Johnny Marr: ‘A lot of people don’t even want to see The Smiths reform’

Johnny Marr: ‘A lot of people don’t even want to see The Smiths reform’ - The Irish Times
The former Smiths guitarist on his third album, ‘Call the Comet’ – his most personal yet – and why he's happy to stay solo

Excerpt:

“The The reforming was a proposition that I had to think about. I played on the comeback single and playing with The The is a really great part of my story. So I guess if I was gonna join another band – and I didn’t join The The – I probably won’t join anybody. But I will be open to collaborations again in a couple of years, I think.”

I’m not going to ask that question, I tell him – the one that begins with “will” and ends in “reform” – but he smiles as he admits that he has been asked it less frequently in recent years. “Yeah, much less,” he says. “I think a lot of people don’t even wanna see it happen right now.”

“Everything that I was doing in The Smiths I can do now; but there’s things that I do now that I wouldn’t have had the skill or the mindset to do in The Smiths. I would never have been able to stand in front of a 70-piece orchestra and play to thousands of people, for example.

“So it’s all good. I’m happy with how things have turned out.”

Also:

Honour and good hair: Johnny Marr on what it takes to be in a band - Financial Times (subscription required)

Last edited by a moderator:
All you have to do is listen to ANY of their albums or singles to realize that Joyce and Rourke each brought near 25% to the recordings. Live performance shouldn’t require discussion. Listen to Morrissey talk about his effort and preparation now. That’s always been his thing. The folks round here who rail for justice in terms of how the $$$ were adjudicated for the Smiths have absolute ZERO knowledge of or appreciation for the musical process.

Morrissey was ONE among 4 very important quarters in the magic that was that band. You might like, appreciate, identify with or idolize his contribution above all the others. ...but that’s just a personal (and nonsensical) response to something that was much greater than the sum of its parts.

If Marr, Rourke and Joyce decided to reform, there are dozens of amazing singers out there who could fill Morrissey’s boots.

Morrissey is a f***ing cartoon now. The greatness you so fervently defend (more long for, really) has long since passed. ...as had his ability to contribute, musically.

If the Smiths reunited for a new single with Morrissey, it would be terrible. You know it and I know it. Absolute GARBAGE. At this point, he can’t write, sing or focus on anything but his own need for attention. He’d be below 15%. ...and the others would probably do what - perhaps - they should have done in the first place... Kick his whiny, wanker-ass the f*** out and carry on with someone else. Dime a dozen, once the ego takes over.

NOBODY wants a Smiths reunion with Morrissey. ...and Morrissey fans are welcome to the bland, beige, elevator garbage that they’re all so f***ing thrilled to uphold as “music”.

Just a daft lot of grey-sludge waders on a trek to nowhere. You enjoy.

“Why do you come here...?”

“Why do you come here...?”
Auto-Accident-Lawyer_Orlando-FL.jpg

All you have to do is listen to ANY of their albums or singles to realize that Joyce and Rourke each brought near 25% to the recordings. Live performance shouldn’t require discussion. Listen to Morrissey talk about his effort and preparation now. That’s always been his thing. The folks round here who rail for justice in terms of how the $$$ were adjudicated for the Smiths have absolute ZERO knowledge of or appreciation for the musical process.

Morrissey was ONE among 4 very important quarters in the magic that was that band. You might like, appreciate, identify with or idolize his contribution above all the others. ...but that’s just a personal (and nonsensical) response to something that was much greater than the sum of its parts.

If Marr, Rourke and Joyce decided to reform, there are dozens of amazing singers out there who could fill Morrissey’s boots.

Morrissey is a f***ing cartoon now. The greatness you so fervently defend (more long for, really) has long since passed. ...as had his ability to contribute, musically.

If the Smiths reunited for a new single with Morrissey, it would be terrible. You know it and I know it. Absolute GARBAGE. At this point, he can’t write, sing or focus on anything but his own need for attention. He’d be below 15%. ...and the others would probably do what - perhaps - they should have done in the first place... Kick his whiny, wanker-ass the f*** out and carry on with someone else. Dime a dozen, once the ego takes over.

NOBODY wants a Smiths reunion with Morrissey. ...and Morrissey fans are welcome to the bland, beige, elevator garbage that they’re all so f***ing thrilled to uphold as “music”.

Moz reunite with the two Lawnmowers? :crazy:
Both sucked back in the day and today they have chubby fingers and cant get their
mitts around their instruments. Mike cant even clutch the drum stick ffs.:lbf:
Even Drama wont have them on their records. Live they need water breaks.:squiffy:

You're an idiot buddy. Oh yes you is.

Both sucked back in the day and today they have chubby fingers and cant get their
Even Drama wont have them on their records. Live they need water breaks.:squiffy:

Ere...they played on some of the greatest rock records ever made, so I don't know where you get "they sucked" from.

Moz would suck, but I hear Damon's been sleeping on the couch. I tell you. Throw a hissy fit and throw a plate of undersalted chips at a guy and he goes all domestic abuse victim. It's pathetic, really.

You mean you want Electronic to reform? Me too.
Yeah but without Pit Stop Bots singing like a West End strangled cat. And with an emphasis on the good Electronic songs like Getting Away With It and Get The Message.
p.s. At the Kill Uncle tour in Dublin a friend of mine up front beside me roared 'Get the message' to Moz. Moz wasn't too happy I can tell you. But he was more disgusted when someone threw him a cigarette during Our Frank. Of course that was nothing compared to poor Phranc getting lighted matches thrown at her. Her response: "Moz told me to expect a warm welcome." :guitar:

I'd rather stick a pick axe up my bumhole than see Morrissey again. I'd happily pay see the rest of the boys though with an alternative non-knob head singer.

I'd rather stick a pick axe up my bumhole than see Morrissey again. I'd happily pay see the rest of the boys though with an alternative non-knob head singer.

Do you know I had exactly the same thought driving home tonight about if they reformed. I loved The Smiths but there's no way I could part with money to watch a performing, racist clown. I feel genuinely sorry for Johnny, Mike, Andy and Craig to be associated with Tosserrey these days.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Well f*** him very much too.
My point is, that you can theorise and call yourself an anti-racist (as Einstein proudly liked to - when he wasn't being 'racist' in his diaries ) but in reality we are all 'racist'.
i.e the word has no real meaning and can be applied to anybody.

My point is, that you can theorise and call yourself an anti-racist (as Einstein proudly liked to - when he wasn't being 'racist' in his diaries ) but in reality we are all 'racist'.
i.e the word has no real meaning and can be applied to anybody.
I'm sorry, the whole "racist has no meaning anymore" is the single dumbest f***ing argument I've ever heard.
If you hold someone's skin color against them, ride with idiot stereotypes, etc etc etc then yes, you're a racist and the word holds meaning. Just because Morrissey is playing a dangerous game and pulling wild statements out of his posterior doesn't mean that he speaks the truth. He's the authority on jack shit. Literally, he is the authority on absolutely nothing in this world.

I'm sorry, the whole "racist has no meaning anymore" is the single dumbest f***ing argument I've ever heard.
If you hold someone's skin color against them, ride with idiot stereotypes, etc etc etc then yes, you're a racist and the word holds meaning. Just because Morrissey is playing a dangerous game and pulling wild statements out of his posterior doesn't mean that he speaks the truth. He's the authority on jack shit. Literally, he is the authority on absolutely nothing in this world.
No, my point is not that the word 'racist' has no meaning anymore

It's that the word 'racist' has never had any meaning -

I
t's a bullshit control word!

Moz would suck, but I hear Damon's been sleeping on the couch. I tell you. Throw a hissy fit and throw a plate of undersalted chips at a guy and he goes all domestic abuse victim. It's pathetic, really.

They could hardly play, they had to fix their parts in the studio.
Mike rocked the house while doing a pub dates with "Vinny Peculiar"doh:LOL
Whoever he may be.doh:

What a coincidence both Chezz and the Halal Butcher had the same idea at once.
Hate to break but both have been :banned: from any Moz shows for years...
so dont pay any attention to their ramblings.:clap:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom