Johnny Marr’s Manchester Derby Playlist (includes "top 5 Smiths songs")

Give me your top 5 Smiths songs?

-How Soon Is Now?
-The Headmaster Ritual
-Bigmouth Strikes Again
-There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
-Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

And finally, what are the top 5 songs you’ve been involved with since the Smiths?

-Get The Message - Electronic
-Dashboard - Modest Mouse
-Slow Emotion Replay - The The
-City Of Bugs - The Cribs
-No Time To Die - Billie Eilish

From greatness to ....

Slow Emotion Replay is absolutely brilliant.

I’ve grown to love that Billie Eilish Bond song. It’s been nominated for an Oscar. I wonder if Johnny will perform it with her at the Oscars.

Slow Emotion Replay is absolutely brilliant.
Yes, for me, it's his best song, post smiths
And the older one gets, the more the lyrics hit home. I quite like a couple of songs he did with Everything But The Girl, also

His soundtrack work is also good. Talented guy. How many guitarists leave a landmark band and go on to do what he has?
A few but not many

Last edited:
Get the Message not too bad either.
The other three are nothing special.
No solo stuff?
Indeed, Marr’s post-Smiths career peaked early. Nevertheless, I’d single out Forbidden City as Electronic’s high point.

Incidentally, I’ve just noticed ASAP is supporting The Chilli Peppers in Manchester; so some recent Morrissey collaborators are themselves coming together in some sense. I don’t think this is insignificant—I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Morrissey making a cameo there (perhaps joining ASAP for a rendition of the song they’ve completed together?).

Indeed, Marr’s post-Smiths career peaked early. Nevertheless, I’d single out Forbidden City as Electronic’s high point.

Incidentally, I’ve just noticed ASAP is supporting The Chilli Peppers in Manchester; so some recent Morrissey collaborators are themselves coming together in some sense. I don’t think this is insignificant—I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Morrissey making a cameo there (perhaps joining ASAP for a rendition of the song they’ve completed together?).
I’d suggest it was Morrissey’s post-Smiths career that peaked early, considering that Marr currently has a top-5 charting album.

I’d be very surprised if Morrissey made a live guest appearance. When was the last time he did such a thing?

What? No Draize Train or Oscillate Wildly? I thought Marr disliked Morrissey singing over his proposed instrumental bits and that these, then, should be his favorites.

I’d suggest it was Morrissey’s post-Smiths career that peaked early, considering that Marr currently has a top-5 charting album.

I’d be very surprised if Morrissey made a live guest appearance. When was the last time he did such a thing?
I think it was when he read Proust for Howard
Great choice, as Prout and Quentin Crisp, were very important to the manchester punk scene
In fact, his early Smiths image was pretty much that of a singing Quentin Crisp

When was the last time Morrissey guested on a rapper’s album?

Low in High School reached number five, in the UK charts.

My top five Johnny songs after the Smiths... This one doesn't take into account feeling bad for leaving friends out.

Electronic- Getting Away With It
Kirsty MacColl- Can't Stop Killing You
The The- The Beaten Generation
Talking Heads- (Nothing but) Flowers
Billy Bragg- Sexuality

Odd that he didn't pick one of his own songs?

Electronic- Getting Away With It
Billy Bragg- Sexuality
Modest Mouse- Missed The Boat
Edwyn Collins- Come Tomorrow, Come Today
Marion - Miyako Hideaway

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom