anywhere interesting.

Nothing special for me – no vocal melody and he’s just rehashing his earlier Electronic / Pet Shop Boys kind of sound.
I wish he wouldn’t try so desperately hard to look ‘cool’, it's painful.

Who should he look like then, Morrissey?

New song sounds great although for some reason, as much as I truly love his work with The Smiths, The The and as a guitar player myself much respect but I just cannot warm to his Solo stuff.

lyrics are generally too abstract, music is all a bit meh.
I feel the same way. i mean it's not bad, but will i give it a second listen? Nope.

Who should he look like then, Morrissey?
He's a good looking guy who has aged incredibly well, that should be more than enough. He just tries very hard to project a 'cool', youthful, almost teenage sort of image at times. All the posturing with the guitar, the facial expressions, the 'Johnny f***ing Marr' thing... it's just a bit cringeworthy.

Nothing to frighten the kidz. The boy done good. Top bloke. Legend. Icon. Way Cool fella. Would love to have a pint of hummus with him. Get in!

And so forth... :sleeping:

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom