John Stoddart photos of Morrissey with Pat Phoenix, Ian McCulloch on Getty Images (8 total)

Posted by GirlAfraidWillNeverLearn in the morrissey frink thread!, a series of photos by John Stoddart on Getty Images. Excerpt:

Couple of pictures by John Stoddart I've never seen before.

Morrissey and Pat Phoenix, photographed having a little chat in Alderley Edge for May 1985 issue of Blitz (with Tony Booth checking in on them in one of the shots).

Apparently Morrissey didn't mind Pat smoking either ;) (The red wine might have helped with that...?).
Frighteningly dull outfit on Moz, but well compensated by Pat's substantial glamour. And I love close-ups where you can see his contacts (I'm a bit freakish).

full

full

full

A sign of my age. When I was a kid in the 80s, Pat Phoenix was just that woman behind the bar of the Rovers Return. I remember looking at these photos back then and not batting an eyelid. Now I look at her and think "Christ! She's hot!". She's dead now of course.

Cold, but still hot.

These are fecking brilliant pictures. Ah time...you fickle mistress...

pat phonix was a true icon,having watched a bunch of 70s corrie during lockdown im convinced that she seldom left her house,was rarely in the rovers.great pics,wonder if M and ian will cross paths at the festival,wish they would.

I reckon this is so sad when I see photos of California Son from the 3 years he was kidnapped, held hostage, and injected daily with meth and mind control drugs by Steve Street. I reckon look at California Son's eyes. What you loonies don't realize is that when California Son was in the smiths, he had no idea what he was doing or saying. I reckon I bet that old tranny in the photo with him, stuck its' tranny dick up California Son's ass and he didn't even know what was happening. I reckon Steve Street needs to be extradited to the USA, tried in Moz Angeles, and have California Son's Beverly Hills attorneys tear him apart. I reckon no wonder why California Son hates Brittin and Brittish people chipper curry fek'll he doesn't live in LA anymore beach mouth altrichichichicham impostor fake photo ops inn n n n nnn nnnnn nn n n it.

I remember thinking that Moz was the coolest man about town around that time, with Ian in second place. And I had framed posters of Smiths and Echo in my room.

I transformed my previous coy post and re-posted it with the big-mouthiness I actually had in mind.

Last edited:
Upon learning of the passing of famed producer, Bob Sargeant, and then having to assure myself Bob was not related to Echo And The Bunnymen's, Will Sergeant--whose band I was reminded of when seeing the recently mentioned Stoddart pictures--I rummaged around the net and eventually came across a 1984 dual interview (Morrissey and Ian McCulloch) for #1 magazine. Full article at illnessisart.com.

It's Illnessasart.com

As in the Meat Is Murder etching...

Old Times indeed...

McCulloch was fronting an epic band at the time and felt no threat or anxiety about Moz and his group, he was an incredible front man and the charity shop overcoats, shirts and haircut he made his own. Both bands effectively split in 1987 when both released their final albums. "Heritage Rock" status has been given to the smiths whilst the bunnymen are slightly left behind, perhaps due to their reformation in 1997 that ended their mythic quality to the music press. Look at Anton Corbijn photos of McCulloch in 1982 and see what Moz saw, a northern band uncompromising, cool and carrying the spirit of '72 Bowie and '77 Television into UK post punk Thatcher wasteland. Both Liverpool and Manchester were on their knees during this period as industry had dried up and both bands were insanely patriotic to their respective cities. "It must be hell down there because it's Heaven Up Here!" Indeed Ian.

I saw both bands many times during 1980-86, you couldn't go up against the bunnymen live, they were visceral. When Craig Gannon joined the smiths sound beefed up and was at least progressing beyond their early thin live sound.

Thanks Ian. We all owe you, even Moz, although he may not remember how beautiful and wild you were...

A sign of my age. When I was a kid in the 80s, Pat Phoenix was just that woman behind the bar of the Rovers Return. I remember looking at these photos back then and not batting an eyelid. Now I look at her and think "Christ! She's hot!". She's dead now of course.

Cold, but still hot.
Pat Phoenix was never behind the bar at the Rovers. Are you mixing her up with Julie Goodyear (aka Bet Lynch)?

I reckon this is so sad when I see photos of California Son from the 3 years he was kidnapped, held hostage, and injected daily with meth and mind control drugs by Steve Street. I reckon look at California Son's eyes. What you loonies don't realize is that when California Son was in the smiths, he had no idea what he was doing or saying. I reckon I bet that old tranny in the photo with him, stuck its' tranny dick up California Son's ass and he didn't even know what was happening. I reckon Steve Street needs to be extradited to the USA, tried in Moz Angeles, and have California Son's Beverly Hills attorneys tear him apart. I reckon no wonder why California Son hates Brittin and Brittish people chipper curry fek'll he doesn't live in LA anymore beach mouth altrichichichicham impostor fake photo ops inn n n n nnn nnnnn nn n n it.
Do you really think anyone finds this remotely funny? Not just this post but every / any posts you make with this boring shite. Give it (and us) a break please.

Do you really think anyone finds this remotely funny? Not just this post but every / any posts you make with this boring shite. Give it (and us) a break please.
I'm pretty sure that Tim Berners-Lee, when he was dreaming up the internet, hoped that one day humankind might be able to communicate with each other in the way that Aztec does on this site.

Pat Phoenix was a living legend, an icon to a generation. When she smoked,damn straight Morrissey didn't mind.

I'm pretty sure that Tim Berners-Lee, when he was dreaming up the internet, hoped that one day humankind might be able to communicate with each other in the way that Aztec does on this site.

Mmmm nnn innit mmm nnn. California Son. Mmmm mm nn innit.

"Lady Weatherfield's Fan" :tiphat:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom